Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:06:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686476
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Homage to Marx Toys "Cars of the Future" - All five cars finished 1/21  (Read 6053 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Keeper.  Add wear, dirt, rust, lots more rust, oil streaks. Perfect. I will take attitude every day over shiney. I want all my vehicles to be imperfect, the way god meant them to be.

I will be making a dinged-up and wrecked version of this car in the coming months. Trying to get through five "functioning" models before I start making some alternate versions. No reason you can't add rust and grime to this, but I'm hoping to make something that gets printed up looking like it has lived a rough life.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Ah, very well explained, thanks for that.

You are most welcome. I do understand that some people don't like the look of FDM-printed goods. I'm pretty dead against MDF buildings myself. Never have found one that I thought looked right. Just a matter of taste.

Offline James Mahdeep Bond V

• Bookworm
Acetone vapor smooths layer lines. There are blogs on this. Have seen satisfactory outcomes. Downsides include health disclaimers like don't breathe the stuff or do this technique inside your house, or burn you house down. Excessive exposure also turns you model to slag. You need to know what you are doing.

• Bookworm
Thank you for the design. Ran one yesterday. Outcome, highly satisfactory. Bravo.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Thank you for the design. Ran one yesterday. Outcome, highly satisfactory. Bravo.

Glad to hear it! Should have the next car up early next week.

I also added a single piece STL file yesterday for anyone printing in resin, and a pre-supported file for Anycubic (.pwms) in case anyone wants it. Going to sit and work on the fourth car style today.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Those are turning out really great! 

I wanted this post to just be a huge, thumbs up!   
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Those are turning out really great! 

I wanted this post to just be a huge, thumbs up!   

Thanks, Easy. Appreciate the kind words.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
I was wondering if you were dropping these over here as well.

Well done.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
I was wondering if you were dropping these over here as well.

Well done.

Oh yeah. All of my normal haunts.

PA Car #2 should be available for download tomorrow. I'm just about finished with the paint job. Should be finished tonight. I'll kick off with both the top/bottom and all-in-one files this time. Since the second car has a bit more flexibility in terms of being a sci-fi car I'm also going to print up some 15mm versions for my sci-fi world too.

Car #3 should be done printing now. I'll run the tires tonight and hopefully have it painted and ready to post on Thingiverse early next week.

I'm hoping to have Car #4 ready to show off by Wednesday.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
A quick revisit of Car #1 with the finished paint job. My talents don't extend too far beyond this  lol

Car #2

I'll admit to a bit of cheating here. The headlights didn't print correctly (fixed digitally for the files that will be posted), so the headlights here are some googley eyes painted up as headlights. They happened to fit in the recess perfectly.

I'll have the .STL files for car #2 posted up by the end of the day.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Those came out great and the paint job is excellent!
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Those came out great and the paint job is excellent!

Thanks, Monkey. I've been pleased with the efforts to date. The paint jobs are adequate. I trust that someone out there will do something really brilliant with them, eventually  lol

• Bookworm
Yeah baby! Got me another one. Thanks so much.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
No, the paint job is really good your choice in colors for the look of the cars are great! It gives them that right look and feel for such an era of vehicles. Have you tried to print them out at 15mm scale?

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
No, the paint job is really good your choice in colors for the look of the cars are great! It gives them that right look and feel for such an era of vehicles. Have you tried to print them out at 15mm scale?

I'm going to print a pair of car #2 in 15mm to convert into hover cars. I punctured the resin reservoir on my SLA printer so I was waiting for my new toys to arrive, which they did. So I'll be getting my resin printing up and running again this week. I didn't spend much time printing items over the holidays as I tried to focus on getting things painted. Car #3 will be wrapped up this week, and I'll have the files posted by the end of the day Thursday at the latest.

Car #4 is close to being test printed, and I decided that Car #5 will be a truck. I'll have both of those printed and posted by mid-January, I hope. Then it will be time to circle back and start working on damaged/wrecked versions of the set. Then circle back around again to work on a "Road Warrior" style version that could work with Gaslands. Armor, weapons, etc.

By the time I get done test printing all of that (probably in SLA and FDM) I may end up with some stuff to sell. I mean, that would be 30 cars by the end. Way more than enough for my purposes.