Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:38:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: End of the World Books  (Read 4052 times)

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
Re: End of the World Books
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 06:24:23 PM »
@Warrenss2 - if you think that is too religious, I guess you won't be interested in the Left Behind series of novels then?

I saw the movie and liked it, but have read none of the books. I'm not anti-religious or anything like that... I'm just a firm believer in "God helps those who try to help themselves." I think it would be counter-productive to fall to one's knees and pray for protection from the advancing zombie horde when God has given you two perfectly good legs.  :)

I wish I could find a copy of Malevil (http://www.amazon.com/Malevil-Robert-Merle/dp/2070374440) in the local used book exchange.

I remember someone writing about reading a new vampire book that's apocalyptic... wish I could remember the name of it!  >:(
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 06:26:36 PM by warrenss2 »
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 09:33:27 PM »
A classic in the genre: Day of the Triffids.

John Wyndham was a superb writer - The Kraken wakes is extremely cool also even if the Man isn't totally wiped out.

also check out John Christopher -
World in Winter and Death of Grass - no big alien baddies but very scary visions of a near future world brought to its knees by Ice Age or crop disease respectively.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 04:13:04 AM »
For a book report I read Bill McGuire's "A guide to the end of the world: everything you never wanted to know". It's non-fiction though, it's a collection of natural disasters waiting to happen, quite an entertaining read 8)

Ooo, I got that one somewhere in my collection.

The Stand by Stephen King also gets a vote from me.

The Dark Tower (1-7) by Stephen King are also somewhat apocalyptic mixed with pre-apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic (and probably my favorite series ever 8)).

I definitely recommend these too.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 12:00:57 PM »
For different perspectives about what happens when the 'balloon goes up' try Thomas N Scortia's 'Earthwreck' about US and Russians on their respective space stations coming to terms with the end of the world below them. Do they fight, give up or try to survive together?
Also David Graham's 'Down to a Sunless Sea' about a civilian airliner trying to escape and find a safe haven as the bombs go off.
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline FM

• Student
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 12:32:38 PM »
An old one:
On the beach, by Nevil Shute

The northern hemisphere is destroyed in a nuclear war, Australia is waiting for their inevitable demise, because of nucleair fall out slowly coming their way