Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:07:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689608
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Team Yankee - First game, thoughts and changes  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
Team Yankee - First game, thoughts and changes
« on: November 10, 2021, 07:51:32 PM »

https://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.com/2021/11/team-yankee-first-play-thoughts-and.html

I have done a write up on our first game of #TeamYankee played with Card Activation and range amendments it worked really well, hope to add some helicopters in at the weekend, link above ☝

Thoughts welcome.

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer
"Glittering prizes and endless compromises,  shatter the illusion of integrity"
http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: Team Yankee - First game, thoughts and changes
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 01:31:39 PM »
If you don’t like Team Yankee I suggest looking at “Seven Days to the River Rhine” which is my go-to 1980s set of combined-arms rules. I think one of the forums may have data for Israeli kit.

Offline brunei35

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 04:03:44 PM »
Thanks for posting. Out of curiosity do you play all the cards or do you leave last one unused and then reshuffle?  - as per WoTR Bill Hooks game. Injects a degree of fog of war and frustration into plans in the few games I have played. Wonder ,if you do, how it works out in a modern game?

Offline commanderkaiser

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 04:26:01 PM »
Nice write up. I do really enjoy Team Yankee but you’ve made some interesting changes. Not quite sure why some people seem so angry at it though!

Personally my biggest issue has always been about armour rating on tanks, I’d much rather have front side and rear then just a front or rear rating.
Unless somethings changed since I last played of course.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 05:30:39 PM »
A.  Wonderful set-up, figs, vehicles, and battle report.  Well done.

B.  I like the idea of card=driven turn sequence.  My group and I are using that type of mechanism more and more in our games.

C.  And I agree with commanderkaiser.  As a former armor/cavalry officer, most modern tanks should indeed have different ratings for front, side, and rear armor.   
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 06:39:24 PM »
Great looking game  8)

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 09:24:42 PM »
Thanks everyone,

If you don’t like Team Yankee I suggest looking at “Seven Days to the River Rhine” which is my go-to 1980s set of combined-arms rules. I think one of the forums may have data for Israeli kit.

I do talk about that on the blog post, I like the Team Yankee presentation, unit cards etc and wanted to see if we could make a playable game of it before I tried anything else. I have a list of a list of alternatives if TY doesn't work, the 7DttR Israeli lists are for Yom Kippor in 73.

Thanks for posting. Out of curiosity do you play all the cards or do you leave last one unused and then reshuffle?  - as per WoTR Bill Hooks game. Injects a degree of fog of war and frustration into plans in the few games I have played. Wonder ,if you do, how it works out in a modern game?

At present we play all the cards, reshuffle and go again. Other games we play using card activation we use Event Cards and Tea Break Cards (like Toofatlardies) but at present we are working our way through the rules and experience tells us not to add to much or change too much at any one time. It's something we will look at when we are happy with all the rules.

Commanderkaiser and CapnJim Team Yankee has Front, Side and Top armour values for each vehicle.

I don't know why people get angry either but he's at it again on FB on this post, the big surprise is it wasn't on TMP lol

All the best Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer

Offline brunei35

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2021, 07:34:47 AM »
Thanks for response. Look forward to how you develop rule set. Cheers

Offline commanderkaiser

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 10:24:00 PM »
Commanderkaiser and CapnJim Team Yankee has Front, Side and Top armour values for each vehicle.

I could be wrong so apologies if so (it’s been quite awhile since I last played lol)
I mean I’d personally prefer to see different values for front, rear, and side. From memory the value for rear and side is lumped together and is the same and I’m sure it’s the same in FoW. So as an example I’d like it be something along these lines 4 front, 3 side, 2 rear if that makes sense. Rather than 4 front, 3 side & rear.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2021, 12:36:55 AM »

Yep, I remember that.  But my point was that many modern AFVs have less effective rear armor than side armor. That's all.   

And I don't know why folks get their knickers in a twist about the game, either.  The rules are fine enough (regardless of my armor comment).  Not a fan of hub-to-hub vehicle deployment, but that's a function of how some folks play the game, not the rules themselves.  And I can see you guys don't do that.  ;)