Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:53:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690582
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 728
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A new 20th Century genre for me? Looking for suggestions…  (Read 3032 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
A new 20th Century genre for me? Looking for suggestions…
« on: December 13, 2021, 06:46:42 AM »
I have just written a lengthy blog post asking the question… what new genre should I do now that I have won some auctions with some 20th Century miniatures and vehicles…

https://thegrumpygnomehome.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=4823&action=edit

World War 2?
Weird War 2?
Atomicpunk/Dieselpunk Fallout?
Worldwar (Alien Lizardfolk invasion)

Something else?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 02:22:24 PM by Grumpy Gnome »
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: A new 20th Century genre for me? Looking for suggestions…
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 09:31:17 AM »
Well, if you have a load of WW" models, and you're likely to be playing on your own, why not try something like "Platoon Forward" published by TFL?

As it's name suggests, games are based around platoon-sized forces, and it's not only fairly well suited for solo-play, but specifically caters for this in the rules too. I daresay that you could play it co-op too if that ever becomes an option.

In the end though, only you know the answers to the following based on what you've recently acquired:

- What models do you have?
   - What models are you excited to play a game with?
   - What sort of games do you like playing?
   - What models that don't fit into the above are you wanting to sell on?

If you already have painted armies for games that you've not played, and these new acquisitions are not something you're likely to play many games in without significant further time/money investment, than perhaps it's the new stuff that needs paring down...? :)

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 10:32:39 AM »
I think you need to decide on what excites you in terms of the models AND the rules - otherwise you aren't going to play them.

I am in the process of moving stuff on (all my weird war WW2 DUST stuff is on sale at the moment) because I haven't played it for a long time and it just doesn't excite me enough when I can play WW2 straight with Bolt Action...

I am also really interested in Core Space but need to clear out an unplayed project before I can justify taking that on.

Mike
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 11:47:14 AM by black hat miniatures »
Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 10:56:09 AM »
Agreed on finding what really excites you and possibly considering paring down the new stuff if it's not quite what you hoped for?

With respect to a few of the thoughts thrown out in the article - for a starship troopers goes Atompunk feel, then giant insects ala Them! would be an alternative to WA spiders.
Twilight 1950 was a concept I liked (but then I have plans for something similar) you could also check out .45 Psychobilly retro apocalypse (https://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/45-Psychobilly-Retropocalypse-PDF.html) and Atomic Cafe 1957 from Brigade games as similar takes on 'mid century apocalypses'
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 01:36:05 PM »
I was aware of Chain of Command but not Platoon Forward. I will look into that as the solo play is attractive given Mrs. GG is reluctant to try a 20th Century warfare setting. She has expressed an interest in Pulp Adventure though.

The only new thing that came painted is the M4 Sherman, so considerable paint time is going to be involved. This is a project for next year really but to get the best savings it helps to have an eye open for long term projects. Great deals come and go in the blink of an eye on eBay.

Core Space is great but like Frostgrave and Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game, it does not scratch all of my hobby itches.

Thanks for the tips on the games, this is exactly the kind of information I am after. There are so many games out there that I have not heard of.

What is the most exotic setting anyone has seen Chain of Command used for?

EDIT: Reading up on Platoon Forward, this seems right up my alley. I am surprised I have not come across it sooner and it could also enhance Sharp Practice. Huzzah!

https://toofatlardies.co.uk/351-2/
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 02:07:42 PM by Grumpy Gnome »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 05:07:21 PM »
Okay, well I'm glad Platoon Forward seems to have ticked some boxes at least! And yes, that link is the game I meant. :)

With the rest of the points you mention:

1) The most exotic setting I've seen CoC adapted for is Star Wars (if that even counts as exotic?!) Link here.

2) A pulp (or Cthulhu?) setting might be a good way to make use of some of your WW2 minis. However, I doubt you'd need more than a few of them, so most of what you've just acquired would go unused. Seems a shame to not use them.

3) If you're interested in Weird World War 2 type of games, you could still use/convert the WW2 figs you've got, and at the same time it might be a game that appeals more to your wife. I daresay that if you're happy to fudge some rules for the "Weird" stuff, you could even still use the "straight" WW2 rulesets (like PF).

4) Painting WW2 models doesn't have to be a big time investment if you're not going for tight historical accuracy. If you start with a coloured spray paint (rattle can stuff), pick out a few details, and then apply an all-over wash, and you're basically 80%+ of the way to a fully finished model. Do them in batches of 10 models a go, and you'll be done in no time! 8)

Another game to consider might be 7TV? By turning all your WW2 stuff into a film or TV series, not only do you get to use all your models, but it also moves it away from actual WW2 settings as much/little as you like. Again, as with (3) above, this may make it more appealing to your wife. I'm not sure how suited the rules are for solo/co-op though.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 10:14:11 PM »
Some great food for thought there.

I think I need to accept this project is going to be 100% solo.

Offline Skipper

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2022, 12:26:33 AM »
A modified Zona Alfa/Twilight game would be fun.  I can imagine the quarantine zones could be created by limited nuclear war (before the big bombs were created) and then add in a weird war or alien twist and you are good to go

Skipper
Skipper

"No challenge is too small.......or too large!"

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2022, 03:13:05 AM »
If you are talking about Turtledove's World War series I have always thought that would be really fun.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 03:21:54 PM »
If you are looking at Turtledove’s “World War” in 28mm I suggest you check out Lancer Miniatures sci-if range. You will find some suitable lizard-like critters .

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 07:27:13 AM »
Thanks for the tip!