Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:30:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689300
  • Total Topics: 118271
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SECTOR12  (Read 16343 times)

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
  • Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all
    • chimpfoots tavern
Re: SECTOR12
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2023, 08:45:57 AM »
Thanks  Akrim 👍🏼
Couple of bits I managed to finish this week
Cheers all
chimpfoots-tavern.blogspot.com

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2023, 04:58:56 PM »
Well, they sure look ugly.  But in a good way... :D
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2023, 10:06:02 PM »
No idea what you're playing but your story lines are brilliant.

Keep it up.

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2023, 11:57:34 AM »
Cheers Cap ugly is as ugly does 🤷‍♂️👍🏼

Thanks Vagabond 😊 clue is in the title ‘SECTOR 12’ my own rules set. Tried to right a set of rules that are all about the story more than anything else.

Will be putting up set of quick start rules on the blog so you (and anyone else who’s interested) can give them a blast too 👍🏼

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2023, 01:22:03 PM »
Great thread, with lovely work on terrain and figures. I do love well told narrative campaigns. Theft of supplies or hiring out for a mission to someone who can give them ammo could be the best options for your crew.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2023, 01:33:03 PM »
Bullshot…you may be right 🤔🤣👍🏼

Mission 4: Well 3 1/2 really...

Decided to rerun the rescue with Cole having the only ammo and everyone else using boots and rifle butts it should provide us with some death defying fun. Situations like this are going to happen with the rules the way they are.

Pathfinder teams are volunteer soldier/explorers venturing into a new world from the ruins of the old. There is no 'pimping out' or 'power gaming' because the resources just aren't there. Of course it is possible to pimp out a crew simply by fudging a few dice rolls but this is far from the spirit of the game. So we use what we have and crack on... 

Turns 1-4

Set up posed some interesting questions...2 objective markers were generated in the crew deployment area and both were in LOS so had to be revealed. 2 salvage markers, 3 savages and a hunting dog in a pear tree. AMBUSH!!!

'We're dead, we're dead, we're all dead!'

'Butler get a grip will you? I'll hold them up, you get Hooper out of here...'

The first savage random moved while Cole, with 2 actions, attempted to thin the ranks of the enemies, the first armour piercing rounds must have loosened the plates of its knobbly hide as the second shot put the dog down and there was enough wounds left over to 'walk' 4 onto the savage standing next to it.
The other cheeky blue buggers milled around a bit seeming unsure as to how to close the trap they had sprung while Radcliffe default moved for 3 inches. Butler specifically ignored a direct order and closed with the nearest savage but neither could find an opening. Turn 2 and Cole scored 3 actions, adding some more savages to the pot, and started plugging away, taking out his first target and literally dissolving the second with 7 wounds, ahhhh armour piercing, messy. He then ATC'd for a clean sweep of the area but missed with both dice. The remaining savages took the hint and gave chase but Radcliffe's 6 inch move kept him out of reach. The faithful Butler, raised his rifle and blew the head off the nearest savage...until he (and I) realised that the gun was in fact empty (doh) as no one except Cole had any ammo. The savage was duly resurrected, Butler moved away for 6 inches and we said no more about it.

The crew retained the initiative in turn 3, mostly due to attrition, and Cole used his single action to ATC, blasting a savage back through the doorway it was attempting to sneak through, not killing it but stealing its activation for the wounds. Radcliffe closed with an alien but could only muster a swing and a miss...twice. The alien slid past this ineffectual barrage and softened Butler up by 1 condition point, stopping his activation. Turn 4 and with all the close moves and ATCing etc the crew are actually making pretty good ground and when Cole blasted another savage out of the way he decided that his second action might be worth a search, we do need some loot after all. It's not...he finds an salvage marker okay but then rolls nothing to reveal it...pants.

The savage with the raised knife (hitherto fore known as the leader) is proving to be a tough SOB batting Radcliffe's attack away and knocking him down a condition point. The leader then survives a burst of fire from Butler who HAS NO AMMO!!!!! again. Butler, the young handsome fool, closes instead and pays for it. Already wounded he succumbs to the riposte and the grinning savage wipes its blade on the grass, beckoning to Radcliffe.

Turns 5-8

Things started moving faster from here. Cole uses his sole action to shoot the leader, taking a condition point and stopping it from activating this turn. Radcliffe had a fine idea for his 2 actions and nips in to snatch a salvage marker from under the nose of the wounded leader while another savage sneaks in behind. We're getting really close now so Cole risks another search, 2 more savages another dog and at last some salvage and they all, including the leader, surround Cole. He nods to Radcliffe, who now understands what it means to be a Pathfinder.

'You best be off kid.'

Radcliffe makes it count, freeing Hooper with his first action and then heroically scuttling away with his second. Two turns to get out of here.

Turn 7 and Cole surrounded and outnumbered chooses the best time to fail his activation but miraculously the leader and his henchman random move away while the dog moves to guard the nearest salvage marker. Hooper remains as an NPC for the scenario so receives no activation (something that could be altered in a later game). Radcliffe, who is now carrying her, scores two actions and moves right to the edge of the table, one inch from victory. Decision time. Technically that's the game but with one action left and another whole turn to play...sometimes you just have to gamble. He uses his last action to search and scores a welcome spot of savage. An alien brave closes with Cole who beats it back with another notch on his machete.

Turn 8. The adversaries snatch the initiative the closest hurling a wickedly barbed dart and Cole is literally saved from death by the thickness of his flak coat. He then dispatches much of the wounded with his first action, the enemies are so closely packed that he can spread the wounds around. One savage drops, one dog drops and another is wounded out of activation. Breathing space at last and the fearless Pathfinder claims a salvage with his last move of the game. 'The leader' random moves...straight into base contact with Cole! It is a duel that has been brewing all game and when the dust falls the alien leader is on his knees. His final sight in this world, the implacable face of his killer.
Radcliffe gets the final say. Two actions means he can move to claim another salvage, stash it in his pack and scuttle off the board for a win!
For once a gamble pays off.

DOWNTIME

At last something to do on our day off. Well it's 4 EXP for the win plus 3 salvage markers so we get 2 resolves, a range and a new skill. Meaning Butler gets promoted a rank and everyone is now rolling 4's for activation which is mildly reassuring. Radcliffe is now a marksman, nice, and uses his other skill to alter smoke grenades to thunder flash. We have enough ammo to form a passable firing squad for the next scenario and decided that the machete that was found was actually an entrenching tool as that was what Hooper had on her belt. Closest we get to WYSIWYG around here.

More pics and stuff on the blog👍🏼

Stay tuned...Cheers all.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 01:35:28 PM by Chimpfoot »

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2023, 08:01:51 PM »
Still bemused and thoroughly entertained, what blog, where is the link?

What the hell is ATC'd?

Great story writing, I  smiled all the way through even though I've no idea what you're talking about. Great stuff. :o

Pictures at the end....you're as bad as Cptn Jim.

Look forward to the next stunning adventure.  o_o o_o

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2023, 08:19:06 PM »
Hey Vagabond
ATC is a special move and shoot action (Advance to Contact) skirmish move really
Obviously me and Jim share an inability to format our posts 😳🤣🤣🤣

Blog is chimpfoots tavern only appears once per page apparently it’s under the space worms ☝️Post 👍🏼👍🏼 At the top of the page

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2023, 09:54:43 PM »
Space Worms.....what Space Worms.....ahh those Space Worms.

Read your blog, couldn't comment, google blogger hates my tablet and won't let me.!!!

You can link your blog to your avatar, I've done it but no idea now how. It's the blue earth symbol next to your name. Look at Vagabond and the symbol takes you to my blog.

Anyway - Muleskinners, you have a couple of nice figures, a blond female with a blue baseball hat and another female? With what looks like a pilots flying hat, can you remember who makes them?

I did try and follow your blog but did I mention that google hates my tablet! Hey ho.

Keep up the good work.
Cheers

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2023, 05:50:09 AM »
Hey Vagabond
Do you mean these two ‘Damsels who’ve never known distress’?
They are both constructed from the Anvil Industry products
Female/Modern militia/PMC range
Don’t know if you’re familiar with them but their site is a real rabbi hole of marvellous stuff 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
The pilots hat is actually long hair and goggles 😉
Thanks for checking out the blog been perusing yours too thanks to the link 🙄🤣🤣

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2023, 03:04:31 PM »
Thanks for the info, I'll have a look at Anvil, not come across them but I'm not a big mini buyer, I  thought the blond might have been Statuesque.  ;)

I see you figured out the earth symbol  o_o

With the inspiration from you and Bullshott  I think I'm going to check out my local Forbidden Zone, I need to find out what an anomaly is  :o and that sounds the place to find them. I might even buy the rules as well, who knows.

Rules, there ain't no stinking rule but one....don't die young.

Oh and of course don't eat green snow, but that is more of a suggestion than a rule.

Cheers

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2023, 05:37:15 PM »
Excellent looking games, thanks for posting, I enjoy your work a lot.

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2023, 06:38:02 PM »
Thanks hubba…kind words much appreciated 😊

Cheers Vagabond inspiration is free 👍🏼 Have fun
Wait…green snow? See the medical orderly in the morning 🤣🤣🤣

Don’t suppose anyone knows how to put a pdf onto a blog so that folks can download it? God I am soo old 😳

Cheers all

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #118 on: June 14, 2023, 06:12:05 PM »
1.  Forgive my brief absence.  Damn real life...nothing bad, just a bit busy...

2.  I will ignore your comments regarding my photo locations, there, Mr. Vagabond.  One does what one does... ;D :D

3.  Lovely story there Chimpfoot!  And that Cole fella must be one bad mothe.... 8)

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2023, 01:26:47 PM »
Hey cap
Thanks 😊
Occasionally bad ass…occasionally very lucky on the dice rolls 😳🤣🤣🤣👍🏼