Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:47:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: An Beigneid Airgead- The Silver Bayonet in Lochaber *Updated 07/09*  (Read 16516 times)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: An Beigneid Airgead- The Silver Bayonet Comes to Lochaber
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2021, 08:07:50 PM »
Very nice :-* Look forward to the rest.
I like your background v. much, it has given me ideas  :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2021, 09:13:40 PM »
I like the setting and will watch with interest.  I did a series of games set just after the Jacobite Risings that involved a lot of bad puns, Scottish myths (beings and stories) as well as illegal whisky stills and a fair bit of violence.  Whisky was regarded as a healthy breakfast tipple…

By 1760 whisky was being consumed at breakfast by the upper and middle classes, and was beginning to challenge other more fashionable spirits as a after-dinner drink.

By 1800 the spirit was a regular in the punch bowl that according to Steve Sillet; ‘it was being introduced into the punch-bowl at the rate of half a pint per head’ – although gin and brandy were still preferred at gatherings and farm feasts.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2021, 09:26:07 PM »
Brilliant, background and painting both.
 :-* :-*

I must admit that SB has me thinking of doing a predecessor organisation of my British Interwar anti-Mythos group, M.O.O.S.(E), the Ministry of Occult Studies (England), set in the Napoleonic period.
Nappies always put me off with the straps and buckles (and sheer volume of figures needed!), but a few individuals could be fun.
 :)

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2021, 10:14:31 PM »
"Oddly enough, I have! There's also a similar sort of beastie on Skye, Baisd Bheulach, between the two I'm working on finding something appropriate to the locality"

Please do keep us posted.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2021, 11:01:21 AM »
Have you considered Bauchans?
There are several stories of these mythical creatures in Scottish folklore. Bauchans were ambiguous creatures as they could be helpful to people at times though for the most part they were fiercely dangerous.
There is no clear description as to what bauchans actually looked like. According to some sources they were similar to brownies in appearance- small, hairy, with iron teeth. Others claim that they were fearsome monsters, gigantic in size. Exploring the legends of these creatures is the best way of determining what they were like. Here is one tale of a particularly gruesome bauchan who resided in the Highlands.

Known as Coluinn the Headless, this beast was greatly feared in the Highland area of Morar. He haunted the Smooth Mile between Morar House and the river Morar, attacking and slaughtering travelers along the road. The bauchan only attacked men, leaving women and children unharmed. He was also loyal to the family of the house – perhaps his brutal murders were a way of protecting the inhabitants of Morar House? One of the victims of the beast’s attacks was a relative of the MacLeod clan in Inverness. Iain Garbh, son of the chief, swore to avenge his friend’s death. He went to the place the beast stalked and grabbled with him on the Smooth Mile. Iain overpowered the bauchan and held him on the Smooth Mile until dawn. Coluinn the Headless lost his power and, in exchange for his life, swore never to return to the area. He left Morar and went to live in solitude on a hill in the north of Skye.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2021, 11:48:04 AM »
Known as Coluinn the Headless, this beast was greatly feared in the Highland area of Morar. He haunted the Smooth Mile between Morar House and the river Morar, attacking and slaughtering travelers along the road. The bauchan only attacked men, leaving women and children unharmed. He was also loyal to the family of the house – perhaps his brutal murders were a way of protecting the inhabitants of Morar House? One of the victims of the beast’s attacks was a relative of the MacLeod clan in Inverness. Iain Garbh, son of the chief, swore to avenge his friend’s death. He went to the place the beast stalked and grabbled with him on the Smooth Mile. Iain overpowered the bauchan and held him on the Smooth Mile until dawn. Coluinn the Headless lost his power and, in exchange for his life, swore never to return to the area. He left Morar and went to live in solitude on a hill in the north of Skye.

Great tale, Alan! I love such stories!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2021, 11:59:49 AM »
Great tale, Alan! I love such stories!

Yep, me too, Folklore tales are wonderous things! :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2021, 04:16:42 PM »
super paint-job on that officer.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2021, 07:34:23 PM »
Thanks for the tall tales. I look forward to reading more.

Tony

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
  • High on life... and thinners. Mainly thinners.
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2021, 09:28:34 PM »
Cheers folks, very kind! Rifleman to follow shortly, and work has commenced on a Pioneer...

By 1800 the spirit was a regular in the punch bowl that according to Steve Sillet; ‘it was being introduced into the punch-bowl at the rate of half a pint per head’ – although gin and brandy were still preferred at gatherings and farm feasts.

Half a pint of whisky a skull?! Into punch?! Sounds like  waste of good single malt to me...

I must admit that SB has me thinking of doing a predecessor organisation of my British Interwar anti-Mythos group, M.O.O.S.(E), the Ministry of Occult Studies (England), set in the Napoleonic period.

The Department for Ethereal Existential Reconnaissance (D.E.E.R.)?

Board of Occult Armaments Research (B.O.A.R.)?
Proudly not painting Wars of The Roses since... ever

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2021, 11:19:22 PM »
The Department for Ethereal Existential Reconnaissance (D.E.E.R.)?

Board of Occult Armaments Research (B.O.A.R.)?

I like your thinking.
 :)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2021, 06:19:09 PM »
Very inspiring background! Looking forward to see the rest of your splendid chaps.

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
  • High on life... and thinners. Mainly thinners.
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2021, 02:33:27 PM »
Thanks all!

Rifleman Holbrook Tamms
(Rifleman)
A poacher by trade, but honest man by conviction, his attempts to explain to the Cheshire magistrates just what it was he happened to be in the right place at the right time to save a parson's daughter from, saw him offered the choice of Bedlam or the green jacket. Thankfully, others were only too aware that more than foxes and badgers roam the desolate English uplands, and his skills and experiences found a new home amongst the Companions of St Jude...

Another workmanlike paintjob. I had no idea that John Tams of Sharpe & folk music fame was actually born in a place called Holbrook, that is a genuinely spooky coincidence!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 02:37:28 PM by Iain R »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Sharp paintwork there mate!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
He looks excellent, as does his officer! Keep them coming!