Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 11:24:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685087
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy Terrain and Models  (Read 14298 times)

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
Re: Fantasy Terrain and Models
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2022, 12:22:40 AM »
Just got the fort fully delivered, trying to decide if I actually want a second set because it's actually rather large as it is. There's parts that I'd like to expand (I kind of want to have a 2nd gate if nothing else).

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2022, 06:26:29 AM »
I got mine off e-bay & it had bits missing, so I
turned min into a low-relief 'frontage'.

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=119096.msg1731629#msg1731629.

I had to build a 'firing step' so that 28mm figures defending could look over the wall. lol
As I used Blue-Foam it was an easy matter to cut out steps.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2022, 11:16:04 AM »
I like the idea of the firing step, but I'm not sure if I want to do that since it would mean the curved pieces get stuck being a single direction.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2022, 01:25:45 AM »
Finally have a place to work on things again, had some family temporarily move in and they just left.

Fishtail Statues

Another Dollar Tree thing, using the tails from some mermaid dolls with a wooden plaque. The ferns are also from some larger fern fronds that they have in some decently sized packs.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2022, 05:36:08 AM »
Got a few cheap brush trees a long while back, not sure where, but I used a few as part of a christmas diorama for a gift, and did an ink wash, some paint and then flocking to make them work for normal evergreens with a few stands.

Evergreen Trees

Just a few pieces of scatter trees to place around, not very large trees, but I only had a relatively few of them for their size. The pack had 18 of them around the same size, with three different colorations, the white ones worked for the diorama I did and then 6 metallic ones that I had to cover in ink and paint before flocking, and the oddly dusted green ones that looked rather normal, but a bit of thinned paint over the white and flocking made them even better.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2022, 06:29:39 AM »
They look nice, & could be used in other scales too.
15mm Tanks would look great next to them, as would
10mm Dark Age infantry.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2023, 09:23:32 PM »
Animal Pen/Pasture/Stable

I wanted to try building the walls with actual stone. Worked well enough, but I'm not sure if I like the amount of work in building it in finding the right pieces that fit together for it. Not sure if I'll repeat it.

Made the stable roof removable for playability...

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2023, 03:05:17 AM »
Got some of Dollar Tree's fairy garden stuff painted up again.

Noble Women

I liked painting these, they're rather simple and easy to do. A slight bit heavier set, but they kind of fit as some wealthier biddies going about their business. Unfortunately, the males in the stuff are entirely garden gnomes in positions that tend to be not as useful and don't really fit very well.

Doctor's Office

It's just this years new house for the series, only one of the new ones they had when I stopped for it...there's a little bit of damage on the sign that's far to visible but only really because visible after priming and starting to paint it. Kind of disappointing as it's less generic than the prior ones.

Spirit Tree

I had to get this one, but, unfortunately, the female face one they make only had one left and it was badly broken inside the packaging in the shop so I'm hoping for a restock. I'm also not sure if this'll be more of just an odd tree or a creature/thing to have.

Mushroom Birdhouse

This came packed with the tree, and is more of a random scatter that I'm not as sure if I like or not, but it's now on the shelf with the rest of the set to look interesting.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2023, 07:25:41 AM »
Lots to love in this thread. Great work! 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2023, 03:28:38 AM »
Bee Hive

A dollar tree fairy garden piece on the 1" base from a Nolzur's mini. I have a few other hives to do the same with when I get around to it but wanted to try one out before going into the rest of them. Unfortunately, the bee on it was turned to the back in the packaging and made me wonder if I actually want to do the rest.

Festival Stage[/u]

Part of a set of things that I keep putting off but want to do for a while. The entire thing is scratch built, and it works well for things there. The main thing that inspired it is the Gathers from the Pern series which is something that stuck with me and a relatively recent re-read had more ideas there.

Librarian

She's a loose figure from a bin at a store that had them for various christmas village packs, I liked the look of someone carrying a book for things as a npc.

Dragon

Found a toy of the dragon from shrek and based/painted it.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2023, 08:36:52 AM »
All this stuff is great but that animal pen really is something special.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2023, 12:21:01 AM »
All this stuff is great but that animal pen really is something special.

There is something about building it with real rocks that makes it different from other things...and it also means that I have less of an issue for warping with the base due to being heavy enough to push the plywood for the base down with the rest of the basing.

It also turned out a whole lot better than my prior thing with it, I did a 3'x3' board using stones to try for a path that didn't come out very well there.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2023, 12:05:23 AM »
Quest Board

A scratch built thing that I had been considering making for years and just got around to. I'm looking for some generic fantasy posters and notices that I can print out for a future addition along with something like a stepstool or similar as a nod to halflings and similar smaller races

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2023, 03:56:18 PM »
I might have to go to dollar tree now, that spirit tree in particular would make for great terrain or marker for non mundane forests.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2023, 06:15:44 PM »
I might have to go to dollar tree now, that spirit tree in particular would make for great terrain or marker for non mundane forests.
A lot of their things are great, the only issue is that the paint job they tend to use is poor, but a repaint makes them awesome.