Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:35:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685047
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 766
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New project for 2022.  (Read 11360 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: New project for 2022.
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2022, 06:26:03 AM »
Nice touch with the native graveyard.  Also like Chief Lame Beaver - but that is an awfully thick base! 

Sadly, down the years, The Great Lame Beaver has been proved to a an awfully thick Indian! His greatest critic once observed...

"He must have been painted with Squawpaint instead of Warpaint!"

:'(
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2022, 02:29:18 PM »
Ah, yes, Atlantic.  I "inherited" the remainders of an Atlantic western set that included some buffalo that are mixed into my 120 animal herd.  Recently bought some more buffalo (Peter Pig and Freikorps) that I will be converting to dead buffalo - including some skinned animals to recreate the scene from Dances With Wolves.  Most of the other items were a bit too big for 15 mm but I still have them around somewhere.

Did I say 120?  Yes, I did.  And two more from the Freikorps hunting set not yet painted.  The 120 are painted.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2022, 04:31:05 AM »
I'll be starting on the second Cavalry Regiment this week. Minifigs, I think they are, and will represent either the 9th or 10th. Many Moon's ago I got a 'Billy the Kid' annual for Crimbo, one of the stories therein was the 'Buffalo Soldiers'. A tale of derring-do, how the black Cavalrymen won the respect of the Indians. In later years I learned just how good these two Regiments had been, if memory serves, a record of the lowest desertion and highest re-enlistment rates in the American Army?
I plan to honour them with a Regiment to ride out onto the Great Plains alongside the 7th.

:)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2022, 07:08:15 AM »
For a start the 9th & 10th all spoke the same
language, i.e. English.
If you haven't already seen it, watch the film,
'Sgt Rutlidge'  Ahead of its time for giving a
fairer view of Buffalo Soldiers.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2022, 09:38:06 AM »
Seen it, one of the reasons I want the 'Buffalo Soldiers' in the collection, Woody Strode is one of my favourite actors...
small but memorable part in 'Once Upon A time In The West' too.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2022, 12:54:38 AM »
Yes, the 9th and 10th were very good regiments - and not just because of low desertion or high reenlistment rates.  They were just good.  Got to meet some reenactors of the regiment in Old Sacramento some years ago - and if memory serves a couple of them had ancestors who served in the regiments.  I think they were pleasantly surprised at how much I knew about their regiments and just how good they were, especially given my skin tone is a bit lighter than theirs!   ;) 

One of my non-7th battalions will be a 9th/10th battalion (4 x 12 figure companies - or one large 48 figure company if desired for a scenario).

Cotton Jim has nice paper flags (pennants) for US Cavalry.  QRF/Freikorps have them in the UK (or will when they are back up from their move - I think already started).  Alas, the 7th seems to be out of stock. 

Haven't seen the other movie mentioned but I own the Buffalo Soldiers movie - made for TV with Danny Glover.  TV movies never quite live up to cinema for me but it was an okay movie and did represent some of the realities of the times per my readings of history.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2022, 11:27:12 PM »
“Tis the gallant 7th Cavalry
It matters not where we are going
Such you’ll surely say as we march away;
And our band plays Garryowen."

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2022, 12:25:21 AM »
Very nice.  Trouble brewing somewhere no doubt.

Those saguaro cacti are mightily misplaced if you are doing Little Big Horn area!  :o.  Have to go down Apacheria way to get those bits to fit in.  Don't think the 7th got down that way.  But, heck, no reason not to use them if you want to - it's just a hobby.

By the way, both Peter Pig and Stone Mountain sell cacti in metal, PP larger, SM smaller and both saguaro type.  And I had quite a find - for the sad reason of a passed on local gamer's collection being sold off to help pay for his care costs - of a bunch of alternative types of cacti which I will add to some elements I bought when visiting Arizona a dozen years ago and I'll be able to make 30 bases of diverse cacti.  I plan to do in groups of 3, 5, and 7 - sort of bonsai style.  Alas, I don't know the source of the alternative types but they were plastic and green and almost certainly a hobby product - perhaps from something like Atlantic, Hatt, or Airfix.  Not sure what one type is but the other type looks a lot like prickly pear - without the fruit.

Progress on my end for western gaming?  Primed 10 buckboards (2 damaged), 6 buggies, and 4 grain wagons.  And just last night working on a bunch of poultry.  Poultry?  Yes, poultry - how can you do a western without chickens roaming about?  lol

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2022, 06:35:17 AM »
But, heck, no reason not to use them if you want to - it's just a hobby.

"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend"

That's the rub of it, innit?

We all want the 'Boy General' and his 7th Cavalry in our games. But said games, must always take place in a Monument Valley setting! I'm guessing the terrain around the Big Horn River would look pretty much like that in 'Dances with Wolves'? That won't do, that won't do at all. Where my 7th Cavalry and Indians will be roamin' will look more like the sweeping vistas in 'She Wore a Yellow Ribbon'.
The cactusus/cacti in the piccys are Britains Deetail models, purportedly 54mm scale!

:-*  ;)  :-*

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2022, 01:34:17 PM »
Artistic license is always good - and you will need some to get those saguaro into Monument Valley which is in Utah and far northern Arizona well north of the Sonoran desert where they are found!   lol

If you see them in that valley in movies, they were probably set up by greens men - the members of a movie crew who make sure the director gets what he wants visually from the plants.  Or it is a more modern shot and someone planted them there. 

Dang pendanticism.   :D

And, yes, Dances With Wolves is a good match for the area of LBH - in a general sort of way.  It is a BIG battle field, about five miles long if not more, quite a distance between Reno Hill and Last Stand Hill.

Arizona is actually much better visually, to me, than Monument Valley and actually had lots of cavalry versus Indian actions with the Apache - why I have all those cacti and lots of Apaches - more than just the 7th in my collection.  And home to lots of saguaro. ;) John Ford really missed a beat by not filming there - he could have used the Sedona area which is spectacularly colorful.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 12:59:36 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2022, 08:00:20 PM »
Well, Fort Apache was filmed (at least in part) in Monument Valley, and Lt. Col. Thursday always reminded me of Lt. Col. Custer.  Heck, they even shared the same fate...in the dark recesses of my feeble mind, it ain't really much of a stretch there...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2022, 11:57:27 PM »
Need a bit of advice please chaps. Just gleaned a couple of Gatling Guns, to help the Cavalry repel the savage Redskin hordes! Where the guns crew Artillery men, or would they have been manned by Infantrymen? Need to know for the facing colours and wotnot. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

???

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2022, 03:00:36 AM »
Consulting a photo of one of the Gatling's in Terry's 1876 column (that included the ill fated 7th Cavalry), they appear to be either cavalry or infantry - and I'm pretty sure infantry (some included in the column).  But otherwise going more off of recollection than consulting references, most of the guns/gatlings used in the plains wars were manned by non-artillery and most of the artillery men used were 'red-leg' infantry, heavy coastal battery units employed as infantry.  If I run across better information, I'll check back and post unless someone provides better information before I do. 

There were some artillerymen but I believe they were mostly used to train the cavalry and/or infantry to use the pieces at hand. 

So, I guess, you could paint up three different crew types: infantry, cavalry, and artillery - not that expensive in 15 mm (and might inform me when I get to that part of my collection).  And, heck, maybe even some semi-civilian 'militia' such as might have been 'dragooned' by someone like those under Chivington (more as a what if than historical perhaps).

Okay, did a quick Google check and found this thesis submitted 1981: THE ARTILLERY WITH THE REGULAR ARMY IN THE WEST FROM 1866 TO 1890 by LARRY DON ROBERTS, which does state that my surmise is correct vis-a-vis the lack of actual artillery for the most part. 

While the thesis at first brush is a bit dense it does have some cool bits like a map of the period rail lines and another of the period telegraph lines.  I will certainly spend more time with it but just now I am supposed to be painting pygmies!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 03:02:14 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2022, 10:27:08 AM »
I will certainly spend more time with it but just now I am supposed to be painting pygmies!

Stop moaning, painting them's only a little job!

;D

Meanwhile back on the Great Plains. I'll have Cavalrymen manning the Gatlings, maybe with a couple of 'proper' NCO Artillerymen, dishing the orders out and supervising proceedings.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2022, 11:24:31 AM »
If you are looking for more wagons for your wagon train, look a ACW equipment in 15mm ranges. Also Zulu/Boer wars ranges.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +87