Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:24:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: ECW 2mm  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Octavian

• Lurker
ECW 2mm
« on: November 15, 2021, 05:28:01 PM »
I have found some post from a few years ago on playing 2mm ECW. I have recently got the 2mm bug, as it allows me to play periods on my wishlist on a grand scale, but with the minimum of costs.
I have started thinking about ECW, and the mounting of Irregular figures (the only figure provider I have come across in U.K.). I planning to use 120mm frontage base. Has anyone got advice on base sizes, and how to represent the different formation? Would you go with one large formation of 4 smaller attached to one base.
Still deciding on rules, but thinking of For King and Parliament, because I have used their ancient rules and like them.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: ECW 2mm
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 05:51:34 PM »
A 12cm frontage base with 2mm figures will be enormous. Even at 1 to 1 a standard 250-300 man batallia would not take up that amount of space. At that size you are looking at each base being a multi battalia tercio (in the ECW use of the term). Impressive but very limiting on battles (you can only do the biggest ones) and means you have to abstract out any small terrain (or really any terrain) on the table.
I would think a 60mm frontage would work better.

Figure wise the Forward March 3d print figures are far superior to the Irregular range and by buying the files you can get them printed anywhere. They already do a 60mm frontage single base batallia of pike with 2 shot wings.

I am not familiar with the FK&P rules so cannot comment on their suitability, but if you are considering options I think Liber Militum: Tercios is the best set for this period but Impetus/Baroque is also excellent. Both are 1 base 1 unit format so suit what you want.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 06:38:56 PM »
I’m a big fan of FK&P - as it is grid based each unit is one base, with the base size driving the grid - for example if you go with 60mm wide bases, then a grid of around 3” would work well. The grid needs to be a little bigger than the unit frontage, we play in 10mm, with 3x40mm bases on a sabot forming a unit, so our unit frontage is about 13cm, we play on a 6” grid.

I agree with Rob that 120mm frontage with 2mm figures sounds huge.

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 12:52:20 PM »
I'd be very interested to see the Forward March minis.

6cm wide units would work nicely with a 7.5cm grid, or 8cm on a 10cm grid.  Either would work with chits or mini playing cards.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 11:21:41 PM »
I'd be very interested to see the Forward March minis.

Here are 3 of the many Renaissance era "formation" unit models. The pike & shot elements are also available individually. Also Camps, Fortifications, Cavalry, Artillery, Commands, Rout markers etc.  Obviously actual quality of what you get depends on who does the printing and on what machine ::)

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 09:37:14 AM »
Those are very nice! When I get a 3D printer...

Offline Goliad

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 04:43:02 PM »
I have purchased the Forward March Studio library a while back but can't seem to find these formations. I can find separate pike and shot files. These formations look great though.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 10:33:14 PM »
I have purchased the Forward March Studio library a while back but can't seem to find these formations. I can find separate pike and shot files. These formations look great though.

Make sure you keep your set up to date. Once you purchase it you get all the new releases free, if you still have your original download link just refresh, if not drop by the forum and ask Zach for a new download.

Offline Octavian

• Lurker
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2021, 02:13:40 PM »
They look fantastic. Anyone can recommend TP 3D printer companies in U.K. , who would print an order.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2021, 10:17:19 PM »
You could try Michael Stockin (Angel Barracks) - details https://cromsanvil.co.uk/3d.html

Offline Octavian

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 09:59:44 AM »
Thanks for leading me in the direction of Forced March Minatures.
I plan to download some and get them printed by a TP printer. Will do some test prints with a couple to compare results.
However, need advice on what files to download. I can not find any labelled ECW infantry, but loads of Renaissance formations. Can anyone point provide a list of files suitable for ECW. Thanks

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 01:23:44 PM »
Which files to pick depends on how you want your massed bases to look. Given there are over 30 different infantry formations or components you have a lot of choice!  When you buy the licence you get them all plus access to all the "fan content" files available through the forum (there are several sets of ECW files there to choose from):

https://forwardmarchstudios.freeforums.net

The forum is set up so only licence holders can access the actual files section. Otherwise there are now printing services around who are licensed suppliers of the FMM models, the first one in Europe is Dioramawelt in Germany:
https://www.meine-dioramawelt.de/partner/

Offline Henry Lauder

• Bookworm
  • On duty in a hole in the ground
    • On Senlac Hill
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2021, 11:03:38 PM »
I don’t have experience of the rules you speak of but I find that 50mm x 25mm bases (with additional depth for large formations) works well across a number of rules for the period. My 2mm passion is to recreate the look of those sweeping 17th C paintings rather than the flexibility of the basing system, so may not be your cup of tea. Also my focus is TYW rather than ECW.
Announcing your plans is a good way to hear God laugh

http://senlachill.blogspot.com/

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2021, 01:32:55 PM »
Henry Lauder - that looks like a battle at hand!

Offline DeRuyter

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2021, 06:28:47 PM »
I don’t have experience of the rules you speak of but I find that 50mm x 25mm bases (with additional depth for large formations) works well across a number of rules for the period. My 2mm passion is to recreate the look of those sweeping 17th C paintings rather than the flexibility of the basing system, so may not be your cup of tea. Also my focus is TYW rather than ECW.

Brilliant table! It certainly does replicate the look of those 17th century battle scenes!

Years ago I started with 28mm ECW/TYW, then went to 15mm. Now I am going to skip 6mm and go straight to 2mm! Bought the FMS library and firing up the printer.