Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:42:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690786
  • Total Topics: 118349
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: VOID, Warzone, VOR the Maelstrom... Who's played them?  (Read 10112 times)

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
Re: VOID, Warzone, VOR the Maelstrom... Who's played them?
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2022, 12:06:03 AM »
Just a heads up there is currently a flash sale on the warzone figures on the Prince August site. Finishes tomorrow!

Looks like they are running low on a lot of the range now.Not too much left unless you want to do skirmish games that is.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2022, 09:31:49 AM »
Just a heads up there is currently a flash sale on the warzone figures on the Prince August site. Finishes tomorrow!

Glad I'm focusing on Vor and Void!

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2022, 10:53:48 PM »
Whilst my thread is focusing on Vor, I recently picked up some Void minis and they're lovely!

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2022, 11:02:19 PM »
 They are very nice figures which look even better with some paint on them.Nice work on these.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2022, 12:43:02 AM »
Whilst my thread is focusing on Vor, I recently picked up some Void minis and they're lovely!

Nice! I take it these came painted, or am I wrong and these are your work? :)

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2022, 08:34:15 AM »
Nice! I take it these came painted, or am I wrong and these are your work? :)

My work, they were bought new from Seb Games

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2022, 10:16:57 AM »
Wow, that is fast work, well done!  :o

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2022, 11:49:53 AM »
Wow, that is fast work, well done!  :o

Thanks, the secret (as always) is contrast paints lol

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2022, 04:46:59 AM »
(As a further aside, @Torben: did we meet at the VOID tournament at ChopCon 2004/2005-ish? Long time no see!)

Good lord, yes we did! Long time no see indeed... especially since I didn't see your post here until now! :D

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2022, 09:40:21 AM »
I recently got hold of a cheap, near mint copy of Blood Berets and last night, we set it up and we played a game. In fact it was the first of the introductory campaign.

It was a rescue mission, where the Blood Berets had to infiltrate a cave system to find and free a Corporation VIP from the forces of the Dark Legion. The Berets had a field day, clearing out the undead legionaires piecemeal and they were closing in on the VIP when a Nefarite emerged, and basically tabled them in a matter of a couple of turns.

Victory (narrow as it was) to the Dark legion.

Was it a great game? Not particularly, but we used only basic rules, no equipment, and we might have done some things wrong, but I had a good time at least (the Voivod not as much; he played the Blood Berets :D ).

The mechanic where the terrain tiles were revealed as the Blood Berets moved along was pretty smart, as was the staging board, where I could move my blips around between board elements. The combat reminded us of Space Crusade and was fairly simple, even though it used a D20 system and reversible cards for each miniature to show their wounds and reduced stats when hit once.

There were a lot of extra tokens which we did not get to use, such as boobytraps, jams etc; like I said, we only used the basic rules.

I can understand Voivod's reluctance to play this game again, but I liked it for what it is. I can see me playing this with my daughter, as it is nice and simple and pretty much a product of its time (the nineties).

I reckon it was launched as Warzone's answer to 40K's Space Crusade; it has the same depth of play (possibly more, when all advanced rules are used), similarly sized playing field (roughly) and very familiar equipment cards. Also; it has cards for an entirely different set of miniatures not included in the box, so there is a definite expandibility and link with Warzone 'proper'.

The minis are exaggerated plastics with gloriously overdone nineties shoulderpads, but they should paint up nicely. I might use my newly acquired Speed Paints on these guys, just to see how they work; it's not a big project after all.

All in all, lsat night made me curious about playing an actual game of Warzone eventually... :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2022, 01:19:41 AM »
This is a great thread. I've got about 50 Junkers Legionaries, some sandrunners and a buggy painted up and at least as much unpainted.   Never actually played Void 1.1, but I just liked the Junkers faction allot.

Has anyone tried playing any of these old games with the Grimdark Future rules? My son and I are enjoying them with my old 40k figs. However, there's so many factions available that you can probably find an analogue for any unit in Void, Warzone, Vor, etc.  I think Junkers would be a good analogue for Orks.

If anyone is looking for Warzone 2nd edition or Resurrection, I think I've got rulebooks I'd be willing to part with.

Lastly, anyone ever play Shockforce (Warengine)? It was another contemporary of the games discussed here, and also aimed at platoon level play.  Still a favorite of mine as a ruleset even if the figures have been unavailable ever since Megaminis folded.  Fast play, easy to adapt, and still available on wargames Vault.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 03:29:35 PM by eilif »

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2022, 12:15:17 PM »
If anyone is interested the entire 18 book Mutant Chronicles RPG catalogue (all rules, all sourcebooks, all campaigns) is available in the DriveThru pdf sale for less than $5.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/186331/Mutant-Chronicles-PDF-Lovers-Definitive-Collection

Also on the Modiphius site but for a few $ more.