Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:20:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dark Alliance Models Tacky After Primer  (Read 915 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Dark Alliance Models Tacky After Primer
« on: December 26, 2021, 05:11:35 AM »
I primed a bunch of Warriors of the Dead models from Dark Alliance and a plastic dragon from the Ravenloft board game. The dragons is very tacky hours later and the Dark Alliance models are slightly. I wonder if it’s only because they have less surface area they don’t feel as tacky to me as the dragon.

Anyone have a solution. I’m not sure these Dark Alliance models would hold up to a stripping. :/

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Dark Alliance Models Tacky After Primer
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 06:09:38 AM »
I too have primed figures that turned out tacky. I primed in black snd they dried tacky. I then dry brushed burnt umber over them. I then painted and dullcoated them. No issues.  Try dry brushing a colour similar to your primer and let it dry for 48 hours which I did and hopefully it works out for you as well.
Regards,
Hitman
😎
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 11:14:33 PM »
The Dark Alliance minis have quite a bendy quality to them, i.e. they've got an amount of plasticizer to soften up the plastic, which often has a strange reaction with spray paint. It's something many of us have had to contend with.

The same happened to me when painting a toy dinosaur for a project some years ago (and it's still sort of tacky today).

I abandoned that project,  but I understood thatbrushed on  paint mixed with PVA glue or Modpodge could eliminate the issue.

Weird thing is, I did another dino I bought together with it, and is was perfectly fine! Also, I painted some Dark Future minis this year, and they were fine too. Luck of the draw I suppose...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 11:45:38 PM »
I primed a bunch of Warriors of the Dead models from Dark Alliance and a plastic dragon from the Ravenloft board game. The dragons is very tacky hours later and the Dark Alliance models are slightly. I wonder if it’s only because they have less surface area they don’t feel as tacky to me as the dragon.

Anyone have a solution. I’m not sure these Dark Alliance models would hold up to a stripping. :/

You might end up needing a strip there, the Ravenloft dragon (And the other minis in the set and from other games in the line) tend to prime relatively well there.

Then again, I'd used one of the hardware store primers that are intended for plastic furniture.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 01:43:49 AM »
Thanks all.
Checking the models today, the dark alliance warriors seem ok. A very slight tack, but not bad. Nothing rubs off. They’ll probably be ok.
The dragon is still, oddly, very tacky and with fingerprints left behind and some paint rubs off in my fingers. It’ll have to be stripped.

Offline jeffreythancock

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 04:32:33 AM »
Good luck!  I've had to toss early Reaper Bones and Caesar fantasy after nothing could seal them and end the tackiness.  No more spray paints or enamels on the newer plastics for me.  Not even the spray paints intended for plastic worked for me.  Spray solvents all wreaked havoc.

Wash, dry thoroughly, and prime with brush on Liquitex acrylic gesso.  Varnish with brush on Liquitex acrylics.  No more sticky!

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 05:48:50 AM »
The Dark Alliance models came through fine. After painting and sealing they aren’t tacky at all. The dragon did get stripped, washed, and will be reprimed. Thanks for everyone’s input.