Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:51:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hereford 1938 VBCW Autumn Big Game 2021  (Read 6222 times)

Offline leadboy

• Librarian
Re: Hereford 1938 VBCW Autumn Big Game 2021
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2022, 10:22:16 AM »
For the latest news of Stokkie Joubert's incarceration at the hands of the Bishop of Ludlow, of course, see here:

http://hereford1938avbcwtng.blogspot.com/2021/09/another-visit-to-capital-county.html

The Anglicans, eschewing execution, torture and firing squads a la BUF and/or Communists, have
poor Stokkies on a "community rehabilitation programme" of marmalade making, tea pouring,
hymnals, constant prayer and sexual abstinence. It's not clear how long the poor chap can last out....

Ps. Of course, he's potentially available for a 'prisoner exchange' with the imprisoned Bishop
of Hereford, but we'll have to leave HMG to make up their mind about that. If they delay an
offer much longer, the once free roistering Stokkies might emerge a broken man....

Online Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2022, 04:26:27 PM »
For the latest news of Stokkie Joubert's incarceration at the hands of the Bishop of Ludlow, of course, see here:

http://hereford1938avbcwtng.blogspot.com/2021/09/another-visit-to-capital-county.html

……. and sexual abstinence. It's not clear how long the poor chap can last out....

I trust they at least left him his favourite ewe?

Doug

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2022, 05:48:32 PM »
And the Spring Big Game 2022 is on for 26th March....

http://hereford1938avbcwtng.blogspot.com/

Look forward to seeing the Platoon in action!

Thanks for the ‘heads up’ :-) I’ll check the work schedule and make sure I’m free. Any recommendations on accommodation? I’ll be travelling from Durham, so expect to stay over Fri & Sat night.

Offline leadboy

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2022, 08:54:10 AM »
Hi Moriarty,

Well, lots of accommodation. The best hotel IMHO is the Castle House Hotel, where, of course, Reichsmarschall Goering spent his time during 1938. Alternatively, you can go to the other end of the scale and do the Travelodge in Pomona Place (site of the famous cider works in 1938). Or there's the traditional and reasonably priced Green Dragon in Broad Street (the site of an attempted murder of the imprisoned Bishop of Hereford in 1938 by a deranged Lord de Braose, Lord of the Marches and Governor of the City). Lots of choices if you book reasonably in advance!

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2022, 06:59:01 AM »
Hi, thanks for that! Looks like it’s a go, so I’ll be making arrangements next week :-) Can I take it there will be no mad, alcohol-fuelled wargamers raising hell in the Green Dragon on Friday night, at least?

Offline leadboy

• Librarian
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2022, 10:46:21 AM »
Well done that man. None on the Friday night, at least, but we could give it a go on the Saturday night after the Big Game? It's the campaign's 10th Anniversary, after all, so we're overdue an evening. PS. The Green Dragon is the traditional "County Hotel" type, so hell raising opportunities are somewhat foreign to its ethos! We should take detailed arrangements to PMs, for you'll need to be picked up from the Green Dragon on Saturday morning to get to Burley Gate Village Hall!

Online Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2022, 10:46:09 PM »
……….. for you'll need to be picked up from the Green Dragon on Saturday morning to get to Burley Gate Village Hall!
Oh no - not another innocent destined to be whisked off to a hellish fate :o

Doug

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2022, 08:27:51 AM »
Innocent . . .well, more ‘not caught, yet’ :-)

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2022, 11:39:48 PM »
I have been watching this thread with interest and although I have never played or painted anything remotely VBCW I am very much an admirer of the spirit in which you chaps and chapesses approach the subject.

Sadly I cannot make the looming Herefordshire show down (and have no suitable troops to deploy even if I could) but I did wonder whether I could be so bold as to offer a small contribution. Moriarty's cultists and associated villagers, while undoubtedly capable of fighting with the fanatical strength possessed by those who know that they alone know the true secrets of some ineffable mystical thingy, do seem to be lacking somewhat in terms of armoured support.

S.H.O.D.D.Y. (a company that, lest we forget, was forged in the fires of 1938) is ever on the look out for gaps in the market (and for something to do with its warehouses full of slightly used tank hulls resulting from their short-lived "full refund if your tank's turret is blown clean off within the first 5 minutes of battle" marketing ploy) and has turned its attention to the oft-neglected cultist segment.

I present to you the SHODDY Cultist variant, officially designated the "Circle (Ritual, for the use of) Armoured Platform". This is designed to allow worshippers of dark and possibly tentacled entities to carry out their complex and unpleasant ceremonies right in the heart of the fast moving 1930s battlefield.

Compared to the base model SHODDY, the SHODDY C(R)AP boasts improved reliability (if/when it breaks down you can summon a demon to pull it along), enhanced engine deck protection afforded by the rear mounted summoning circle (just be careful lighting those torches given the fumes from the petrol tanks below) and whatever it loses in terms of firepower by not having a main gun, is surely more than made up for by the ability to call upon the power of the true God(s)/Goddess(es)/Evil Spirit(s)/Dark Lord/Old One(s) etc (delete as appropriate).

The Tank Commander/High Priest is magnetised so he can face the front to preach to the unenlightened or swivel towards the rear to orchestrate a sinister rite.

If all else fails it does have a bow mounted Bren gun.

Once it is painted I will post it to you Moriarty (do your guys have an insignia or logo?). I hope you like it but of course there is no pressure for you to actually use it in the game. 

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2022, 07:16:00 AM »
Love it👏👏

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2022, 09:45:59 PM »
I dug out my VBCW stuff today (yes, I’m still alive), and am looking forward to the big day! (Viruses and the like notwithstanding).

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2022, 07:03:47 AM »
I have been watching this thread with interest and although I have never played or painted anything remotely VBCW I am very much an admirer of the spirit in which you chaps and chapesses approach the subject.

Sadly I cannot make the looming Herefordshire show down (and have no suitable troops to deploy even if I could) but I did wonder whether I could be so bold as to offer a small contribution. Moriarty's cultists and associated villagers, while undoubtedly capable of fighting with the fanatical strength possessed by those who know that they alone know the true secrets of some ineffable mystical thingy, do seem to be lacking somewhat in terms of armoured support.

S.H.O.D.D.Y. (a company that, lest we forget, was forged in the fires of 1938) is ever on the look out for gaps in the market (and for something to do with its warehouses full of slightly used tank hulls resulting from their short-lived "full refund if your tank's turret is blown clean off within the first 5 minutes of battle" marketing ploy) and has turned its attention to the oft-neglected cultist segment.

I present to you the SHODDY Cultist variant, officially designated the "Circle (Ritual, for the use of) Armoured Platform". This is designed to allow worshippers of dark and possibly tentacled entities to carry out their complex and unpleasant ceremonies right in the heart of the fast moving 1930s battlefield.

Compared to the base model SHODDY, the SHODDY C(R)AP boasts improved reliability (if/when it breaks down you can summon a demon to pull it along), enhanced engine deck protection afforded by the rear mounted summoning circle (just be careful lighting those torches given the fumes from the petrol tanks below) and whatever it loses in terms of firepower by not having a main gun, is surely more than made up for by the ability to call upon the power of the true God(s)/Goddess(es)/Evil Spirit(s)/Dark Lord/Old One(s) etc (delete as appropriate).

The Tank Commander/High Priest is magnetised so he can face the front to preach to the unenlightened or swivel towards the rear to orchestrate a sinister rite.

If all else fails it does have a bow mounted Bren gun.

Once it is painted I will post it to you Moriarty (do your guys have an insignia or logo?). I hope you like it but of course there is no pressure for you to actually use it in the game.

Hi Bearwoodman,

You are too kind, Sir! That looks exactly the sort of thing that any self-respecting New Messiah of the Old Ways would have in the ‘back barn’! His Lordship’s pride would swell to bursting (have to do something about that) to see such a fine Tabernacle Of Terror on the field of battle, if only to get it out of the way to store the harvest.

No specific icon required - you already have a Chthulu-esque effigy on the front plate, which will fit in splendidly with the be-tentacled, squatting effigy I have in mind for the summoning circle.

Could I impose upon you to send ‘as is’, due to the game date being 26 March, and I would need to paint it before travelling down to Hereford on the Friday previous? Happy to pay for ‘next day’ delivery or similar.

Cheers,

M

Offline leadboy

• Librarian
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2022, 10:50:51 AM »
Bearwoodman!

Very good to see you back directing the commercial ventures of SHODDY, travelling back in time from the far distant future to the land in which there truly is only chaos, i.e. Herefordshire 1938! You set the Umpires a distinct challenge to make up fun new rules (i.e. deploy another back of an envelope) for your Armoured Cultist Mobile ("ACM").....

If you can, you must make it to one of our Big Games sometime, even if you can't make next Saturday - we have plenty of spare armies so you wouldn't need to worry about that. Just bring along a SHODDY section of ACMs....I suspect Moriarty's arrival will set a new trend "in County" for all sorts of strange country house cults and dark "country things".

Admiration as ever for your modelling skills!

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2022, 09:44:58 PM »
Leadboy:  I am suitably honoured to receive such a invitation and will do my best to attend a Big Game at some point in the future, work and family commitments permitting. In the meantime I will have to make do with enjoying the reports of the action from afar.

Moriarty: I can confirm that the vehicle has now emerged from the workshop and is on its way to you.  I realise that the day of reckoning is almost upon us leaving you with very little time to prepare it for battle and therefore I took the liberty of applying a basic paint job to the tank before dispatching it. I have left off any unit insignia, squadron markings or serial numbers etc so you could add these if required but I did have a go at painting markings on the circle itself.  I hope it is not the wrong kind of eldritch symbol!

I have tried to paint it in a fairly subdued colour scheme as befits a mid 20th Century European battlefield.  Its billet in His Lordship's "back barn" must have spared it from the worst effects of the weather, but the paintwork has clearly seen better days.  As for what the mice have done to the electrics... well, when H-Hour arrives and the order comes to move off from the start line you will find out!

The Tank Commander is wearing a very strange mask. 

It is definitely a mask, isn't it?   
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 10:05:19 PM by Bearwoodman »

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2022, 04:53:47 PM »
Hi Bearwoodman,

Oh -yes-, that’s  -definitely- a mask . . .

The AWV (armoured worship vehicle) looks just the ticket! Thank you very much! I especially like the ‘pendant’ side plate - obviously a design feature as ‘sacrificial’ armour to absorb any incoming fire :-) Typical S.H.O.D.D.Y. innovation (although I may have to add a protruding tentacle).

Don’t worry about the Arcane Inscriptions, I won’t change a thing!

I’ll let you know when it arrives, so Message me your PayPal details and I’ll pay the postage.