Forum > Adventures in the Far East

Sengoku project 28mm.

<< < (2/2)

wkeyser:
Have you tried Blender for sculpting. Am thinking of trying it out for some earlier war Napoleonics 1792-1796.

clibinarium:
I have tried Blender, not so much for sculpting, but for modeling. I did have a look at the sculpting part, but it lagged very quickly when the polycount started to climb. Blender is an extremely powerful program- you could produce a Pixar quality movie with it (plus lots of other things) if you put the time in.

But I cannot get along with it after spending time learning Z-Brush. The other day I lost access to Z-brush for 48hrs and decided to use Blender instead. I hated it. There's nothing wrong with Blender, it's just that it's hard to use a program where you already have internalized another. It has major advantages over Z-Brush- better sense of scale and units, better modeling tools (especially if you add in Boxcutter and HardOps), it's free (which is a big one; Z-Brush is 30+quid a month, which hurts). Zbrush has more sculpting brushes and can handle large amounts of polygons more smoothly.

Honestly, if I were starting now, I would probably start with Blender. Flipped Normals have some good tutorial series for beginners (the quality of what you learn from counts a lot). I've heard it said Zbrush is easier for artists to learn, Blender for those with a more mathematical/engineering background. I found neither easy to get to grips with, so "easier" should be understood as a relative term.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version