Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:18:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690807
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: “Set Europe ablaze!”  (Read 16389 times)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: “Set Europe ablaze!” - Sub Pen
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2022, 05:23:48 PM »
I’ll get you to ring him I think! Lol

For a Flack barge…I may have to scratch something as I want it to look like this?

Also Barrage minis do a German Hafenschutzboot ( harbour defence boat) so I will need one of these…….could be a good entry way for sneaky commandos….

Anyway, dock area widened makes more sense and rail line added.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 11:07:50 PM by Digits »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2022, 12:36:18 AM »
I like the boat but the twin hull flak barge looks suspiciously modern to me. When I was a diver 30 years ago I dived off a twin hull dive platform very similar to this! The Dive School at Exmouth had converted it from some old thing.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2022, 01:20:17 AM »
Maybe this is a clean image….but there are plenty of examples on line mostly showing 88’s on board mind.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2022, 01:53:55 AM »
There’s a chap in New Zealand who does a nice MDF harbour defence boat as well as a slew of suitable dockside buildings. Search through older threads.

At the risk of making it all too big, it would be tempting to make the U-boat pens a playable area and provide a rationale for using commandos. Plenty of photos available. I’d also go with the idea of some flak, atop the pens.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2022, 07:24:03 AM »
I will look out for it thank you.

Jamie mentioned possibly leaving the roof loose so we could play inside the pen and I’m tempted.   The issue is simply this.   

The sub I have is two and a half feet long.   Thanks to Paul (Empress), I will shortly have a printed prototype of a larger mid war design sub that never came into production for Empress which looking at the pics he sent me, looks to be just over three feet in length.

There are also parts to make a sizeable chunk of a third sub, maybe back to include the tower.

I have to restrict the depth of the pen so that it isn’t too wieldy and hard to store but also to a depth that would just cover the front section of the sub.  Also I can only realistically represent one bay in the pen, admittedly wide enough for two subs, but it wouldn’t afford much opportunity to move left and right through the pen if you get my drift.   For gaming purposes, I may well make an access door / corridor in the side wall of the pen ( roughly in line with the railway line buffer).

I envisage most of the action however to be played over the dockyard area, which I will cover with stock piles of barrels, packing crates, vehicles ( trucks) and buildings.

I’m really looking at the prospect of making a flak barge too, for interest sake most likely.

Once my next subs arrive, I will get a much better idea of how it will shape up, plus I can then get them painted to gain impetus.

I already have a list of bits to buy, including a number of Sarrissa barracks, boats, cranes, torpedos etc….so it will take a little time to complete me thinks.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 04:00:02 PM by Digits »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2022, 01:38:53 PM »
Paul’s sub parts have arrived (cheers fella) and a quick look suggests enough parts to make two subs!  I’ll be honest…I’ve no idea what subs they represent yet, so I may have popped the wrong bits together…or they may not even make up real subs….but no problem…they will still look great for my purposes!    They sit a bit lower in the water than the proper one and are narrower (by design?) but they will fit in just right.

The sub in the middle will sit alongside the Empress boat in the open water with the front section of the back boat (including the large tower) sitting inside the pen.

Will need to clean these up a little when I can get outside, mount them on plastic art and fill the gaps with a little gs….but they are great.  Paul also popped in a couple of the metal part kits from the commercial sub so I have a deck gun for each along with net cutters, periscope etc…

« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 01:42:31 PM by Digits »

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2022, 02:31:52 PM »
The flak boat was built on a Siebel ferry.  Not sure if you can pick up a model one?  This guy has a 3D printed one in 1:72

https://www.therailroadconnection.com/products/product_ad81147d-367b-a3fa-48af-0bcfc9422244

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2022, 06:35:37 PM »
Thanks…shames it’s in the US and 1/72nd though.    I may do something a little simpler anyway as this may take up too much space.    Going to concentrate on the docks and pen first then see what will fit and what is achievable.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2022, 08:33:59 PM »
I suspect it would be easier just going with a Vorpostenboot. Any old trawler model, armed as you see fit.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2022, 08:44:36 PM »
Great idea, subs are lovely :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2022, 11:03:40 PM »
I think there's a Flak ferry available from WoW as an STL file, if you have access to a printer.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2022, 11:17:10 PM »
Thanks…shames it’s in the US and 1/72nd though.    I may do something a little simpler anyway as this may take up too much space.    Going to concentrate on the docks and pen first then see what will fit and what is achievable.

At 1:56 it would be about half a meter long.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2022, 12:14:55 AM »
I think the Hafenschutzboot will fit the purpose...you only need something armed with machine guns and a searchlight to raise the alarm basically...not something armed with enough flak cannon to kill all your Commandos in 10 seconds.  ;)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2022, 08:18:09 AM »
You are quite possibly right fella!   lol

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2022, 08:33:01 AM »
Quick Ebay search of 1/50 boats.
Will come up with this. They come in around £12 .