Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:44:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689619
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy Terrain and Models  (Read 14511 times)

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
Re: Fantasy Terrain and Models
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2022, 04:56:51 AM »
Well, got a new kit and painted most of it...

Perry Medieval Cottage (and shed)

I like the kit, and I've still got the fences to work on, which require a base to stand up well (They won't stand on a mat or even the slightest shift in the ground where placed).

The chimney pot that's included for later periods is not done well and barely fits in place and leaves a lot of gaps around it, and there are some shallow or missing textures for the thatching which was a bit annoying to get looking right.

But I like the look and the size might be slightly small for the current project, but it still looks great and functions for it. Fortunately it's, also, not overly far off from the cottage that I'd scratch built, and, for a fantasy setting, looks like it can be in the same village.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2022, 02:02:13 AM »
When getting my existing parts of my dragon rampant forces out again, put those up a few months ago when getting carpets replaced, I discovered that I was missing one of my boxes...but got pics of the ones I had in the second box which was largely some characters, the cavalry, and a extra command set of Reapers Anhurians.

General, Caster, Captain, and Standard Bearer

Unfortunately, the shield of the General seems to have some imperfections that the camera picked up but can't be seen in person...it took me a long while to remove the horse head emblem that was originally there with filing and filling to make it look right. His sword also feels oversized, but I like the hilt and don't want to go back

That banner is one where I like the look, though it's a bit large

Elite Guard, Drummer, and Trumpeter

Outside of the basic troop choices, I think that I've painted more of that drummer than any other...mainly because I converted six of them that I got in trades to operate some of the deep cuts ballista (The small 2 pack ones with the skull on the front).

Cavalry and Wardog

All of the cavalry have a swapped hand from Fireforged's foot Sergeants kit, the banner and trumpet are from reapers metal conversion sets, and the spear on the captain is from Mantic's undead skeletons. The dog is another reaper mini, but one that I had to use in the project somehow, and the shield on his chest is painted with the same black with a white stripe as this army uses.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2022, 10:00:48 AM »
That's a great looking force that you have there.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2022, 03:13:22 AM »
That's a great looking force that you have there.
Thanks, I've really been liking the style of the Reaper Anhurians where they kind of work for the more lower fantasy while feelingboth very real in design while being that slight bit into the fantastic. The older Bones ones are, unfortunately, not as good as the metals, though the cavalry is great (though Bones Black)...it doesn't work if you want to use the lances they come with because those are a lost cause.

I keep having some younger family members showing up so painting time is reduced, but I got the fences done from the Perry kit.

Perry Fences

I like the fence sculpts, but I loathe how they're supposed to stand up. They require bases in order to stand up on anything but a perfectly flat surface without gluing them to it. They're, unfortunately, 5" rather than the 6" of the standard wider craft sticks so I needed to trim them down to work, which was difficult because they don't clip that way very cleanly...and it was hard to get them on straight because even plastic glue didn't work well for keeping the "foot" and fence in position while not wanting to be slotted in after gluing the foot to the base...then the sand and glue would shift them again anyway when texturing the bases.

But they were still rather easy, just annoying to put get positioned. They painted up very easily though.

I like the overgrown sections that I used for it, and I'm contemplating buying a second kit still.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2022, 05:11:45 AM »
Fairy House #1

Unfortunately, the colors didn't quite come out right in the pics. The flowers seem to have blown up the highlights over the rest (The pink flower is actually a darker red for example, and the walls are a mix of stippled browns).

This is one of three fairy garden houses Dollar Tree had a year or two ago, can't remember when I bought them, they have 2 styles, and I have a second one like this one and the other is a giant mushroom house. I'd attached them to plywood rounds as bases, then put them in a box and got distracted...hadn't thought of them until I was digging around for some superglue in my stuff and came back across them, and decided to use some sand on the wood to finish the basing, then repainted it.

One thing with the Dollar Tree stuff is that the sculpts are great, but the paint jobs they come with are not so good...but great for a repaint.

It doesn't fit that well with my other buildings, but I like the whimsy of the design.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2022, 01:23:29 PM »
That's a great little building - your paintwork has brought it to life. It would make for a welcome side-encounter in any D&D game.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2022, 04:34:53 AM »
Finished the other two houses I had gotten when I bought the first along with a few other things.

Fairy House #2

Same sculpt as the first, took a lot of steps to go with other colors that would keep it relatively realistic for that part while not taking away from it...and making it distinct enough from the first to make them require a second look to realize that they're "twins" when on the table.

Fairy House #3

This one pushed me into going into a fully whimsy for choices for it. The wizards hat shape of the roof inspired the blending for it, and I'm still considering getting some glow in the dark paint to go for the "warts" on the roof and overhangs, along with the undersides of the roof and overhangs, but I'm not as sure if I really want to do that. I do kind of see it as the home of a gnome wizard though...

Fairy Trees

These are more dollar tree fairy garden pieces that were repainted for use. They required a larger base due to being unstable on anything but a flat surface due to the shape and the taller base part with roots and grass over boulders...so I used the 3" Nolzur's bases that I had and added a slope up to blend them in as a more realistic look. They're great for scatter pieces on the table and are still flat enough for minis to stand around the trees. They also mix decently with my other trees while on the table.

The Nightwalker

This is one that I had to have, but was a pain in the rear to paint in a way that looked right. The artwork and descriptions of the creature go for a black form, and it's basically painting "black" in different ways that need to look different enough and highlight correctly to work with each other and still work as a black form that isn't just hit with a few layers of black paint, and the transparent "smoke" effect makes that job a LOT harder but refuses to let my camera get shots that work.

The thing is MASSIVE for the huge Nolzur's minis, it makes my Frost Giant look short and completely dwarfs the blue dragon...and, to be honest, the Nightwalker design looks more like it should be a fiend of some kind rather than undead...or perhaps an abberation...or something else considering they're shadowfell things, but it was fun to paint up.

Raft

Grabbed this because it was cheap, looked useful, and I had a couple bucks on a rewards card at the hobby store that was expiring. The sculpt is great, it's just a pain to figure out how to paint it because wet/dry is something it would need to have, and the sculpt seems like it will work great for other log construction pieces if needed.

Rowboat

This one I liked, though there are a few things I wish were different. I wish they had gone for a less worn down look without the boards as patches on the sides, and the basket of fish would have been better if it wasn't used with a plug that needed to be slotted in...there was also a pair of fish that were a single piece that i didn't include (saving for a later thing).

Offline Seal

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2022, 05:33:04 AM »
Lovely work. The Nightwalker is extra creepy.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2022, 03:32:20 AM »
Fantastic projects!  I’m going to have to steal some of your ideas.  :)

Dan
PS.  Now you need to build an underground terrain environment

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2022, 05:19:46 PM »
Fantastic projects!  I’m going to have to steal some of your ideas.  :)

Dan
PS.  Now you need to build an underground terrain environment

I've had a few ideas for an underground table...just not sure if I have the space for it.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2022, 02:43:19 AM »
Got a few more things painted...

Sphinx (Reaper Bones Female Sphinx)

I like the majority of the sculpt, only real issue is the lower face. The nose and to the lower lip kind of blend together, which prompted the cat nose bit. I'm considering using her in my Anhurian force, but not sure...she's also a rush job. I'd bought and got her primed with the base before getting distracted, and a friend knew I had the mini asked if he could borrow it for running White Plume Mountain which got me to pull her back out and get her done.

Garden Path (Dollar Tree)

A part of Dollar Tree's Fairy Garden stuff, it's not as useful as I'd thought when looking around the store, but it works decently as something to put on the shelf with the other stuff in an interesting diorama.

Fairy House #4 (Dollar Tree)

They had a new sculpt last time I was at the Dollar Tree, so I grabbed it and painted it. Unfortunately the flower roof doesn't work well for photos...it's got a pearlescent layer that seems to make a mess with lighting it and hiding any shadows there. I'm thinking that they're adding a sculpt a year to the line...

Outbuilding (Renedra)

It's tiny, but it's cheap. I really like the thatching on it, they're easier to paint up with drybrushes than the Perry Cottage's version. I do wish it was a little bit taller because bases make it seem even smaller, and it doesn't help that it's sculpted with a cloth/leather drape door rather than a nicer one. It works well as the outbuilding for the Perry Cottage though, which is what it'll be used for.

Unfortunately, I missed out on getting something I really wanted. The local store had a Hudson & Allen medieval keep that I really wanted, got stuck waiting for payday to fill my free cash...and someone bought it as I got there. I'll eventually order one when they're taking orders again, but I really wanted it.

I did put in an order for some palisades from Amazon that should be arriving soon. I'm also working on another house (Dollar Tree had some decorate frames that I'd grabbed that were sized and shaped right for the ends of a village house.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2022, 07:07:23 AM »
Lots to love in this thread. Some great repurposed and conversion pieces!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2022, 12:59:29 AM »
Lots to love in this thread. Some great repurposed and conversion pieces!

It's one of the things with Fantasy and SciFi terrain, it's very easy to find things that can, with a little work, function well in different worlds...the more you step away from the normal, the more that can fit in with some thought.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2022, 07:09:18 AM »
I do wish it was a little bit taller because bases make it seem even smaller,

Why not make a plinth for it?
use something (bit of wood, blue foam, foamboard etc) to get the height you want.
Decorate it as stone. e.g. Blue foam can be scribed with an old pen. You can stick
bits of card onto the wood, or some Greenstuff to cover the foamboard.
Lengthen the door hanging with Greenstuff or PVA soaked paper towel & you are
good to go.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2022, 03:11:56 AM »
It's more of something disappointing about the kit itself, I'm not going to bother messing with it more there when it works well enough.

Unfortunately, I'd ordered a palisade fort from EnderToys, the parts that showed up look good, but it's missing a good chunk of the wall pieces, so I'm stuck waiting on that one until I finish contacting them. If they fix the issue and send the missing ones, I might end up ordering another set to have a larger fortification...if not, well, I'll just return it and think about other options.

Well, it seems like they're sending the missing parts
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 09:58:21 PM by SotF »