Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:05:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Infamy Infamy! - Romans v Goths, Devon Wargames Group  (Read 1496 times)

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
Infamy Infamy! - Romans v Goths, Devon Wargames Group
« on: November 13, 2021, 07:48:09 AM »
The final game to feature at last month's meeting of the Devon Wargames Group was a very nice Romans versus Goths match up using 'Infamy Infamy!' from the Lardies.

Much fun was had by all so if you would like to see how the game played then just follow the link to the club blog.

https://devonwargames.blogspot.com/2021/11/infamy-infamy-romans-versus-goths.html

JJ
Often it is better to remain silent and let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and remove all possible doubt.

http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Infamy Infamy! - Romans v Goths, Devon Wargames Group
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 10:21:11 AM »
Lovely eye candy on the blog.
 :-*

Offline pallard

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 11:33:14 AM »
I'm very happy to see another adaptation of the great rule set Infamy Infamy to a later period. I tried them for my third century Romans versus Alamans and it worked quite well, with minor adaptations.
I'd like to see more technical impressions: did you find some issues in the rules ccncerning for instance armour, or barbarian behaviour? Great game apparently!
Philippe

Online Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 11:38:20 AM »
Delightful looking game  :-* :-* :-*

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 02:45:19 PM »
Cheers Darrel!

Online Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 02:53:45 PM »
Cheers Darrel!

I'd love to see how you adapted Infamy for the latter period. I'm guessing a lot of Limitanei backed up by some Limitanei cavalry?

Offline MikeRC97

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2021, 04:16:41 PM »
I think a Late Antiquity adaptation would be great for the annual Lard Magazine similar to how last year's magazine included rules for the 100 days campaign for Sharp Practice.

Things like special rules for Cataphractarii / Clibanarii and armored horse archers to reflect the dominance of cavalry in the 5th and 6th century.

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2021, 08:24:00 PM »
I'd like to see more technical impressions: did you find some issues in the rules ccncerning for instance armour, or barbarian behaviour? Great game apparently!
Philippe

I think, like all rule sets, once you get used to the way they work then you can cruise along quite comfortably. The Defence dice and armour rolls are not an issue and they do a good job of imitating teh Romans defensive stance in combat. The Goths are less frothy than ancient Germans so they miss out on thing like fanatics but they still rely on a mighty charge and having to build up your men intoa fervour in order to tip the balance in a charge is very characterful. You miss those bonuses in the subsequent rounds of combat. Both sides play quite differently and both having a learning curve.

I think a Late Antiquity adaptation would be great for the annual Lard Magazine similar to how last year's magazine included rules for the 100 days campaign for Sharp Practice.

Things like special rules for Cataphractarii / Clibanarii and armored horse archers to reflect the dominance of cavalry in the 5th and 6th century.

Your not the first to suggest I write something up for the Mag and I might do. Cataphractarii / Clibanarii are a bit beyond the scope of my games at the moment though as I can't really see them being invloved in actions of the level of Infamy! Infamy! but i'm sure someoen has more expertise on the subject than me.

Cheers

Col

Offline MikeRC97

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2021, 04:08:29 AM »

Your not the first to suggest I write something up for the Mag and I might do. Cataphractarii / Clibanarii are a bit beyond the scope of my games at the moment though as I can't really see them being invloved in actions of the level of Infamy! Infamy! but i'm sure someoen has more expertise on the subject than me.

In terms of rules for Cataphractarii / Clibanarii I think one level above Elite Mounted Warriors in close combat (so 12D6?) and heavy armour would be a good starting point. 

Not sure how appropriate they are for the scale of Infamy Infamy but Cataphractarii were used by Julian ("the Apostate") in his campaign against the Franks and the Alamanni (mid-4th century), sometimes in cavalry only raids in German territory.

Online Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2021, 07:28:22 AM »
In terms of rules for Cataphractarii / Cataphractarii  I think one level above Elite Mounted Warriors in close combat (so 12D6?) and heavy armour would be a good starting point.

Not sure how appropriate they are for the scale of Infamy Infamy but Cataphractarii were used by Julian ("the Apostate") in his campaign against the Franks and the Alamanni (mid-4th century), sometimes in cavalry only raids in German territory.

You're right about the reference to Julian ("the Apostate") in his campaign against the Franks but in general Cataphractarii  and Clibinarii were used mostly in major battles literally as Shock Cavalry. They were, we think(!) mostly heavily armoured barded types though this might not be an exclusive club with some Sholae Equites "types" possibly being put into the mix.

I'm not sure how common it would be to see Cataphractarii in a policing role?

There is obviously no argument that they would not look spectacular in an Infamy game!

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2021, 10:31:28 AM »
I worry that they'd be a bit 'tanky', just wandering around the board bashing up units. I wouldn't create a new level for them but leave them at elite and give them the +2 for being drilled troops with enemy to the front. I'd be tempted to hobble them a bit when it comes to speed as well (i'm sure I read a reference to them 'walking' into contact with the enemy) as the armour would slow the horses down. Would there be an argument for them having to use the defence dice like other drilled troops? This would make them less deadly but certainly allow them to stick around in combat for a bit longer.

Online Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2021, 11:15:10 AM »
I worry that they'd be a bit 'tanky', just wandering around the board bashing up units. I wouldn't create a new level for them but leave them at elite and give them the +2 for being drilled troops with enemy to the front. I'd be tempted to hobble them a bit when it comes to speed as well (i'm sure I read a reference to them 'walking' into contact with the enemy) as the armour would slow the horses down. Would there be an argument for them having to use the defence dice like other drilled troops? This would make them less deadly but certainly allow them to stick around in combat for a bit longer.

Historically speaking Cataphractarii were hobbled. They were a bit of a one trick pony- if they got it right it usually crushed the enemy. They were trained to fight in very close order, one might say almost like infantry so if they were somehow outflanked they should suffer the consequences. Limiting their ability to "wheel" around would be a good idea along with reducing their movement. So very tough in a face to face confrontation but easily outflanked by enemy cavalry as well as limited in their movement rate.

A great example of this would be Costatine at the Battle of the Milvian Bridge. He basically outflanked his enemies Cataphractarii thus neutralising their effectiveness.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2021, 01:10:20 PM »
Great looking game, I like the idea of Infamy, Infamy like that.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/