Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:46:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Revisiting Yellow Ribbon- A Project  (Read 2953 times)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
Re: Revisiting Yellow Ribbon- A Project
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2024, 03:39:01 PM »
HQ Company is coming together.  Mine is the sort of thing General Crooke liked with an infantry Company or two to protect the wagons and mule train.  One the whole thing is done I'll put some pic's on my blog.

In the meantime here are a couple of pic's of my progress so far.  All from QRF.  The wagon is a particularly nice piece of kit.

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2024, 11:24:26 AM »

Nice work, are those infantry wearing gloves?

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2024, 01:09:14 PM »
Thanks Tom, no just big hands.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2024, 01:36:37 PM »
Nice job on the wagon - and the horses.  Do you use some sort of 'rub' effect when painting your horses?

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2024, 03:14:00 PM »
Cheers 15s. 

No, I use a Windsor and Newton brown ink and then highlight in the base colour of the horse.  For Black manes and tails I highlight in Panzer Grey.  Then Windsor and Newton Acrylic Matt UV Varnish. Tan brown undercoat for the most part, for lighter horses I find linen coloured paint makes a good undercoat.

If I were painting 28s I think I might use the rub method. I've seen very impressive results with it.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2024, 03:35:58 PM »
My first Indian Warrior Band. 

This one representing Sioux, Cheyenne or Arapahoe.  The figures are from QRF bought sometime in the last century.  I’m currently working on the same band dismounted. 18 figures per Band.

I have rated the Band in accordance with Yellow ribbon.

Eventually I will have 3 Bands mounted and dismounted.  There are also pic’s of Peter Pig and Minifigs Buffalo on my blog.  I’m awaiting some more from QRF. 

There is a pic of Peter Pig Longhorns too.

If it is of interest here is the link:

http://youdonotknowthenorth.blogspot.com

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2024, 05:55:27 PM »
Very nice, OB.  Took a look at the blog - recommend if you do more long horn cattle that you use other colors if you have them, herds were usually a bit more colorful.  Yours are fine as is, just if you do more.  The buffalo look good - but be prepared for the QRF bison to be a good deal bigger.

Oh, and them Indians ain't bad, neither!  lol

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2024, 10:55:15 AM »
Thanks 15s.

Good tip on the Longhorns.  Yeah, the QRF Buffalo should complete the effect of different ages.

My next Indian Band will be all Minifigs.  Much easier to paint than the QRF ones.  There is so much detail on the latter that you are bound to miss something.  The advantage of this basing method is that it is fairly easy to paint what you have missed.  As an example one of the warriors has a stuffed bird on his head that I had not noticed.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2024, 02:51:15 PM »
Here is a link to use when painting any additional longhorns, lots of pictorial variety:

https://www.rockingolonghorns.com

Click on the thumbnails for larger images.

There are others - just when you search, watch out for Texas Longhorns football (American style) postings!

Online Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2024, 04:58:54 PM »
The advantage of this basing method is that it is easier to hide a mistake.  As an example one of the warriors has a stuffed bird on his head that I had not noticed.

Ditch the munchkins and switch to 28s, much easier to gorm wots-wot.
It'll get you, on one particular mean hombre's, wanted posters...

"But Hell, I wouldn't have it any other way!"

:D
« Last Edit: Today at 10:31:21 AM by Harry Faversham »
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #55 on: Today at 12:32:34 AM »
Thanks 15s. I might just re do a couple of them -simple enough on single bases.  BTW, my Peter Pig tepees have arrived.  As you said a superior product.

It's no use Harry, I have not painted anything bigger than 15mm for 40 years.  It is often tempting though. There are some very nice figures out there.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #56 on: Today at 01:08:35 AM »
Don't worry, OB. 

Harry is suffering from a variety of ailments related to withdrawals.  His "little darlings" have been let go and replaced with miniatures on steroids.  You might say he is all broken up 'that them handsome little fellers' have gone and taken "French leave" and left him with few painted figures to salve is breaking heart.  Especially given he has to start hosting and reporting on western/pony wars games to earn my forgiveness  :-[ - something he seems to think worthy of the death penalty, or as he put it, "'Ung by the neck until dead, dead, dead."  So take it easy on the bereft man, maybe offer him a full pail of ale (instead of spa).  He has to wait until he gets them Big Fellers painted.

You'll want your volume up a bit.

I guess it's time to break out a little Bob Marley music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6pm_IMohzI

Yes, you can call me The Spoon, the fastest retorter in the west!   lol :o :D ;)

Now, just to show there ain't no hard feelings on my part and with just a touch of Air Cav for a second or two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV38r2cPzJY

And, of course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk_SPhyKLYY

Oh, heck, let's go for broke, hang in there until the end OB for a nice view of a modest herd of buffalo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HVsLmRaKig

And this has nothing to do with the above but it is just cool - and, for me, poignant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC3axYHlIW8

When I first saw that last bit, in a movie theater with a big screen, for a fraction of a second, I was right there in the action charging down that hill!  Coolest movie moment I ever experienced.

And, sadly, the Lt. Faversham figure who was going to appear in my games, well, he'll still be there but busted all the way down to private - and assigned six months of latrine duty.  Poor man. I guess that is what the song means about paying the reckoning "on the nail".  I just hope he doesn't 'show the white feather' and have to be chased down by a patrol and then locked in the guard house for a Very Long Time.   ;)

Oh, and glad to offer any assistance I can OB.  I think your figure may just be getting a promotion - well, if you are properly related to someone high up in the Washington establishment!
« Last Edit: Today at 04:18:03 AM by FifteensAway »