Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:31:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690584
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Core Space  (Read 7171 times)

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Re: Core Space
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2022, 11:09:21 AM »
I have used the cardstock terrain about half a dozen times and it's starting to look shoddy.

I keep repairing with superglue as necessary but I intend to replace with something more robust in the future.

I do regret the purchase as I could have bought mdf for nor much more; I suppose it was the teardown to reduce storage space which sold me.

The teardown ability is the systems greatest strength but also it's greatest weakness.

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2022, 12:55:40 PM »

I think those cost savings are passed down to customer. And allows for neoprene mats instead of paper ones to be standard.

That's a good point about the neoprene mats, definitely the best thing in the starter box.

Offline Porthius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Assistant
    • Miniature Minds
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2022, 09:50:41 AM »
My conclusion is that as the product straddles that thin line between board game and tabletop mini game, concessions have to be made in the quality of the minis for the product to appeal to the board game market

I made the same conclusion when I went all in on this game. Being both a board gamer and miniature gamer Core Space really hit the sweet spot for me but I can see how some of the first lot of miniatures could disappoint. Saying that I was very pleasantly surprised when I had a look at the First Born miniatures in person. These seem to be crisper and have fewer mold lines etc.

I've had over half a dozen games now and have only noticed some slight fraying with the terrain.

Part of me wonders if these issues may be in the earlier editions/kickstarter edition as across the range an improvement is very clear.

Anyway I hope you guys enjoy the rules.

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2022, 11:43:38 AM »
I finally succumbed and managed to buy a starter set for the initial release fairly cheaply.. Has a quick look at the contents and am impressed by what you get.  I still have the "Space Hulk" set of scenery from Battlesystems that I have never used or assembled - hopefully I'll be able to mix and match with this game.

Now need to find the time to punch it all out and assemble it...
Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2022, 01:13:04 PM »
I have some of the older sci-fi stuff too. It mixes and matches alright.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2022, 03:19:35 PM »
very glad to see your post Porthius.

I was going to say again that there seem to be a fair few buyers/ players out there enjoying the game/s and doing ok with the components.

I still think the games are fantastic packages overall, and perhaps one has to take extra care with the terrain to get the best from it (in terms of handling etc)?
I've had no end of trouble with MDF, resin and hard-plastic kits in the past as well, as far as it goes (and those materials are an awful lot harder to bodge or sort-out ...)

If I'm ever to get into actually (!) playing the games, I hope I can get on with the terrain acceptably.
The modular nature of it, and the range of other terrain sets that can be integrated (I've got the 'Shanty Town' terrain set and some of the ships and other smaller expansion sets) are things I'm particularly looking forward to playing around with ...

In that context, o Grumpy one, I'd prob. have to disagree a bit re: Colin at Battle Systems.
I think he's a brilliant Game designer (in every sense - rules to components) but, tbh ... a bit of a liability in terms of video promotion / instruction.

For me, he's too gabble-y and casual - it's charming in its own way, and he comes across as a nice bloke, but they really need more 'professional'/ methodical videos as well at this point in time, if that's going to be their main (only?) approach to providing instruction for the terrain, as well as game-play tutorials etc.

On another point - the downloads they provide for the game are great.
e.g. For making your own character cards (and aliens / hostiles cards too), a layered graphic file is available allowing you to do all you need to create such in a program like photoshop.

There's also a drag n' drop layout simulator allowing you to plan out a custom terrain set-up.
Quite a few extra scenarios too.

So ... 'as is' there appears to be a huge amount of content, and there's just so much potential with the game too; particularly if you've got a gaming group, and someone willing to create campaigns and GM.

Be interesting to see how the new 'Fantasy' variant they'll be K'Starting this year pans out.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 10:09:35 AM by Bloggard »

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2024, 12:02:27 PM »
Finally got Core Space onto the table and played a game.

And loved it!

Quick write up here:

https://littlewars1913.blogspot.com/2024/02/core-space-finally.html

Mike

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2024, 12:31:37 PM »
I have their original sci-fi modular terrain - the one with the triangular bases that the new stuff doesn't match.  :?

Predates Core Space by a few years. Ever since the change in style I've stayed away from Battle Systems.

Despite it's age it works, but does need some TLC.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2024, 12:44:05 PM »
I have the original KS box of the triangular based terrain still unpunched if you wanted some more of it?  Not looking for much as I can't see me using it now.

Mike

Offline Infojunky

• Bookworm
  • Just another Brain in a Box
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2024, 01:52:59 AM »
Apparently I am late to the game. So far I like it.

Yeah, they went more “true scale” and 32mm instead of 28mm apparently. I did not realize that until listening to Colin (the Battle Systems bossman) talk about their figure size in relation to their upcoming fantasy game Kickstarter. I am more of a 28mm than 32mm guy and I like the chunky look of things like the North Star Stargrave minis but Mrs. GG convinced me that tall and lanky works for spacer humans.

I don't mind the figures, my question what works well with them.

Offline Infojunky

• Bookworm
  • Just another Brain in a Box
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2024, 11:35:06 PM »
Is the deluxe rule book worth it?

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2024, 07:53:05 AM »
Is the deluxe rule book worth it?

I love Core Space and have found it only gets better with each expansion. The extra material in the Deluxe Rulebook was definitely worth it to me but as always your mileage may vary.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2024, 09:45:33 AM »
Finally finished the painting for the Core set and the Purge Reinforcements.

Two more crews to paint and then I'm ready for a 4 player game.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2024, 11:09:20 AM »
Nicely done.

I will get to them... eventually... ::)

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2024, 08:35:12 PM »
How did you find them?

They're as fiddley as a catholic priest at choir practise no?