Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:35:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warbands from the backlog (OPR/Frostgave/Oathmark/Oldhammer/Mantic etc.)  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Robosmith

• Librarian
I've recently got the bug to start working on far too many hobby projects so I decided the only sensible thing to do would be scale them down to at most 10 figures a project. This fits nicely in with OPR Fantasy Skirmish rules with warbands of 200 points. Depending on the list it can be anything from 3 Trolls to 20 odd goblins since there's no list building limitations. With that in mind I started digging into the backlog to find what suitable minis I have (and oh boy so I have a backlog of random bits). I thought I could share some hobby progress and maybe some kind folks will tell me which warbands they want to see me paint next.

The painting isn't going to be display quality, clean and simple tabletop using washes (and soon Army painter's speed paints if they turn out decent) but I am wanting to challenge myself with new colour schemes. Too easy to paint it my usual red and call it done so challenge time!

In progress
Frostgrave Gnoll Beastmen
Black Tree Design Dark elves

Current potential warbands.
Frostgrave Lizardmen
Mantic Baselians
Mantic Demons (Lust and rage)
Malifaux / GW plague demons
GW Night goblins
GW Wood elves
GW Dwarves / Mantic dwarves
Mantic Boar mounted Orcs
3D printed Chaos Dwarves / GW chaos dwarves / Russian Alternative
3D printed OPR Duchi of vinci 

Finished warbands
Mantic Night Stalkers
Mantic Orcs (Pics coming soon)

Two of the phantons/Scarecrows from the Nightstalkers warband. Group shot to come soon.

Test model for the Beastmen and a few of the other small guys. I wanted to give them a robin hoodish look and go with mostly natural redish leathers and deep green tunics. Struggling to get the shade right on the test model, Army painter's soft tone is good for the leather but I tried a dark green GW contrast I had laying around on the green and it was too harsh. Will do a proper guide when I have the green nailed down.

Offline boneio

• Scientist
Re: Warbands from the backlog (OPR/Frostgave/Oathmark/Oldhammer/Mantic etc.)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 11:06:39 AM »
Great idea and I've adopted a similar philosophy of painting warbands of around 10 to 15 figures at most. I've got wayyyyy too much to consider painting armies  lol

If it's a vote, I vote chaos dwarfs  ;)

Gnolls are looking good, I like the green.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 02:18:41 PM »
Smaller number of figures is a good way to go.
We all feed off progress & stagnate before mountains
yet to be climbed.
Like what you are doing. but can't help but think of
Disney's animated Robin hood when I look at the Gnolls.

Offline Robosmith

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 01:17:49 AM »
Putty is drying on these guys. There's two more GW beastmen off to the side and that should be the full warband. A couple of classics snuck their way in while raiding the bits box.. Those mono pose beastmen always lost their halberd heads and I'm not quite sure why.