Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:35:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Spanish Husares de Almansa uniform problem, HELP!!!!  (Read 716 times)

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
Spanish Husares de Almansa uniform problem, HELP!!!!
« on: November 16, 2021, 02:22:44 PM »
Okay from Keith's Wargame Site I picked up a link to a piece on the Husares de Almansa it says this:

Húsares de Almansa
The English officer Major-General (in the Spanish service) Whittingham raised the Húsares de Almansa in 1810 with a strength of 400 troopers. The served in Eastern Spain as part of Whittingham's Spanish Division.

Uniform: The uniform was shipped from England and was the same as the British 10th Hussars. An dark blue dolman with scarlet collar and cuffs. An dark blue pelisse with white fur trim. Scarlet and yellow barrel sash. White braid and lace with white metal buttons. White breeches and Hungarian boots. Black a colpack (or busby) with red bag, white over red plume and yellow cords.

The key text is. "Whittingham raised the Húsares de Almansa in 1810" and "The uniform was shipped from England and was the same as the British 10th Hussars."

My problem is this, the description given for the uniform is the uniform of the 10th in 1811 (when they became a Royal regiment) not the one for 1810.

In 1810, the facings for rank and file in the 10th were yellow, red for officers only.

Also, for the 10th in either uniform, the busby was brown for rank and file, and unusually grey for officers; unusually Pelisses for all ranks were trimmed with grey fur (BTW: I can see grey and white getting a bit muddled - grey being unusual for British hussars - and I can fudge the difference in the dry brushing).

With all the distinctions of the 10th, the uniform for the Husares de Almansa wasn't the same if the quoted source is right.

HELLLLLP!!!!!

I wanted to use the unit for both regiments - 10th and Almansa. It now looks like I can't so maybe I should paint it up as 1st Hussars KGL and have done with it.

Please :'(,  someone   >:D, shoot me   :-X
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 02:29:10 PM by olicana »

Offline Oriol Barcelona

• Bookworm
    • Shadows over Galaspar
Re: Spanish Husares de Almansa uniform problem, HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 05:19:04 PM »
Dear Mr. Olicana,

I have the following information from "Uniformes Españoles de la Guerra de la Independencia" José María Bueno.
I suppose it won't work for you because it states is the uniform used between 1812 - 1814.

The Spanish text can be translated as (sorry for the english):

Húsares de Almansa 1812-1814

Both figures represent a trooper and an officer (a lieutennant) on foot, it is reconstructed from the notes that appear in the book The Diary of Lieutennant Woolcombe R.A. 1812-13, this offiecer of the Royal Artillery took part in the Peninsular War and wrote a lot of notes of the uniforms he saw.
These hussars, according to the diary, were part of an expedition that came form Malta in two ships, the author describes this troop contingent (1) as "excelent spanish troops under british pay". In Clonard's book doesn't appear this hussars with this name.

(1) The expedition was formed also by the Granaderos de Mallorca, Granaderos de Murcia, 2º Rg Mallorca, Cazadores de Mallorca, Granaderos Rg Guadalajara, Rg Caballería Olivenza and Artillery. All of the coming from Mallorca.

By the way, I love your blog  :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 05:20:45 PM by Oriol Barcelona »