Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:55:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Two Games of 'Mead Price'  (Read 1027 times)

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
Two Games of 'Mead Price'
« on: August 07, 2023, 06:58:41 PM »
After something of a gaming hiatus Martin and I got together to push soldiers around, roll dice and shout "Hurrah!"
Neither of us felt like anything especially brain taxing so we settled on using chum James' fast play Dark Age rules 'Mead Price'

We both had Romano British/Late Roman forces - mine mostly Footsore, Martin's mostly Gripping Beast.

We formed traditional battle lines, with our Warlords in the centre.

Soon the lines were closing

Resulting in bloody combat as the hearthguard clashed

There's a lengthier post (and more pictures) over on my blog: http://tomstoysoldiers.blogspot.com/2023/08/two-games-of-mead-price.html

Mead Price plays "fast and dirty" but has a suitably Dark Age feel to it.
You can download the rules for FREE here https://mogsymakes.files.wordpress.com/2023/07/mead-price-1.pdf

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
Re: Two Games of 'Mead Price'
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 09:16:19 AM »
Thank you for sharing, those rules are just up my alley - and your figures look gorgeous! You could easily add a small mechanic allowing for champions to fight it out before the lines met, causing a small loss of reputation to the loser if the challenge was accepted and lost. Again, thank you for sharing these  :)

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 12:58:36 PM »
Thanks for those rules they look a great option for a quick Dark Age bash.  Will certainly give them a try over coming months with my Winter King armies.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 02:58:33 PM »
Thank you for sharing, those rules are just up my alley - and your figures look gorgeous! You could easily add a small mechanic allowing for champions to fight it out before the lines met, causing a small loss of reputation to the loser if the challenge was accepted and lost. Again, thank you for sharing these  :)

Absolutely you could. James wrote these as (very) fast play for demoing wargames to complete newbies recently at Sutton Hoo: https://mogsymakes.net/2023/07/31/wargaming-the-age-of-the-anglo-saxons-at-sutton-hoo/
So I think man to man combat (whilst very Dark Age) was a level of detail too far!
His forthcoming Midgard (later this year hopefully from Too Fat Lardies) rules definitely have those extra levels of detail in.

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 07:16:59 PM »
Ah, that’s excellent news! I’ve been looking for just such a ruleset for fast-play intro games for some time, and this one fits the bill nicely - tell him that he did a fine job when you see him, and that I am looking forward to his TFL release ;)