Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:07:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Highland miniatures WIP (Alternative Warhammer Winged Lancers. )  (Read 1423 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Plodding along with my snails pace Fantasy project.  It was mentioned by a few people that they'd considered using Highland miniatures as proxy figures. But we're put off by not seeing anything but 'screenshots'.
I've a War Altar to add to my Empire force so I decided to have some Winged lancers as a proxy Fanatics support unit.
Here's a couple of test pieces.
If it's of use to anyone I can add my musings on buying printed Highland miniatures.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 11:56:40 AM by tin shed gamer »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Winged Lancers proxy. (Highland Miniatures)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 03:05:43 PM »
Damn they look good.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Highland miniatures WIP (Alternative Warhammer Winged Lancers. )
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 12:03:59 PM »
Cheers Paul.

The figure fur hat has had an unexpected reaction 48 hrs after the matt varnish was applied.
The paint has contracted away from the figure in two fracture lines similar effect to a crackle effect.  In fact you can just see the smaller crack behind the hammer hand in the picture ( which is when I noticed  it) oddly enough they're both in deep folds on the clothing.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 03:49:11 PM »
Gorgeous! I love the wat you painted the feathers!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 04:02:57 PM »
These look very good.   :)

If it's of use to anyone I can add my musings on buying printed Highland miniatures.

Useful to me.   ::)  (Actually, just painting my first ever 3D printed figures.  Not Fantasy though.)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 11:00:44 AM »
MG,
The feathers are pretty much the same method and formula I use oddly enough on griffin's ( and pretty much anything that needs brown feathers. Which is most things because it's faster than trying to figure out the right combination of shades in a different colour  lol)
The basic trick is what ever tone you choose for the next colour up from the base of the feather . Becomes the shading pin wash for the colour before it .Until you reach the tip of the feather.

OrcT,
I'll try and make enough time to do a write up before New Year. What I'll say for now is a did a lot of trawling of Etsy and ebay. Asked a lot of questions ( not always answered,and in one case they stopped trading. )
Obviously I found one with reasonable printing resolution and was happy to replace damaged and print failures for free.
As a bonus he'd be happy to taken on private printing commissions from LAF members. He won't of course do them for free as he needs to eat. But he is willing to give a discount to Laffers using him as a printing service. In fact he asked if I thought it would help if he offered a discount in general to Laffers.
I'll not openly post the name of the printing service. Simply because it wouldn't be fair on them. For obvious reasons. Plus I've no idea how that'd work or even if it's within the spirit of the forum.As this was simply something that was mentioned over a couple of emails.
If you PM I'll let you know which company I ended up using,and once I've spoken to them I'll see if I can give you their direct email. Then you can haggle between yourselves.
I've no desire to become some sort of go between. As I've no more involvement than a £30 spend and a session of Q&A.
He's no idea I sculpt for a living. To the point I even got sent a note of caution on the dos and don't of converting resin printed miniatures. Which was refreshing compared the' I've just bought a printer'crowd that seem to dominate the market.

Offline Ceeteegee

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 08:35:51 PM »
Very, very nice work and a mighty handy comparison shot with Empire minis.
It's also great to see those minis under a coat of paint. Luckily I have so many minis to paint I couldn't possibly order any more.......

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 11:51:46 PM »
Very, very nice work and a mighty handy comparison shot with Empire minis.
It's also great to see those minis under a coat of paint. Luckily I have so many minis to paint I couldn't possibly order any more.......

Ohhhh yes you can....
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt