Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:40:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686665
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lost Egg's 2022 Plog - Classic HeroQuest & more...ish  (Read 4089 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: Lost Egg's 2022 Plog - HeroQuest & more...ish
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2022, 07:45:05 PM »
And the new board is done...

I'm pretty pleased with how its turned out and I'm glad I went for simpler tiles than I did with my previous board. I've yet to play a game on it but hopefully soon. In the mean time I've got to finish tweaking my Blank Quest pdf etc to allow for the new board and then it's back to the ratmen!
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Lost Egg's 2022 Plog - HeroQuest & more...ish
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2022, 10:54:45 PM »
Nice progress Eggy!  :D

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: Lost Egg's 2022 Plog - Classic HeroQuest & more...ish
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2022, 08:26:02 PM »
Thanks Bravo...here's a bit more, behold some vile ratmen!

I thought I'd go with a dirty grimy look with these classic plastic minis. I've got more to come though next time it'll be some old school metal...

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2022, 01:12:16 PM »
They're looking great.

But aren't they a bit... advanced for this project? ;)

I'm thinking of painting the minis that came with a lot of my old GW boxed games. There's quite a few of them, so I was thinking of buying into Speed or Contrast paints for that. Did you use any of those here?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2022, 07:13:34 PM »
Thanks Daeothar  8)

I see what you did there  lol

Nope, never used either of them. I prefer to take my time with painting so would rather have fewer minis than try to seed things up...maybe that's why it's taking me an age to get these done and why I already have a backlog of project ideas  o_o

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2022, 08:58:00 PM »
Behold another update, I'm on a roll...

A couple of classic rat ogres and some slightly not-so-classic giant rats. I'm pretty happy with these guys though I may have got a wee bit carried away with the gore on the fists of one rat ogre. I also managed to make a small start on the last two skaven for my HeroQuest project (at least for now) so 2022 is really starting to shape up into a productive year for me  8)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2022, 07:49:21 AM »
Here be the last of me Skaven...

I thought I'd go lighter with their robes so that the leaders stand out a touch more from the rest. The White Seer is blind so I gave him milky eyes. There's no rules for the Champion in HQ but I've cobbled something together...though I haven't added anything for the poisoned globes...hmm...

And a group shot of them all...

Some lovely classic sculpts here.

Next up will be some Undead for HeroQuest but first a short intermission.

I've been playing with some ideas for simple ruins and have done a mock up. I've also been toying with a kind of setting agnostic* ruleset for small scale action over a 2ft board so I'd like to make around half a dozen ruins to fight over. I've also started putting together some classic 2nd Ed 40k starter set minis and some fantasy plastics for playtesting but no pics of them just yet.

*I wanted a set that handles both sci-fi and fantasy as well as sci-fi vs. fantasy with around a dozen or two minis per side.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 09:14:04 PM by Lost Egg »

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2022, 09:25:03 PM »
About a month and a half later and the ruins are done.

The ruins were knocked together fairly quickly from 6mm foam with 1mm plasticard for the base. The classic spiky trees, that I've knicknamed Bub-Bubs, are foam balls with cocktail sticks and are great for blocking lines of sight. There's a smattering of references in there too just for kicks.

The board I've popped them on is 2x2ft and as you can see the terrain is pretty dense. When it comes to the painting I wanted to go with something a bit cleaner than you normally see and I think they work well.

Next up will be some Undead for HeroQuest with some classic plastic minis and some of the new Oathmark undead too...

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2022, 03:49:50 PM »
Great work and results!

I've been on a bit of a Rogue Trader spree of late, and those spiky plants are on my short-list to make, as period appropriate terrain pieces.  :)

Top notch work on yours!  8)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2022, 04:34:44 PM »
Cheers Daeothar! Make sure you share them when you do.  8)

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2022, 06:56:26 AM »
Lovely looking terrain setup, and I love the Rogue Trader cacti! :D

What did you use to texture the ruins?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2022, 06:58:44 AM »
Love the spikey trees, take me back to flicking through old white dwarf mags as a kid.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2022, 02:54:05 PM »
Lovely looking terrain setup, and I love the Rogue Trader cacti! :D

What did you use to texture the ruins?

Thanks Ragsta. All I used on the walls was some home made modge-podge: mixing flour, water, PVA and paint in equal measure then adding a bit of salt too. The bases are a mix of sand and fish tank pebbles then once painted I sprinkled on some tea (from Tetley tea bags) and static grass etc.

Love the spikey trees, take me back to flicking through old white dwarf mags as a kid.

Cheers, I know what you mean mate. I've been meaning to make some for ages and though I was only going to make some ruins I thought I might as well have one popping up inside a building...then added a few extras too. I've still got some foam balls left so I'm sure I will be making some more at some point.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2022, 08:30:59 PM »
Took a little longer than I hoped but I finished my HeroQuest Undead. The Witch Lord, Mummies & Zombies are obviously original HQ plastics but the skellies are from Oathmark but I think they work fit well together..

I really like the Bronze Age European style of the Oathmark minis. I also tried to do something a little different with the Witch Lord and avoided using any obvious eeevvviiilll colours so chose with white instead; to contrast against the white I decided to add some gore but I think I might have got carried away...just a touch...

That now leaves me with just one more faction to complete before the SummerQuest with my kids...well that and actually making all the maps etc  lol though I do have a load of notes so it shouldn't take too long...hopefully...

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2022, 08:26:28 AM »
Just managed to get these guys & gals finished in time for the 2nd quest of the summer. These are all classic Warhammer Fantasy Dark Elf sculpts; a little heavy on the detail in some places but nice all the same...gotta love the BIG HAIR

I converted the Cold Ones as these were originally mounts; I just chopped off the seats and sculpted a fur over the top. The rare chariot steeds would have been nice to use but damn they are expensive so I went with these instead.