Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:13:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (Kickstarter) (Campaign Finished) Heraldic Waterslide Decals for Wargaming  (Read 4800 times)

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
Hello everyone! I want to take this opportunity to share with all of you a project I've been working on. Over the past year I've been working with friends, family, and other people with knowledge about image editing towards completing a project involving wargaming waterslide decals. I've put together a number of heraldic images on multiple decal sheets and have designed them to be used for 28mm miniature wargaming.

I've decided to post this up in the Medieval section of this forum because it is Medieval related, despite being depicted with fantasy miniatures. 

In regards to heraldry, there is a wonderful book that was written in the early part of the 20th century that covers a whole lot of what Heraldry is exactly, how it was used, and gives various examples of how heraldry was displayed. The book, A COMPLETE GUIDE TO HERALDRY by Arthur Charles Fox-Davies (with illustrations by Graham Johnston) is where I draw the images for these decals from. The book and its work is currently available online for hardcopy purchase from various publishers and also in a few places for free. The book along with the artwork inside has been widespread distributed and is considered to be in the public domain. There are many amazing and wonderful examples of the various animals, creatures, and objects that Nobles, Lords, Knights, Heralds, Kings and various entities and establishments used throughout the eras since the origins of these images. I've often looked through the book and thought how cool it would be to include some of the artwork within this treasure trove of information somehow in my miniature collection.

After some years of running my own miniature wargaming terrain Kickstarters, building up my own miniature collection and painting skills, and working with various people involved in the industry, I decided it would be amazing to create a small series of traditional waterslide decal sheets that would honor and bring life to these old illustrations and descriptions found in the book. Initially I was thinking only to create my own personal print outs of these decals, however after some consideration I felt it would be even better if instead I made them available for every miniature wargaming fan out there to make use of.

Here's some Frostgrave Soldiers wandering some ruins and fighting some enemies with their Fire-Forge Foot Sergeant Shields emblazoned with just a few of the decals! 

I built the decals to match fantasy style or large medieval shields (with Fire-Forge sergeants, Warhammer Bretonnians, and other miniature companies in mind). The decals will be printed in a multi-layered format which allows for heavy coverage over whatever paint you put it on, which means there's no paintjob showing through the decal details or color. You could put a white colored decal like one of the bears or a goat on a black shield and the decal will remain white without the black darkening the white coloring.

Each decal sheet will have 162 decals and there will be 4 variants of sheets. Each decal image contains 5 left facing images and 4 left facing images (for those that love to put decals on the horses!). The first two sheets are some real world animals and what I felt were best or common on heraldry. For these first two sheets I've put multiples of the same image but gave them alternative coloring. The third sheet is the first stretch goal, which contains some animals that I felt looked unique or special as heraldry. Finally the last sheet and last stretch goal contains mythical and mystical creatures and beasts like dragons or wyverns. The YouTube link below will show you a brief summary of the decal sheet prototypes.

Finally, I'm working with a proper printing shop to get these pumped out if the project is successful. This will ensure better quality and will speed up the printing process instead of me printing every single sheet out of my home.

The Project is now live! http://kck.st/3eCk88b

You can also check out more on my YouTube Channel:

1) Kickstarter Info - A Brief Summary and show of Decal Sheet Prototypes.

https://youtu.be/PkPEiv-wTOA

2) Decal Application - Me applying a decal using the old Citadel 'ardcoat and Lahmia medium method to protect and seal the decal.

https://youtu.be/NL5-C4Twejg

Project is now live! Check out more here: http://kck.st/3eCk88b

« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 10:28:35 PM by Wiegraf »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: (Kickstarter) UPCOMING PROJECT Heraldic Waterslide Decals for Wargaming
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 10:00:17 PM »
Looks really interesting, have put this on notify.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 07:27:19 AM »
This might be just what I need :)
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline brunei35

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 08:52:48 AM »
Looks interesting and also put on notify.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 03:42:43 PM »
Thank you for doing this! There are some heraldic decals available from other venders but yours look to be superior.
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2021, 06:47:26 PM »
Looks good, but...
5 left facing images and 4 left facing images (for those that love to put decals on the horses!).

?????  Should some be 'right' facing ?????
            ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2021, 07:06:36 PM »
Consider me interested. I like the lack of color bleed through.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2021, 08:03:42 PM »
These look great.
Will be in on the KS when it starts.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2021, 08:11:42 PM »
duly noted and saved.

Certainly looks of interest!

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2021, 08:16:34 PM »
Thank you everyone for your interest! We've got over 150 followers now on the pre-launch page and that means a lot of folks will see the Kickstarter up and running right away once I hit the launch button.

The Kickstarter itself is almost complete. I am just putting on the final few touch ups and am planning to run fairly soon here. I'll modify the title here in the forum and post proper links and more info when it starts!

Again, thanks for the interest! Hope you all had an excellent holiday weekend!

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
Re: (Kickstarter) NOW LIVE! Heraldic Waterslide Decals for Wargaming
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 05:11:43 PM »
The project has launched and isnow live!  :o

You can check its progression, support and back it, or leave any questions by following this link here: http://kck.st/3eCk88b

Thanks everyone!

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2021, 01:40:07 PM »
Pledged for 8 sheets, hopefully it will kickstart my Frostgrave project.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2022, 08:40:37 PM »
Thank you everyone who has showed interest, backed, and shared the project around! We've reached over $4500 Cad so that means all the sheets are unlocked for pledge reward choices! Hurrah!

I'll keep on sharing this project where I can and putting some more decal examples out there for people to observe. I've had a few questions about which miniature figure lines these decals work with so I'll try to take some photos and do up some models that will help answer these questions.  :) Thank you!

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2022, 11:50:46 PM »
Just for those that were asking in private messages over various platforms: I made a short video about sizing with what I could. Hope that helps. Click here to see. https://youtu.be/IOghqqSz7VA

I tried to do a bit of a comparison and put together a historical reference as well with the Perry mini on the left there.

Also , here's some images of some decal size comparisons for those of you who want to compare with certain Fantasy Knights out there. I quickly cut them out and used my iPhone to take some quick shots.

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2022, 08:02:20 PM »
Here's another shot / example of the decals in use. This time I put one on a battle tank, specifically an Italian M13/40 from ww2. I know it's not "medieval" but I thought I'd share another way decals could be used.

The campaign has done extremely well. It's gone beyond expectations and we still have lots of time left. So if anyone's still interested in backing for some waterslide decals, you can still check them out here: http://kck.st/3eCk88b