Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:42:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: NotifyGrout's Sci-Fi Stuff (2022-12-20: Warzone Mercurian Maculator WIP)  (Read 3331 times)

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
So yeah, I paint stuff. Sometimes I even finish models. This thread is to show off the science-fiction/space opera/future themed stuff I've done.

Such excitement!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 05:24:15 PM by NotifyGrout »
https://www.instagram.com/notify_grout/
Current projects: collecting way too many vintage Warzone models.

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
Two Razides, 20 years apart
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 11:27:51 PM »
The guy on the left is a Razide from the sadly out of production Warzone: Resurrection that I finished a few weeks ago.

The one on the right is his ancestor, from Warzone 1st Edition, painted in 2000.

As much as the new sculpt is fancy and more detailed, the old sculpt has that charm that is gone from so many game-centered miniatures these days. Sure, he's a synthetic killing machine built from the ground up for maximum destruction, but he looks like he has, I dunno, feelings? Like maybe he wanted to be a painter, or a gardener, but he didn't have a choice.

The new guy is still cool, but he's got this slick polish to him that lacks character.

I'm a bit torn- on one hand, I'd like to try repainting the old one, especially since it's next to impossible to obtain now (the original molds were destroyed), but on the other, he's a marker from another point in my life, and I was pretty happy with the simple overbrushing techniques that I stumbled upon actually working.

If anyone has another one of the one on the right, let me know what you'd like in money or trade.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 11:34:01 PM by NotifyGrout »

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Re: NotifyGrout's Occasionally Updated Painting Thread- Sci-Fi Edition!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 07:49:18 AM »
They look great.

Offline Lord Faoil

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 08:04:43 PM »
Nice paint job, have you tried the Prince August website?
Here's a link to the Razide
https://shop.princeaugust.ie/tg9691pb-warzone-dark-legion-dark-eden-razide-figures/

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 07:44:50 AM »
I may have to settle for that Nazca Razide, even though it's less detailed.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 07:48:14 PM »
Serious steroid use at the gymn.

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
Re: NotifyGrout's Sci-Fi Stuff
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 10:37:19 PM »
Works in progress of a mix of classic and Resurrection Warzone models.

Ever find a model that you like enough to want to put on the table, but you really don't want to paint it? The Resurrection Dark Legionnaires (the guys in sickly yellow ochre) are that for me- until I got the Antithesis/custom wash on them, I wasn't even sure where to begin.

Meanwhile, Jake Kramer is coming together nicely. Very pleased with his custom Gehenna Puker so far.

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
Re: NotifyGrout's Sci-Fi Stuff
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2022, 06:54:12 PM »
I need to post my Cybertronic Mirrormen experiment with color shift paint that didn't go so well. On the other hand, if you want a metallic item to really be bright, a white undercoat is great! :?

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
Re: NotifyGrout's Sci-Fi Stuff (3/26: Scorpion)
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2022, 07:34:34 AM »
Calling him done. A Warzone 1st Edition Scorpion.

I used the mostly-monochromatic palette to practice highlighting and shading, which was largely successful. I started with Warcolours Pewter, then shaded with Army Painter Dark Tone in the recesses, then highlighted with a mix of the Pewter and my vintage Mithril Silver, which worked a lot better than I thought it would considering Warcolours uses a gel medium and I'm pretty sure the classic GW paints do not. I finally used Scale75 White Alchemy for a few choice highlights.

I took inspiration from a recent post on Duncan Rhodes' YouTube channel on how to do power swords, but did it in my own less-patient way, plus I added some Kirby-dot-inspired edging to make it look more like it's crackling with heat.

In the game, in addition to the heated sword and the riot shield, those big vane-covered ports are heavy grenade launchers, and the tail is a light machine gun. It's an expensive utility model than can do it all. A small game of 1st Edition Warzone was typically around 500 points, and this beast costs 125!

Base was a bargain basement miscut from Dad's Armies. A few coats of Vallejo Game Color Ghost Grey and it's retro-future pavement.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
Re: NotifyGrout's Sci-Fi Stuff (3-26: Warzone Scorpion)
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2022, 11:31:39 AM »
 Love the blade on the Scorpion.

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
Re: NotifyGrout's Sci-Fi Stuff (12/20: WIP Warzone Mercurian Maculator)
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2022, 05:23:25 PM »

Got some airbrush practice in yesterday. Things I learned this time:

1) Priming with an airbrush is wonderful. If you can afford a decent compressor and an inexpensive airbrush, it's almost worth it for this use alone.
2) Basecoating is a bit trickier but is also quite nice.
3) There's a reason fancy hobby airbrushes have the built-in gravity feed cup on the top. I got a cheap side feed airbrush and while it works fine, it requires more paint in the cup and more frequent refills.
4) A setting of ~30 PSI seems to be the sweet spot, ensuring that actual PSI never drops below 25.
5) Army Painter's airbrush products have been good to me so far.

Sadly, the triad I used in an attempt at shade, mid, highlight didn't really come through, but the final color is still quite nice. I need to change to a .2 needle for that sort of thing, or perhaps thin it more for proper layering.

Anyhow, this guy should be fun to finish painting. Fun fact- when it was an in-production model, Target Games intended for this heavy metal beast to be on a 25mm base. Were they nuts? This is a 3D printed 80mm base and it feels like it's barely enough! o_o

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: NotifyGrout's Sci-Fi Stuff (12/20: WIP Warzone Mercurian Maculator)
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2022, 07:56:27 PM »

Anyhow, this guy should be fun to finish painting. Fun fact- when it was an in-production model, Target Games intended for this heavy metal beast to be on a 25mm base. Were they nuts? This is a 3D printed 80mm base and it feels like it's barely enough! o_o

lol

Yes, this one's a whopper. Strangely enough, some though not all the other models in that 1ed size class (Eradicator, Ezoghoul) had solid metal bases with the feet being integral, or would stand up on their own (Hurricane Walker), but his one with its tab was even more top heavy than the Razides and friends...

Of course,  there not being much else in the way of slottas back in ye olden dayes except for 25 round and hex, 20, 25 and 40mm square may not have been helpful.

Nice skintone. I dare say he might benefit from some stronger contrasts in shadows and highlights, but that may be due to the photo.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 08:00:27 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
Re: NotifyGrout's Sci-Fi Stuff (2022-12-20: Warzone Mercurian Maculator WIP)
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2022, 08:30:07 PM »
Some really lovely painting.

Offline Knightofspades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2022, 09:47:38 PM »
These miniatures are cool and the base work on that macolator is great.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2022, 09:28:02 AM »
Looks like a great start on the Maculator - does yours lean forward quite a bit as well? If so, did you leave it that way, or straighten him up at all?

The Scorpion's looking great too - as others have said, the sword is especially good!  :D