Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:01:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 9
Guests: 486
Total: 495

Recent

Author Topic: Building a fantasy village (It's finished. For now)  (Read 7533 times)

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
Re: Building a fantasy village
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2022, 12:09:18 PM »
Long Hiatus, but I am back on it. I was a bit demotivated by some mishaps with my 3d printer, but I got it sorted out. Got my money back from the shop and bought a new one at another shop. Due to a sale I was even able to upgrade from a mars2 pro to a mars 3. Higher resolution and bigger buildplate: nice.

I did do some crafting in the meantime, but I haven't made a lot of pictures. You've already seen the floors, but I now added some colours to it. I used craft paint to mix a nice brown and a lighter tone. The lighter tone I painted on the pieces of the wood that would be most worn: the paths from the door to fireplace, bed, windows and tables. This was all wetblended and I painted metal on the trapdoor. Everything was given my standard darkbrown wash, with some added black. I was planning on drybrushing it, but decided against it. I liked the look. The worn effect was lost a bit, but the way it combined with how the wash had dried I though it gave it a look that had enough variety in colour and I like the dark warm look and didn't feel like brightening it.
I made some small strips of stone. Simply by cutting some irregular shapes and glueing them on a clothing pin untill they dried. Used some alluminum foil to rough it up and painted it in grey/browns with a wash and drybrush. These where glued in forn of the fire places. I was planning on some logs in them as well, but honestly, I just want this done now. Maybe at some later point.

Cutting some cloth in pieces to hang in front of the sleeping area, I super-glued them to some skewers and soaked them in PVA Glue/water/primer mix. I placed this on a surface the glue wouldn't adhere to and let it dry over night, after carefully creating some folds. I also used some of this method to put some fabric on some balsa wood cut to shape to fill the beds. Making sure it looked a bit lumpy. When dry I painted them up in several brownish colours and glued the into place with pva, simply sticking some cloth pins to keep them in place untill they dried. That's the enterior done, but for the furniture and the exterior just needs some green.

I bought some files for tavern props, which had some lovely detailing: including cutlery, buckets, food items, bowls, tankards and stuff. Really nice stuff that would allow me to make different shelves and tables.
There was also a wealth of free stuff to be found on thingyverse and the like.
One set of files came pre-supported (and luckily also unsupported, it seeemed).
As a complete newby I started with these, but I ended up as quite a journey. The pre-supported stuff came out fine, but some of the other model only printed half.
After googling what the problem was and asking advise on several platforms, including this one, I understood the problem.
A big flat area creates a lot of suction and will pull the model from the buildplate if not properly supported, so it will only start printing when there's enough space from another support to start builing on. The sollution is angling the model in such a way that the slicer shows a little red as possible before placing the supports.

This also means you need way less supports, in the final picture you see 3 models I printed at the same time. The one in front was supported by me and required little clean up. The one in the back came pre-supported but did not survive clean up.
It was a bit frustrating and all, but in the end it was a very usefull experience. I have a way bigger understanding about supports and becoming less anxious about using my printer. This did cost me a FEP sheet amd I needed to replace it, which was also a bit daunting. Not as daunting as having resin on my screen, but I was lucky I could remove it with a plastic scraper. Still best to not have this happen to often. I bought a screen protector sheet, which had some good reviews and some plastic razorblades that seemed to be able to clean a screen if disaster strike.

The final picture is what I now need to paint, which is actually quite a lot for but 4 houses.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 12:21:36 PM by The Voivod »
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: Building a fantasy village (The advenure continues 3D)
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2022, 12:21:07 PM »
Lovely stuff. I think I missed this thread last time around, will be following with interest.
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2022, 05:59:02 AM »
Wow.  Fantastic!  I would love to try something like this for 15mm.

Dan

Offline D79

• Schoolboy
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2022, 08:59:20 AM »
Looking lovely!
I'm sure this will make for some great terrain, once finished!

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2022, 11:29:36 AM »
Those already pre-supported models look like they pushed "autosupports" on the slicer with heavy density and called it a day.

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2022, 06:27:45 AM »
Thanks all. I'm hoping to make the finishing touches this week and finally call this project done.

Wow.  Fantastic!  I would love to try something like this for 15mm.

Dan

Wow, that sounds daunting. It'd sound like an interesting project to follow.

Those already pre-supported models look like they pushed "autosupports" on the slicer with heavy density and called it a day.
My guess as well. After that they included some heavy supports for.... reasons. Really wondered why they bothered. But the files where nice and I had unsupported versions to play with as well, so all's good in the end.

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2022, 08:20:57 AM »
It is done!
Unbelievable, but I plowed through it and I now have 4, highly detailed, completely furnished fantasy buildings.
It was somewhat frustrating at times, but I'm allready itching to build a hag's hut for the outskirts of the village, so I must have enjoyed myself. I am very pleased by the results and there's plenty of plans to add to the set. The smithy, Inn, a windmill and plenty of greenery, both woodlands and farmland. So much more to add to this..

There wasn't a whole lot of exciting things to add, since last update.
I added some green and moss on the outside. For this I made a mix of watered down PVA and static grass. I made sure to fill amy cracks where the wall pieces didn't properly fit as much and then scattered one of 2 materials over it. Some static grass on the lower parts and some bright flock to the green that would go higher on the buildings.
I made the pva/grass mix, so I could both fill the gaps, but also have an already green base for the greenery, making sure I would get a good, visible coverage.

Then it was just painting all that I had printed. I basecoated everything in one of two browns. After this I gave it all a wash (I started brushing, but ended up just dunking it all in the pot of the home-made wash I used for the entire project. So much faster and a definite plus on making such a huge batch)
A quick drybrush with the origional brown mixed with some bone and light grey and most of the wood was done. I picked the metal on the simpler pieces and gave this a black wash. The goal was to set aside as many finished pieces in  every step to make each next step less daunting. Seeing the pieces that remained required more and more colours.
I then tried and paint as many small details in one go as possible. All the cheeses, all the botltles and so on. Making sure as to not overdo it. Some pieces only got one highlight, but It's more an overall look I am going for here. If I paint this all up as if I am painting for a competition I'll never be done and I doubt it'll be scrutinized that hard.
And with that....
I'm done.
I'm done?

Now, if just the heroes can get rid of that pesky dragon before it torches the place, that'd be great.

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2022, 08:22:24 AM »
More pics and I couldn't add all in one go, but I'm eager to finally show this in all it's glory.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2022, 08:23:20 AM »
Fantastic! Lovely and atmoshperic.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
Re: Building a fantasy village (It's finished. For now)
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2022, 09:17:46 AM »
The interior of the housesis very well done, congrats.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2022, 09:18:35 AM »
Brill  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2022, 02:00:24 PM »
Yay, you finished them!!!   :-*

They're looking da shiznit, bro!

Can't wait to do some questing and fighting in the village of Neverdone..  8)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2022, 11:22:10 AM »
Thanks all.
I'm pretty pleased and can't wait to break them in with a game.

Can't wait to do some questing and fighting in the village of Neverdone..  8)

Yeah, that sounds like an appropriate name...
Sorely tempted to start on that Hag's Hut I mentioned, especially with the new toys from Shifting Lands I bought yesterday at the convention.

That's a small project, right?

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2022, 04:11:18 PM »
Great stuff  :-* :-* :-*
Can you tell me where you got the dragon?

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2022, 09:33:23 PM »
Thank you.
It's the Tyrant of Halpi and comes in the Mantic dungeon Saga expansion of the same name.

it's made of some weird rubbery plastic, not unlike the first reaper bones, so it's a bit hard to remove mold lines.
But for a model this size the material is rigid enough. It held detail well enough and I like the bulky sculpt, to fit such a hulking model in a boardgame.