Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:46:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686552
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Round of Fire  (Read 32749 times)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: Round of Fire
« Reply #165 on: August 06, 2019, 10:14:21 PM »
Time for some threadomancy.

A lot of water has passed under the bridge and it's time for an update regarding Version 2 of Round of Fire.
Some of the stuff has been written in the RoF Legends thread in the fantasy board: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=111565.0

but some of the changes are still ongoing. After the latest brainstorming sessions and a test game tonigh, the combat system for RoF V2 seems to take some changes. The goal is to streamline the combat and increase the focus on the wheel:

- Defense rolls are NOT related to the number of successes. This allows a much quicker roll for both players.

- Standard threholds are at 4+ (everything shifted down) to better use the 3+ and 5+ options, while a 6+ is half as good as 5+ and it's bad.

- Different weapons will have different possible actions. Including Suppress, Aim, Rapid Fire, Spread Fire (for ranged) and Feint, Charged Blow, Fumble and others (for melee weapons).
Conversely, weapons in the same tier will have similar attack values, focusing more on the special rules

- Assault and Engage/Charge will be standard actions with an additional cost (indicated as a second number for the Movement actions) and accuracy penalties.

Needless to say, all the stats will be tweaked accordingly.

Below, the photo of an updated card, aligned with the latest rules:

C&C very much welcome, every input is precious!

Cheers
Jack

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #166 on: August 09, 2019, 04:26:43 PM »
After another game-design session and a test, we've finally found a convincing system for Suppression and Cover in V2. It might sound simple, as it SHOULD, but having all the math and the user experience work well on this took a few tries.

so:
- with the new "fixed" defense dice pool, cover adds dice to that. I liked the old "half or a third of the dice are removed", but that required MATH and doing that every time made the game crankier.
For instance, a simple brick wall gives +2 dice of cover, while intersecting cover gives +1.
- MEANWHILE, the option of Suppressing returns to be useful: At the cost of (often) extra Steps and one range increment (so +1 difficulty to hit), the 1s in the dice rolls have a Shock effect on the opponent. This means that in average a 3 figures team with Assault Rifle (damage 4) can suppress by 2 Steps with a full round of fire.
Of course, sacrificing a +1 to hit for a chance of suppressing isn't great in open field. BUT if the opponent has a lot of defence and it is likely that he ignores the shots, the 1s become precious!

And some pics of the test:

Jack

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #167 on: December 08, 2021, 08:57:36 AM »
Noooot dead yet.

In fact, several people wrote to me recently asking for updates on RoF 2. I haven't many, I've been mostly working on Full Spectrum Dominance (working name) for my 6mm project (https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=112094.new#new ) and this has been frozen for a while. HOWEVER, i still paint every now and then:

I also just got a brand new batch of bases. They are just like the previous batch, which I have a tutorial for here: https://thelazyforger.com/tutorials/resin-textured-bases/

Updates not-so-soon, but still. :)

Cheers
Jack