Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:42:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: VOID, Warzone, VOR the Maelstrom... Who's played them?  (Read 10113 times)

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
Re: VOID, Warzone, VOR the Maelstrom... Who's played them?
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2022, 11:56:41 PM »
Ngl, as a One page rules guy any of these lads gets double time. I just need to make their army list lol

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2022, 11:04:50 AM »
Thread has been created, let the retro madness begin!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=135393.0

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2022, 11:46:39 AM »
I am happy to see these games getting some love; and relieved you guys are doing it not me as I have far too many projects already  ::)

I lost virtually all my old game images a few years ago (storing them on a corrupt stick drive) but do still have this one. Vor Growler in classic Orange.  Image captured way back in the pre digital age when your only access to instant images was to put the figure on a flatbed scanner.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2022, 11:53:14 AM »
I am happy to see these games getting some love; and relieved you guys are doing it not me as I have far too many projects already  ::)

I lost virtually all my old game images a few years ago (storing them on a corrupt stick drive) but do still have this one. Vor Growler in classic Orange.  Image captured way back in the pre digital age when your only access to instant images was to put the figure on a flatbed scanner.

Looks marvellous, you (unlike Fasa) know how to paint orange.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2022, 01:43:24 PM »
 lol

The ones on the box art did look a bit "shiny" didn't they. Kind of like giant gummy bears.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2022, 02:26:29 PM »
Thread has been created, let the retro madness begin!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=135393.0
Good man - I'll be following with interest! ;)

Image captured way back in the pre digital age when your only access to instant images was to put the figure on a flatbed scanner.
Ah yes, I remember doing this too. Funnily enough, I was reminiscing about exactly this a couple of weeks back with a friend, as some models were just impossible to "scan" like that (even using a box)! :P

Anyway, it's a great old model, and the paintjob looks very good to me - I also prefer yours to the official version. I'm glad you still have some of the pictures around (I assume the models have moved on...?) :)

Pfft, you should just jump right in - the water's lovely! ;)  lol

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2022, 03:20:33 PM »
lol

The ones on the box art did look a bit "shiny" didn't they. Kind of like giant gummy bears.

Very much so, I'm surprised they didnt try to follow the box art.

Online manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2022, 04:10:17 PM »
 The box art painting is amazing.One of the things that drew me to the game.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2022, 04:46:34 PM »
"....I'm glad you still have some of the pictures around (I assume the models have moved on...?) :)

Yes long gone (Union, Zykhee and Growlers to ebay). All the VOID stayed with the school club it was supplied for.

, you should just jump right in - the water's lovely! ;)  lol
Thanks but I have enough with Cell's 1999 and Rackham's Hybrid/Nemesis to paddle in.

Online manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2022, 04:52:22 PM »
 Still got the Hybrid and Nemesis box sets.Another game i did not get around to play.Rackham had some great miniatures in its range.Still got some of them too and the magazine they did was one of the best.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2022, 09:26:30 PM »
Ugh, this thread has had me digging out my old Void stuff, so many sandrunners no idea what the plan was, and the paintjobs of what I did get done hasn't aged well over the past two decades. I don't need any more distractions from my BSC entry. Though I did find a Koralon hydra that I'd forgotten about, it's a tempting prospect for the weekend.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2022, 09:54:27 PM »
Yes it also had me.downloading and reading the rules for Void. A game I've always been aware of but never played- looks fun! I almost picked up a couple of starter sets from Scotia Grendel  ;)

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2022, 09:59:07 PM »
Yes it also had me.downloading and reading the rules for Void. A game I've always been aware of but never played- looks fun! I almost picked up a couple of starter sets from Scotia Grendel  ;)

It's coming back in a big way!

Offline Hoarfrost

• Schoolboy
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2022, 10:28:46 PM »
God, this thread takes me back...

Bought my first box of Viridian Marines to expand on my Trinity:Battleground armies (now how's that for an obscure 90s miniature game reference?) since I liked the clean, uncluttered style of the minis. A couple years later, and I'd been doing VOID tournaments, been a playtester for the fabled 4-in-1 sourcebook, wrote half of the Guxiss campaign and a shovelful of scenarios for Urban War... 8)

VOID's still dear to my heart, and any other year I get the silly idea of going back to the 4in1 files and fix balance once and for all...  o_o Still have untold amounts of bare lead (and plastic) for all the factions, plus some sizeable armies.

Re: the original post, as others have mentioned already the core rules for VOID were solid, if a little uninspired, and played fast. Presentation in the old "purple" rulebook was a bit sparse, with the VOID 1.1 rulebook (in the boxed set) being much nicer. Most armies I'd seen went for minimal-sized units to bank on a big number of activations - most squads were 3-4 grunts plus a special weapon and a sergeant. Template weapons were king, and were frequently maximised in army builds. 1000pts could well be done in about 90mins. Balance was a bit off - Syntha dominated among the human factions due to their high firepower, but Koralon were even worse due to the teleportation shenanigans they could pull off. VASA and Viridians were midfielders, with Junkers definitively being on the lower end of the power spectrum. The army books offered a nice variety of units, but the points values were off, meaning that some units were overpriced and rarely saw use outside of casual games. The 4in1 sourcebook was meant to adress points values and rebalance all the human factions, but - to the best of my recollection - never got finished.

(As an aside, there was a printed version of the German Translation of the Koralon forcebook - I still got a copy. Spiralbound, A5, full colour)

(As a further aside, @Torben: did we meet at the VOID tournament at ChopCon 2004/2005-ish? Long time no see!)

I dipped my toes into UWZ (since I was a big fan of Chronopia, Targets's Fantasy game, even going so far as to writing soppy eulogies). However, the guy I got into UWZ with immediately went for ultra-competitive Bauhaus Vulcan Battlesuit spam lists that I never found a counter against with my fluffy Capitol, so that went downhill fast (was a sore winner to boot, that guy...). Liked what Excelsior was going for with the rulebook, but man - presentation was a hot mess. Plus, it was full of snide remarks about the original Target crew - seems like there was a lot of bitterness in the Warzone fandom about Target's demise back then...  ::)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 11:12:03 PM by Hoarfrost »

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2022, 04:46:35 PM »
Just a heads up there is currently a flash sale on the warzone figures on the Prince August site. Finishes tomorrow!