Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:34:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy Terrain and Models  (Read 14358 times)

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
Re: Fantasy Terrain and Models
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2022, 05:16:32 AM »
Just a bit more things...

Deep Cuts Catapult

I've done two of these now, both ended up requiring the bases. The first due to some warping when it slipped off the table right after the paint dried, and the other inside the box. With both it was mainly due to just not wanting to sit flat, but the bases are rather nice there.

I'm looking for a crew for them that works with the Reaper Anhurians because they're making up the bulk of my current project.

Campfire

A cheap thing from a cowboy/frontier plastic set of toys based on a 2" nolzur's base with some sand before painting. I've got 5 or six of them for rpg other use.

Buddha Statue

A cheap dollar tree statue that I'd originally gotten for Ronin, but never got around to repainting until recently.

Elephant Statue and Koi Pond

A dollar tree incense burner that I worked as a statue and then worked it up from there...I kind of wish that I'd just painted it as an actual elephant because, while it might be out of scale, but would look great there.

Winter Wolf

Nolzur's Winter Wolf is interesting though a bit large for the actual creature size. I've used it as an alpha wolf with my dire wolves (GW Fenrisian Wolves) and the Old Glory Loup Garou for a Song of Blades and Heroes warband/pack because it amused me at the time.

I keep considering adding a second of the Loup Garou to the collection as I really don't want to strip/repaint/rebase the existing one to match it with the other wolves when I use it for SoBaH...

Ice Troll

Reaper Bones Ice Troll...a good sculpt that I've used with a few forces and led to trolls in the setting I've been working on.

Large Skeleton Warriors

Some cheap plastic skeletons from a toy store set...I've seen them since in a combined package with pirates. They work well for a large size creature in D&D.

Elementals

Most are the Deep Cuts medium Earth and Water elementals along with an old Mage Knight mini that I repainted when it's original base broke.

Dimetrodons

I'd painted these a long while back after the old Lost World Safari yahoo group had a contest for a postcard scenario thing. I cleaned them up from some dust and repainted the edge of the bases since I never got around to that originally...sculpts are cheap plastics from a very cheap set, but they painted up easily.

Dilophosaurus'

A couple cheap dilos from a sack of more rubbery dinosaur toys, they painted up quite easily and used the Jurassic Park look as a starting point with a lot of modifications due to the sculpt.

Generic Herding Dinosaurs

No idea what species these were supposed to represent, but they painted up easily as a more general herbivorous one in a full herd. They came in the same sack as the dilophosaurus'

Lion

A cheap, plastic lion that repainted well...couldn't resist basing it with something like pride rock.

Horses

Cheap plastic horses based on 2" wooden "coins", positioned so that there was room on one side where you could sit a rpg mini on a 1" base and move it around if needed. Did them because I was playing a Paladin there.

Cows

Cheap plastics based on the rest of the coins from when I did the horses.

Sheep Dog

Another cheap plastic, painted and based from the start in 3 hours while doing some other things because I needed it for a game that night.

Rhino

Another cheap plastic that I liked the sculpt of...unfortunately, I didn't have any putty at the time and nothing else worked to fill the gap at the neck...

Wild Boar

I'd actually found this mini abandoned in the parking lot at the local park, needed a game animal for an adventure so it got painted up there.

Great White Shark

(Insert Jaws theme here...)

This is a fun one that I needed to paint up when I first saw it. Only downside is that the heavier use of gloss made it difficult to get everything good for a pic.

Aiden Tidewater (Nolzur's Water Genasi Druid)

The actual character is a monk, but it was a perfect fit for the odd mix of surfer dude attitude and street fighter type skill set though the Four Elements Monk isn't as useful as I'd thought there.

Potion Vendor

Most of this character was done a while ago, but I needed a female healer/potion seller for something that I'm working on.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2022, 03:39:55 AM »
Just a few more things.

Monument Statue (Reaper: Gravestone of Protection)

I really like this sculpt, I'd originally gotten it to paint because it seemed like it was close enough to fit the looks of the Reaper Anhurians with some added detail. The shield was part of the main reason because it would work for using the same look as my troops there.

The design is tempting me to get another one, removing the base, filling the cracks in the statue and painting it as another character figure.

Menhir (Reaper Highland Familiar & Menhir set)

I liked the Menhir, not sure if I'm going to bother with the familiar for anything. The design is very interesting there for it.

Directional Sign

This came from a christmas village set from the dollar tree that was left over from the diorama I painted up. It needed a base there to keep it stable.

Still thinking about what to actually put on the sign, and looking for the detail pen that I'd bought for this sort of thing...recently replaced the carpets in the part of the house where I work in and am still going through the boxes...

Flocks of Sheep

I needed some animal flocks for a few scenarios in a game a while back, used the really cheap plastic ones from a farm set that were about the right size. They're poorly sculpted with flash and mold lines like crazy that I had to work out. I'd based them with some sand and primed about 3 years ago and used them a few times like that, found them and went for a quick paint job just to get them done since I was painting things and just wanted to do a few more.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2022, 06:50:28 AM »
Just one thing from Dollar Tree's Fairy Garden stuff that I rushed to finish just to have something painted after 2 weeks of allergy problems.

Timber Pile

As said, this was a push for just a quick win while also working on 4 more of the gates since they had them at the Dollar Tree which take a lot more time to get painted to match my current 2 finished ones. I liked this as a rather functional piece, I painted it to also fit in with my old "Truncated Trees" while also being generic enough to work with pretty much anything else. It also functions as a way between levels if I need it with the logs actually able to support a 1"/25mm base easily enough on most of the levels.

For the gates, the reason they take so long is the stonework is more of a start with a multicolor mess of a basecoat over the stonework, drybrush warm off white, ink wash/stain, drybrush when fully dry, repeat ink wash, drybrush cold off white, highlight drybrush of white...the inks just take forever to dry enough for the drybrush.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2022, 07:07:51 AM »
Nice 8) The timber pile looks suspiciously like stairs.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2022, 07:12:21 AM »
Nice 8) The timber pile looks suspiciously like stairs.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I grabbed it, wasn't sure if it would actually work until I'd gotten it home.

And it's good for cover/LoS breaking as scatter

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2022, 05:20:46 AM »
More Gates

Bought these the same time I got the timber pile, just took a lot more drying time for the stonework. They're painted the same as the ones I got last year

Offline Seal

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2022, 06:54:23 AM »
That is quite the collection. Hats off for the troll. :)

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2022, 03:14:10 AM »
As I needed a few more oozes for something I'm hoping to run soon, I made some and went through my older stuff to pull some things out for a bit more here.

Earth Genasi/Stone Golem

I'd gotten a few of the Marvel: Handful of Heroes packs a while back, while a lot of the minis are immediately recognizable, there are several that just need to be painted as something other than the hero/villain in order to work well for a monster or character. This one is of the Thing, the belt was shaved flat and I glued on a plastic gem before painting as a general stone look and avoided blues for the visible clothes.

Inquisitors/Witch Hunters

The left and right are from Reaper, not entirely sure who makes the middle one...got him a LONG while ago from a trade in bin at a shop. He's starting to show some wear now, but I don't use him enough to go for a repaint.

Black Oozes

These are, other than the bases, scratch made. Did the bases before anything else, then applied a few layers of hot glue blobs, when that cooled I went with a gloss black, a gloss grey highlight, a black ink wash, then a layer of high gloss polyeurethane over the top

Spiders

The small ones started from a packet of them from a halloween store from a few years ago, there's a little bit of fine sand glued on the back where there was a divot from manufacture. I've got a bunch more to make in the future if I need them.

The twins are from the Dollar Tree from their halloween decorations a few years back. The sculpt is horrible as it's a thin, cheap plastic covered in a glittery flocking that would normally shed everywhere, so I soaked them in a mix of thinned white glue and black ink, then went with a simple paint job because I needed the spiders. They'd be size huge and fit on a 3" base there.

The last one is from a toy sold at Dollar Tree, but I got it as part of a thing at a hobby store for a Halloween painting contest in 2019. The original toy is one of those with a goopy thing inside so you stick it to the wall and it rolls down. I removed the innards and underside and found a base it fit on rather well (3") and painted it up...won 2 awards and got enough store credit for a D&D book I wanted.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2022, 11:11:01 AM »
good job on the cheap and cheerful spiders - and like the re-purposed Benjamin.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2022, 02:25:21 AM »
good job on the cheap and cheerful spiders - and like the re-purposed Benjamin.

I've got a few others that were painted. One that I couldn't identify who it was, but looks like a helmeted wizard with the pose.

I've got two nightcrawlers painted as tieflings, a version of Doctor Doom that has mjolnir that painted up, oddly, as a pretty good paladin, an Iron Man for a warforged, several versions of hulk as goliaths or some ogres (smaller side ones) depending upon their pose.

The Handfull of Heroes have an inconsistent scale between figures though

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2022, 09:32:04 AM »
great idea for the oozes too - they've come out well.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2022, 04:35:45 PM »
great idea for the oozes too - they've come out well.
Just be very careful if you make some...with the first ones, there were several that had to be completely remade and I needed to keep my hand bandaged up due to the dog tripping me up at that point and one hand went into the still molten glue. That was not fun there

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2022, 10:58:46 AM »
crikey ... no ...

there's a LAF thread for mis-adventures like that actually, somewhere on the board ...

man's best friend eh? Hope you've healed ok from that.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2022, 12:35:08 PM »
crikey ... no ...

there's a LAF thread for mis-adventures like that actually, somewhere on the board ...

man's best friend eh? Hope you've healed ok from that.

It took a few weeks to heal up enough to paint at that point,

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2022, 03:04:53 PM »
 :o  well, glad you're over it now.