Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:45:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690845
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Projects - To fail is part of the hobby  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Koppi

• Scientist
    • My Figs
Projects - To fail is part of the hobby
« on: November 21, 2021, 11:03:54 AM »
Thoughts and pictures about failed projects...English text at the end of the german part.

https://thrifles.blogspot.com/2021/11/projekte-scheitern-gehort-zum-hobby-dazu.html

« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 11:07:36 AM by Koppi »

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: Projects - To fail is part of the hobby
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 01:43:45 PM »
Entertaining read, but picking Naseby as your ECW project and Waterloo for Napoleonics, both with large scale detailed figures, in a year, must class as pretty heroic goals.

I think most wargamers (all but 1 or 2 notable exceptions?) treat project time as flexible and infinite. That project will happen......... "eventually".

I have just started putting paint on a set of WW2 Desert War armies that I have had in mind since first building an Airfix Matilda tank model in around 1974. Both then and now in completely inaccurate pale blue Caunter.
Change of scale; 1/300 rather than 1/76 and change of scope; operational level rather than 1:1 skirmish, Sam Mustafa's "Rommel" rather than CS Grant's "Battle" but actually happening.  Although I must admit a temptation to buy and make that old Matilda kit again, flaws and all.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 02:22:16 PM »
2 years ago I decided to build a Highland Brigade from Waterloo from Airfix models. Thus far I have done 3/4 of one battalion. It's officially 'on the back burner'.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Koppi

• Scientist
    • My Figs
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 10:49:34 PM »
I really think we all have the same "problems", :D

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 11:49:07 PM »
Failure is the road to success.  Or so some claim. 

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 05:48:53 AM »
As a wise German once said, "That which does not destroy you leaves you in a wheelchair with a white stick."
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 02:25:06 PM »
'It's better to have fought & lost, than not have fought at all'
(Flashing Blades theme music) :D :D :D

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2021, 07:54:05 PM »
I have many many projects, and never dispose of any, as I will 'get around to them some time...'

As long as I don't run out of storage space.. this is all ok. Because moving house is such an inconvenience.

Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 08:27:15 PM »
This much I know...When the storm breaks ach man acts  in accordance  with  his own nature.  Some are dumb with terror.  Some flee...Some hide...And some spread  their  wings like eagles and soar with the wind.
 ;)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 08:40:59 PM by Blackwolf »
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 11:56:46 PM »
I'm the "project guy" in my gaming group. I'm always trying new systems and scales and enjoy the work and planning that comes with a large project. Having said that I have come to an understanding that some of these things will take years to see finished. My current project started back in 2015 and I may have it ready to play by the end of the year.

Taking pauses and going down different paths is part of the process for me. The project will always be there when I'm ready to come back to it. 

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 12:42:17 AM »
I think that having a couple of different projects on the go is actually more productive (at least for me) as if I get burnt out painting say WW2 Germans I can tinker with sculpting, my 40k Kill Team (only bought to play with/fit in with my club and god knows when I’ll be able to go back) or working on scenery. Luckily I enjoy painting, sculpting and modelling as much as gaming. I’ve also given miniatures away either cheaply or free as I know the recipient will treasure them and get a lot from them, and this makes me just as happy (sometimes more with troublesome minis) as owning them. They deserve to be loved.

My biggest past hobby fault is definitely wasting time and money on joint projects with friends only to find they’ve not bothered/sold it all/got bored of the idea, sometimes without telling me until we meet up for the big game! At least if I plan my own thing and collect both sides + scenery I can play buy myself or easily find someone who wants to have a go on the day. I’m really struggling currently as pre COVID playing games would inspire and drive my progress. Whilst I admit I’m not making the progress I’d like to, like you I love my Lead Mountain and the potential it holds. Currently with the separation medical isolation brings I’m feeling more and more like simply selling everything, not so much for any financial gains but so I don’t waste further money, time and space on something that’s just for me (I’d probably feel different if I had a gaming spouse but she’s definitely not interested) and that someone else could get more from them.

Thank you for posting (especially in dual languages)
BALM
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 01:34:20 AM »
BeneathALeadMountain,

I understand your angst but I think you argue against yourself to a degree.  You clearly love the process but are missing the social element.  Don't give up on the process due to a temporary limit on the social outlet - it will return.  Not to say you shouldn't downsize if you need to (I certainly do!).  Just don't 'jump off the jump out of the hobby' cliff just yet.

My mountain?  It ain't no mountain; it is a mountain range!  Out in the garage - a whole wall; out in the shed - about a third of that space, out on the lanai - half of that space (a big space, mostly the unused table and lots of scenery); in the 'train' room - way too much crammed in there (where I paint); and under the side awning, more large cabinets worth.  Did I say I might consider downsizing?  Have been, for years, considering - with progress only in the 'wrong' direction.

So, I guess my big hobby 'failure' is I can't convince myself to downsize despite a clear need to do so.  I did manage to sell some figures, unpainted, for one period a couple of years ago.  That is it.  And the bad part is this, if I had half as many figures I'd probably be twice as happy with my hobby.  Probably.  But I love the process of acquisition - which will be ending with one last period being rounded out over the next few months!!!

Not all failures, painted over 1,500 figures in roughly the last twelve months.

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2021, 03:29:00 PM »
Fifteen you are spot on, and that conflict is probably why I haven’t given up (and why I’m still alive, my doctors described it as a stubborn refusal to die!) as wargaming is the one hobby I can still do and enjoy at the same level as before I had to admit my limitations.

I do need to downsize and part of that will be hitting the dreaded online marketplace of Echo Bay but I’ll probably offer things up to LAF members cheaper beforehand as an attempt to thank them for the support they don’t know they’ve even provided in the last two years. Living vicariously through others progress and enjoyment can really help. LAF is an truly unique, supportive, creative place populated by some brilliant people and it has helped me tremendously.

Thank you for your reply Fifteen, it is appreciated. Your progress is excellent, when I look back at what I’ve achieved in the past two years I realise it’s not as little as I think, I just haven’t had the chance to see it all together being enjoyed as it should. I don’t really feel like a ‘dead end’ project is a ‘fail’ as such but it annoys me when I’ve wasted my limited hobby funds/time. I’m not even sure you can ‘fail’ at the hobby as long as you’ve enjoyed what you’ve done. It may be, as you said, more about the path than the destination.

Andrew
BeneathALeadMountain

Self Edited to reduce over sharing (good old morphine) and reduce the derailing I feel I was unintentionally doing. Apologies Koppi.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 09:37:14 PM by BeneathALeadMountain »

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2021, 03:46:25 PM »
Thoughts about failed projects...at the end of the german part.

Schön geschrieben und hundertprozentige Zustimmung zum Fazit!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2021, 04:51:21 AM »
Andrew, sorry to hear of your travails and hope life has better days for you ahead on the physical front.  And you've outlined very well why you MUST stay with your miniatures hobby. 

Now, as to offering to put things up for others - however affordable, I will gently but emphatically pass!  lol  If my Lead Mountain Range were in the attic a wing of the house would have been crushed by now.  Just waiting for a few more things to be released and buy them up and I will round out the last of my Far Too Many collections of miniatures that will keep me busy in my retirement years if all goes well.  So far, so good. 

I do agree that it is better to give away figures to someone who truly appreciates them and will put them to good use than to try and sell them for top - or even medium - dollar/pound/etc.  The challenge is those folk who ply with desire/need but only really want to pop the stuff up on evil-bay for their own lucre nature.  Life is never really easy, is it? 

But miniatures are always there to relieve a moment of stress - even when the miniatures are not to hand we can always dwell on what to do next, a most pleasant way to spend day-dreaming time.