Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:41:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How Extensive was the Wearing of the Polish 1919 Uniform?  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Pan Marek

• Scientist
How Extensive was the Wearing of the Polish 1919 Uniform?
« on: December 20, 2021, 05:32:13 PM »
I want to paint up some Poles for 1920.  I've got the Osprey "Armies of the Russo Polish War" and "Warsaw 1920".
I've seen the recent Polish film.  And have scoured the internet for photos and full color plates.  I have a decent handle on the
available uniforms of 1918-21.   But only hints at just how far the distribution of the khaki 1919 uniform was.  And which other uniforms were worn.  Photos seem to suggest not much except with staff officers.  But lets face it, all available photos are in black and white.

I know we have some regulars here who know more than me.  What do you think, gents?

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
Re: How Extensive was the Wearing of the Polish 1919 Uniform?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 05:15:30 AM »
I was hoping someone would answer this. The group really needs a Polish version of Cuprum! I'm going to have a crack at answering it, but I'm only too happy to be shown wrong.

My answer is very few wore the full 1919 uniform.

1) While we can't see the colours in photos, the men tend not to be wearing M1919 caps, and I would predict that caps would come first.

2) Many, perhaps even most, re-enactors of the period are in non-M1919 uniforms, despite it being easier if you work from official standards, and they tend choose those elite units you would expect to be privileged. Those guys take their research seriously.

3) The Poles were unable to put many of their new volunteer units in 1920 into any uniform, let alone an official one.

The senior officers wore it, but I would guess most had them separately tailored. Some cavalry, probably privately acquired. Maybe some of Pilsudski’s favoured Legion units. Just perhaps some reserve and volunteer companies and battalions, if the locality had to make a uniform for them.

I have my doubts that much of the Blue Army or the Wielkopolska Army (Poznanians and Pomeranians) wore it. They joined the Polish army late, had surpluses in their own styles, and were proud of their origins.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 01:45:55 PM »
I cannot give an exact answer to this question. I don't have enough information.
To answer this question, it is necessary to conduct an extensive analysis of the photos of specific military units, and the photos must be correctly attributed and dated. I haven't done it yet. I am surprised that the Poles, who are very careful about their history, have not yet carried out such studies (well, or they are not known to me yet).
In any case, all kinds of uniforms were in use in 1920, including the 1919 model uniform. So creating units in this uniform will definitely not be a mistake.

Offline Pan Marek

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 06:44:46 PM »
Ouch.  If you two gentlemen don't know, I'm not sure anyone fluent in English can reply!

In the past, I didn't pay very close attention to the old black and white photos.  There are usually enough "Polish elements" to uniforms in the shots to identify the subjects as Polish.  But now that I need to paint some, I'm
examining them more closely.  I note differences in the cut of tunics in one photo, and myriad hats.  Some have collar patches, some don't. And, it appears that the color of the uniforms differ, even within a unit.

We need Peter Jackson to put these photos through the processes he used for his film "They Shall Not Grow Old"!

Thanks for replying.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 08:01:43 AM »
I would guess only the Polish wore it. Every other nation had their own uniforms  lol

Sorry couldn't resist. ;)
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt