Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:34:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686501
  • Total Topics: 118104
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rules help  (Read 2258 times)

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Re: Rules help
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2021, 09:22:43 AM »
Thank you all for your tips and help.
Appart of the several sets of rules you mentioned i may end up buying Rapid Fire.

At the end i decided to make my own. A friend send me Operation Squad and together with Flying Lead (both from Ganesha i think) will try it.

FFoL is a great set but imho its for limited figures on the table. Havent tried yet the Big Battles version but the card driven system isnt for my mates (i do like it and to Old West and small games i wont trade them for others).

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2021, 03:27:30 PM »
Rumacara, looking at your original post do I sense that you are after an infantry skirmish set with the odd vehicle thrown in. Chain of Command does meet those criteria but I would agree that they are more complex than advertised so maybe not for you.  I think some of the others are more "combined arms" sets and I thought Rapid Fire was aimed at Brigade level actions?  That said the blurb for "Rapid Fire Reloaded" .....the cut down version....does say it can be played as a 1-1 skirmish set, and at only £5 might well be worth a look.

Wow light bulb moment! All these years I have had Rapid Fire on mysh elf disliking it- it never once occurred to me that could be simply "un-bathtubbed" and used as a 1:1 skirmish.  Duh
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2021, 06:35:41 PM »
Vodkafan, my comment about “1-1 skirmish” relates to the cut-down “Rapid Fire Reloaded”, and I am purely quoting from the description on the website.
I still think Rapid Fire itself is a bigger scale combined arms game but I could be doing it a dis-service..

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2021, 08:50:21 PM »
Vodkafan, my comment about “1-1 skirmish” relates to the cut-down “Rapid Fire Reloaded”, and I am purely quoting from the description on the website.
I still think Rapid Fire itself is a bigger scale combined arms game but I could be doing it a dis-service..
Ah but you have set my mind in motion now  lol.
I took the rules to work and looked at them in my break with new eyes

Offline CPBelt

• Bookworm
    • League of Ordinary Gamers Blog
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2021, 01:09:31 AM »
I play all my WWII games at a platoon per side with maybe a vehicle or a few AFVs based on the scenario. I'm just getting into LRDG. I grew up watching Rat Patrol.

May I suggest https://www.wargamevault.com/product/174545/Five-Men-at-Kursk 5 Men at Kursk from Nordic Weasel. There is a good demo video on YouTube.  Very modular rules. I lovet he sci fi version also, 5 Parsecs from Home. Kursk can also be played solo. Easy rules.

I love Operation Squad, an often overlooked game. There is an updated version called Operation Squad Evolution.  It's also at Wargames Vault https://www.wargamevault.com/product/150397/Operation-Squad-Evolution?term=Operation+Squ

Crossfire is also excellent. Been ages since I played.

There is also the free FUBAR rules you can check out. https://fubarwargames.wordpress.com/downloads/
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 02:27:36 AM by CPBelt »

Home of fantasy, ancient, and dark age paper armies for WM & other games.

Offline SpaceCudet

• Assistant
    • MappingBoard
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2021, 11:18:22 AM »

Rapid Fire has always been flexible on the scale of the game, in fact the first scenario in the first edition book is 1:1 figure scale.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2021, 09:37:48 PM »
Hmm.  I need to dig out my Rapid Fire rules, and see what I can come up with...interesting... 8)
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2022, 10:45:05 AM »
CP Belt - Rat Patrol - I loved that as a kid!