Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:48:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: VOID, Warzone, VOR the Maelstrom... Who's played them?  (Read 9828 times)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: VOID, Warzone, VOR the Maelstrom... Who's played them?
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2022, 10:31:03 AM »
Yeah, that Warzone book was insane...so thick and so much content. The layout isn't the best and a lot of graphics were low res, but still, great to own and to read it now and then. I also felt it went back to Mutant Chronicles original story and units after 2nd edition created and changing lots of crappy lore. It felt more like Mutant Chronicles, while Warzone 2nd felt more like a 40K clone to me.
Warzone Resurrection was okay as a game, but the style of art and miniatures never fully grabbed me. Too clean, sterile and modern for the dieselpunk genre. The upcoming Warzone Eternal (https://resnovagames.com/) sounds really promising and I can't wait for it to be released. It sounds like a great mix of oldskool looks, mixed with modern mechanics (designed by Bryan CP Steele, creator of the Dark Age game).
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2022, 11:13:46 AM »
Interesting comments on the editions of Warzone... I may be betraying myself a little here, but:

I did start trying to read a PDF of UWZ, and found it full of typos and confusing references/layouts. Even something like deployment of units (using cards...  :`) seems unnecessarily convoluted. I have also been unable to find a decent hardcopy of this in the UK, and the ones I've seen sold appear to have gone for some eye-watering sums!

WZ1 reminded me a lot of 40kRT, especially the huge number of universal upgrades that could be added to units and characters across all factions, and the detailed and idiosyncratic rules for vehicles. I got the distinct impression that, like RT, it was aimed at 2-3 squads of 4-5 models each, plus a couple of characters. So just above squad-level, but not at platoon level.

WZ2 seemed a lot like the later versions of 40k in terms of size and scope, and whilst I understand the sentiments that it deviated from its origins and tried harder to get some of the 40k market, I still found it appealing for being clearer and for having some better guidance on making themed forces for each faction. Ignoring the two add-on "Forces of..." books, I also appreciated having pretty complete army lists for every faction together in one place (something UWZ also did).

I have just managed find a cheap copy of the hardback Resurrection book, but reading through the PDF version I have already it seems like a decent game with plenty of unit variety. I am not entirely sold on the layout/presentation style (though that could be just the PDF), and I feel that you can just use whatever generation of miniatures you like with these rules - in fact, that's true of any edition of the rules I feel. Perhaps that's just as well too, since I wasn't enormously keen on the models Prodos made for the game - they just lacked something I can't quite put my finger on, and I found them quite expensive in general.

Of the WZ versions available, I'd say that WZ2 probably appeals to me the most as a game, and that if you have some forces for WZ2, then you can always also play some WZ1 as well if you fancy. In any case, if I were to collect some forces to try and play a game - any edition - then I would almost certainly be looking to use the old plastics they did for WZ2 and convert some readily-available figures to suit rather than trying to chase down all the original metals. Ditto the various vehicles and walkers - I would more likely kitbash these from model kits than try and get the originals. I'm sure that would upset some people, but for me there's not too much point in having armies I can't complete or add to, and I would also certainly be getting 3-4 factions to play with (since it's unlikely anybody will collect a force to play against me), which just makes it even harder.

Warzone Eternal sounds interesting, but (1) I already have some Dark Age, and (2) I see its planned to come out via KS...  :? I will definitely wait to see this at retail (if it gets there, of course), and see what it plays like when (if) people do any reviews. New models for WZ might be nice though!

Offline Seb

• Librarian
    • Seb Games
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2022, 12:45:31 PM »
I did play a lot of 2ed Warzone (and a bit of the 3rd, the Ultimate Warzone). It was an ace game. Still have unpainted minis :D The Prodos remake did not hit me attractive. I mean, the models were nice, but they lacked the original Warzone vibe for me. I like the heroic and comic style, and the Prodos remake was a bit too clean for me.

Warzone was kinda big in Poland back in the day. Probably due to price (it was easier and cheaper than, say, WFB or 40k, but also due to the fact it was officially translated to Polish.

Vor is a game I never played, but the art by Paul Bonner and minis looked pretty cool. The fluff also sounded interesting. If I'm not mistaken, the guy who did the original VOR was also attempting to reboot the game. It was a few years ago.

VOID, well, what I can say :D I'm really pleased with the fact I managed to acquire a license to develop and produce VOID. So my opinion can be a bit biased. But I like the fast rules and alternative actuation. Plus, the ascetic of the line is still very apeling. At least IMO.

Yes, VOID was produced by the same team as 2ed Warzone, hence the similarities. From my talk with the team, the early sculpts were intended to be used for a new version of Kryomek, but there were some problems in acquiring the rights to it.

Cheers,
Seb

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2022, 02:05:46 PM »
Hi Seb,

Thanks for stopping by the thread! :)

I agree with your sentiments on the original models for VOID, although as the forces books were published and new units were released, the quality of the sculpting did vary considerably more. I understand that there was actually quite a few models that either saw saw limited or no release, in some cases for new units whereas others were re-sculpts of existing units. It would be great to see some of these, and it might be worth canvassing interest on perhaps trying to get them released? I recently became aware of the existence of a whole range of Koralon models here for example, which were clearly intended to be released with the new book but sadly never made it to retail.

I also confess to very much liking the new Urban Mammoth sculpts for their VOID spin-off game Urban War. Not all the models are equally good, and you can see the evolution of different sculpts in that range too, but I generally liked the modern sculpting style. Not sure why VASA switched from Japanese/Anime-stylings to Soviet stylings, but there's not all that much to remove if you wanted to de-Sovietise them. I was also very taken with stonecoldlead's version of the Viridians on his blog (sadly, many images are now gone, but there was a big thread documenting his progress here on LAF too).

Given all the advantages of VOID being still in print (both models and books) as wall as being in the UK, this is a game/project I think I'd like to get into.

I received the VOR books from RPE this weekend, and spent a bit of time going through the army books in particular. I think they have some good ideas and a solid core in them, but it's also pretty clear that the range of models actually released was pretty small. It occurred to me that (1) the old Kryomek and Warzone 1/2 models would likely be a reasonable match to make up a fair few of the missing human units, (2) the reverse is probably also true - the Union and Neo-Sov would suit Warzone's stylings well in particular.

It remains to be seen whether or not this is a game I end up trying to play, but I would most likely proxy forces for it if I did. I am glad I got the books though (even if they do feel a bit cheap in physical quality), and the art in them all is great.

The Warzone Resurrection book also arrived this weekend, and I had a brief flick through it. It's okay, but like the miniatures, there's something that feels a little "off" about the presentation that I can't quite put my finger on. There's lots of units in the book, including quite a few new ones that I don't remember from WZ1/2/UWZ, but there's surprisingly little new art and photos of models. This is a shame, as I think anybody who is into tabletop wargames is clearly going to be interested seeing the units and models, and these also provide an excellent way to convey the game's setting.

I'm less sure now if I will make an effort to play WR, and might instead try and track down copies of the of WZ1 and WZ2 books instead.

After discussing these old games here with you all, I can see that several of you have updated your avatars here on LAF to images taken from artwork of the factions in these games, and so I would like to encourage everyone who has some old models for them to dig them out and start a thread with them here on LAF! Even if it's dusting off old models and photographing them, it'd be great to see them all. It would be nice to see Warzone, VOID and VOR all get some love and attention again (and perhaps get a few more discussions going)!  :D

Online eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2022, 07:05:12 PM »

I received the VOR books from RPE this weekend, and spent a bit of time going through the army books in particular. I think they have some good ideas and a solid core in them, but it's also pretty clear that the range of models actually released was pretty small. It occurred to me that (1) the old Kryomek and Warzone 1/2 models would likely be a reasonable match to make up a fair few of the missing human units, (2) the reverse is probably also true - the Union and Neo-Sov would suit Warzone's stylings well in particular.

It remains to be seen whether or not this is a game I end up trying to play, but I would most likely proxy forces for it if I did. I am glad I got the books though (even if they do feel a bit cheap in physical quality), and the art in them all is great.

VOR was a good game with solid rules and an interesting setting. I had hope when the author tried to revive it, but he was a bit too early for the crowdfunding craze. Plus, he refused to even try to update the model line which was dated, even then. As far as I know he hasn't been heard from in wargaming circles since.

There is a custom force builder in the main book. If I remember right custom forces did not quite stack up to official forces on the tabletop, but weren't that much worse off.

Also, the disappearance of VOR caused a fan ruleset based on it to come about. No Limits can still be found here. I never had a chance to play it but it was highly regarded. It was essentially an expanded version of the custom creation rules, and tweaks to the main rule set. There was a fantasy version created as well, called No Quarter, still available here.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2022, 11:02:56 PM »
I'm just waiting for Seb to drop the new rules before investing tbh.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2022, 12:00:09 AM »
We played a lot of VOR back in the days and had a pretty active gaming group. I love to play the original as well as the free version "No Limits" which is available as download and basically is the same rule set, along with the army builder options which never came out due to FASAs demise.

VOR was a good game with solid rules and an interesting setting. Also, the disappearance of VOR caused a fan ruleset based on it to come about. No Limits can still be found here. [/url].

Thank you both - No Limits has been downloaded, and I will look into them.

I also heard that Mike Neilsen tried to revive VOR via crowdfunding, and that the proposal (and the money apparently required up-front) meant it never went ahead. I didn't know about the plan to use the existing model range with the new ruleset, but the existing line seems fairly incomplete to me, and it's honestly a bit disappointing that RPE don't do any squad/starter/bundle deals.

@ jetengine:
Do you mean the squad-sized introduction game VOID Squad Tactics? Or do you mean a new revision of VOID? The former is simply the main game, but with reduced army composition requirements and tweaked morale for low/single model units as far I can tell, so that you can play games with some 10-15 models a side - in which case the current faction starters are pretty much good as they are (well, perhaps a couple of loose figs in addition, but still), and they come with the core rulebook (and tokens, templates, etc) that you will need for Squad Tactics.

If it's anything more that that, such as new revised edition... I fear that you might be waiting a while!  :?

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2022, 07:27:51 AM »
Thank you both - No Limits has been downloaded, and I will look into them.

I also heard that Mike Neilsen tried to revive VOR via crowdfunding, and that the proposal (and the money apparently required up-front) meant it never went ahead. I didn't know about the plan to use the existing model range with the new ruleset, but the existing line seems fairly incomplete to me, and it's honestly a bit disappointing that RPE don't do any squad/starter/bundle deals.

@ jetengine:
Do you mean the squad-sized introduction game VOID Squad Tactics? Or do you mean a new revision of VOID? The former is simply the main game, but with reduced army composition requirements and tweaked morale for low/single model units as far I can tell, so that you can play games with some 10-15 models a side - in which case the current faction starters are pretty much good as they are (well, perhaps a couple of loose figs in addition, but still), and they come with the core rulebook (and tokens, templates, etc) that you will need for Squad Tactics.

If it's anything more that that, such as new revised edition... I fear that you might be waiting a while!  :?

After chatting on FB I was under the impression the new Void starter set would be released this year with a new ruleset attatched.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2022, 07:53:06 AM »
@ jetengine:
Well, the announcement I linked to says you'll also need a copy of the main rules to play Squad Tactics, and the style of game you get with VOID rules using about a dozen minis per side has been somewhat established by Urban War already... So, if you want to get started (especially with a faction that's not Junkers or Viridia) in order to be ready for when the new set comes out, you may as well get stuck in now. I'm happy to be corrected if I misunderstood though! *shrug*

Online manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2022, 01:30:31 PM »
 Vor was one of the games i really liked the background to and the factions involved.

The miniatures range for it is sadly lacking in variety of troop types for each unit with a lot not released for the game.It would have been great to have seen Mike reach the funding level for the New Version but sadly it was not meant to be.

There were a few new pieces of art work done for it which were really nice.

There are also several books for the Vor setting with some really good stories in them.Worth tracking down if you are a fan of the setting.

Growlers were one of my main draws to the game then the Pharon.Still got all of the books and miniatures for it.Not many painted though.

Offline Seb

• Librarian
    • Seb Games
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2022, 02:20:58 PM »
Hi Seb,

Thanks for stopping by the thread! :)

Happy to be involved!

The Koralons were moved to the Urban War range, although not releasing them. As a matter of fact, we did manage to find the master mould at Scotia Grendel for them. So I'm sure Robbie will release them at some time in future. The Spider tank was released and is available from the webshop.

Regarding VOID future development.

At the moment, we have two introduction boxes planned.

1) VOID Squad Tactics - with just 5-10 minis per side. This boxed set will have minis and a booklet with Squad Tactics and Quick-Start Rules rules.
2) VOID – Endemion Incident - a new two-player starter set, with two squads per side + hero (all metal miniatures). And it will also include Quick-Start Rules, plus a few bits. It's still under development, but I should have more details soon :)

There are plans for bringing back a big game box with plastic miniatures. But it is quite a big word, and I believe we will need to have a full new edition of rules to go with it together. But I don't want to say too much, as it is too early to share details.

Currently, I'm working on Quick-Start rules and a new forcebook. It will be available for free as a PDF to download. The new forcebook will have an updated version of units profiles. We will start with all the units available in Starter Forces, plus some extras. Then work on the other units. Fill the gaps etc.  ​

Warzone, old love.

Yeah, I think I will maybe dig up some of my 2ed Warzone stuff and start painting it again. Perhaps I will also convince my friend to post some of his progress on his Warzone Imperial.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2022, 02:53:19 PM »
Endimon was what I'm thinking of. When that's released I'll buy un. For now I'm drowning in 28mm as is.

Online manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2022, 03:48:09 PM »
 I am sure that i have some of the last Koralon figures that were released.Just got to find them.

Great to hear things are moving with Void Seb.How many new sculpts do you have now?

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2022, 04:34:17 PM »
It would have been great to have seen Mike reach the funding level for the New Version but sadly it was not meant to be.
Agreed - I note the funding goal was set at $25,000 in January 2011, although I'm not sure if that's actually a lot or not to write, publish, and promote a new edition. Still, that was over 10 years ago, so perhaps it's time for a new attempt? Maybe he could collaborate with a digital sculptor to offer STLs for a new range of figures to download and print/print on license too? Seems like a possible way of updating the miniatures range without having to ship metal models internationally. I think it's hard to sell a game system without at least offering some miniatures in some form (even if it's just a handful for KS or whatever).

Regarding VOID future development.

At the moment, we have two introduction boxes planned.

1) VOID Squad Tactics - with just 5-10 minis per side. This boxed set will have minis and a booklet with Squad Tactics and Quick-Start Rules rules.
2) VOID – Endemion Incident - a new two-player starter set, with two squads per side + hero (all metal miniatures). And it will also include Quick-Start Rules, plus a few bits. It's still under development, but I should have more details soon :)

There are plans for bringing back a big game box with plastic miniatures. But it is quite a big word, and I believe we will need to have a full new edition of rules to go with it together. But I don't want to say too much, as it is too early to share details.

Currently, I'm working on Quick-Start rules and a new forcebook. It will be available for free as a PDF to download. The new forcebook will have an updated version of units profiles. We will start with all the units available in Starter Forces, plus some extras. Then work on the other units. Fill the gaps etc.
Thank you for the clarification! You know, I think this needs to be written up a little and posted on your website/blog so that people can have some idea about what's planned? Lots of curmudgeons like me avoid FB, so if it's not on your website then I/we probably don't/won't know about it. ;)

Warzone, old love.

Yeah, I think I will maybe dig up some of my 2ed Warzone stuff and start painting it again. Perhaps I will also convince my friend to post some of his progress on his Warzone Imperial.
Please do - it'd be great to see!  :D

For now I'm drowning in 28mm as is.
lol lol Fair enough, I'll let you off then!  ;)

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2022, 10:54:56 AM »
I bought this old Chronicles magazine from Ebay. Was pleasantly surprised what a quality product it is. Filled with great articles and some amazing drawings. If I had seen this in the 90s I would have been right in there.
Those Chronopia swamp Goblins are pretty cool.