Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:36:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How Do You Use Commanders in "Setting the East Ablaze"?  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Pan Marek

• Scientist
How Do You Use Commanders in "Setting the East Ablaze"?
« on: November 30, 2021, 09:50:03 PM »
I have the opportunity to run a "big skirmish" game using a friends RCW figures.  I've read through the Setting the East Ablaze rules, and am somewhat confused by how one uses commanders/leaders and heavy weapons.   I think commanders get their own Action Card, but do things like guns and HMGs too?

As for Commanders, can they move independently, or must they be attached to a unit?
What can they do if not attached?   The rules seem to concentrate on what an attached Commander can do, but I'm missing what an unattached one can offer.

With an attached Commander, the rules talk about extra movement of 3 or 5 inches.  But they also say an attached Commander moves on the unit's card.  So how and when does the Commander apply the extra movement?

Any help is appreciated.   Thanks!

Offline Dr Bogo

• Librarian
Re: How Do You Use Commanders in "Setting the East Ablaze"?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 09:55:30 AM »
Hi Pan Marek,

Yes to answer your question, officers/commanders get their own unit card but are treated slightly differently from 'normal' units. They count as a 'heroic' type figure who doesn't get a Class or Morale factor but get a saving throw if they're hit by fire, either individually or as part of a unit that has suffered casualties. This makes them a bit tougher than they obviously would be in real life but is part of the 'heroic' focus of StEA. They can be equipped as you wish, but normally I would treat them as armed with a pistol, unless you were running a particularly 'pulpy' game and wanted them to play an outsized role.

HMGs and guns get their own cards with normal attributes of Class and Morale factor (C3 M3, regular etc).

Officers/commanders can move independently on their own action card, so they can shoot and engage in melee and, without a copy of the rules to hand, I believe they can also try and spot hidden enemy units.

When they are attached to a unit, as you say the unit moves on its own action card, and the officer's movement bonus is added to their move, +3" for infantry and foot-borne heavy weapons, +5" for cavalry and vehicles. So a unit of infantry that rolls 2D6 and gets a 7" move would then add 3" for the officer, giving them a total move that turn of 10".

Does that answer your questions?

Offline Pan Marek

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 07:26:45 PM »
It does.  Thank you.

Another question comes to mind.   The rules differentiate between "Commanders" and "staff officers/commissars".
I suppose each side gets only one "commander"?  While a scenario would dictate how many (or if any) "staff officers/commissars" are used?

Offline Dr Bogo

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 05:39:09 PM »
Yes that wording could do with clarifying - each player should have a single Commander(-in-chief) while you can have any number of other staff officers, who could likewise have a command bonus, but the C in C is the important one when it comes to issues like army morale.

Commissars/other confidence merchants are usually treated differently when we play StEA as they don't have any innate command value beyond their morale factors, so they would add a +1 to morale throws but not to melee engagements or any additional movement. This could apply to a shaman with any tribal units as well.

Offline Pan Marek

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 04:21:46 PM »
Thanks.
And I like your phrase "confidence merchants".  Fits nicely with my thoughts of
using Orthodox or Catholic priest figures to boost the morale of Whites or Poles....