Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:03:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689641
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Varnishing Disaster! Help Urgently Needed Please? (Pic Heavy)  (Read 2781 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Varnishing Disaster! Help Urgently Needed Please? (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2022, 01:24:54 PM »
Sounds like you fell for the same pitch I did.
I totatlly understand your dismayed at the results .I hate to see your investment go to waste( both emotionally and financially).
I'm fairly confident you could paint on Bio strip 20 and just the creasing. I know it's not something you can face right now. But it is most definitely achievable, and more cost effective in both time and money.
I know from personal experience it's  achievable as I've used this technique to restore a Victorian slate fire place with a period painted marble effect . That was vandalised with spray paint.
If your attending York next month.  I'd  be happy to take a couple of pieces for you ,and try this technique on them. Then  if your happy with the results.  It shouldn't take more than a couple of evenings for your to replicate on the rest of them.
It does seem a shame to see all this hard work go down without a fight

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Varnishing Disaster! Help Urgently Needed Please? (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2022, 02:59:55 PM »
Sounds like you fell for the same pitch I did.
I totatlly understand your dismayed at the results .I hate to see your investment go to waste( both emotionally and financially).
I'm fairly confident you could paint on Bio strip 20 and just the creasing. I know it's not something you can face right now. But it is most definitely achievable, and more cost effective in both time and money.
I know from personal experience it's  achievable as I've used this technique to restore a Victorian slate fire place with a period painted marble effect . That was vandalised with spray paint.
If your attending York next month.  I'd  be happy to take a couple of pieces for you ,and try this technique on them. Then  if your happy with the results.  It shouldn't take more than a couple of evenings for your to replicate on the rest of them.
It does seem a shame to see all this hard work go down without a fight

That's really kind of you to offer mate but I can't risk going to York due to health reasons. Outside of the beloved Partizan/The Other Partizan it's one of my favourite show too :(

I'll return to the project at some point in the future. I realise that I've overreacted a little but that doesn't take away from the frustration of having work ruined by varnish. Especially when I was assured that said varnish was a dead flat matt.

I've done a test piece to send to the vendor with another can, as they suggested and the results are the same- I'll send the pics off sometime today- thankfully this time on an old miniature :)