Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:57:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Battlefield Walks - Braddock Down, Stratton (1643) & Samford Courtenay (1549)  (Read 1260 times)

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
With a shorter year to get out and explore Mr Steve and I took the opportunity to squeeze in a day traveling to-and-fro over the Devon and Cornish border exploring some key battlefield locations from the early English Civil War and the Prayer Book Rebellion.

The West Country is perhaps slightly overlooked in terms of it's place in the military history of the wider UK, but can boast some pivotal battle sites, many relatively unchanged with much of their topography ready to be studied by the keen enthusiast, if you can be sure of where they actually occurred!

In addition there are many fine old buildings, including pubs that make the option to choose to visit the historic sites even more attractive when you can enjoy the delights of downing a pint in Sir Bevil Grenville's former headquarters.

As well as that, you can walk in the footsteps of those who left their mark in the tumultuous times of the English Reformation that saw Landsknechts deployed in England.

If you would like to know more then just follow the link to JJ's

https://jjwargames.blogspot.com/2021/11/the-battles-of-braddock-down-stratton.html

JJ
Often it is better to remain silent and let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and remove all possible doubt.

http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
Most excellent!  So much wonderful information.  I fought with the Sealed Knot at the Battle of Stamford Hill many years ago.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Wonderful blog entry. We fought out the battle of Stamford Hill as the beginning of our west country campaign. It did not go as well for the Royalists as it did in reality; in fact, it rather set the tone for the rest of the campaign.

Offline brunei35

• Scientist
Thanks for posting, very interesting and extra bonus of several more of your tours linked to the article so further reading. Looking forward to the one with the five uniform plates in when get chance to read it this evening.

Thanks
Cheers

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
Thanks for your comments chaps and glad your enjoyed the read.

JJ

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
Cracking read, really enjoyed your bog entry, always interesting to read anything about to do with the civil war, the Sampford Courtenay entry was a total new one on me and I enjoyed that a lot, will have to read up on this one. :)

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
Hi jambo1.
Thank you.

You might find the other ECW battlefield tours posted on the blog of interest and I summarised most of them with links on my Roundway Down post that I did in August.

https://jjwargames.blogspot.com/2021/08/the-battle-of-roundway-down-and-siege.html

I have plans to cover off the other Prayer Book battle sites at Fenny Bridges, Broadclyst and the actions between the two, all of which are local to me, so more anon.

Cheers
JJ

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
The ECW posts will be my weekend reading and I will look forward to the other Prayer Book posts as this is a conflict I would like to know more about. :)

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
Superb blog entry JJ!

Cheers
Matt

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
Thanks Matt, much appreciated.

JJ