Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:47:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Contrast paint German paratroopers  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
Contrast paint German paratroopers
« on: December 31, 2021, 01:29:28 PM »
Working on some bolt action and black tree paras using contrast paints.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Re: Contrast paint German paratroopers
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 10:47:53 PM »
Very nice!  Personally, I haven't tried the contrast paints yet (too much "regular" paint in the semi-ready rack...), but these sure look good...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Frostie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 05:51:43 AM »
Nice, what colour did you use for the smocks

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 08:01:11 AM »
Very nice!  Personally, I haven't tried the contrast paints yet (too much "regular" paint in the semi-ready rack...), but these sure look good...

Likewise.  :)

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 12:13:25 PM »
Nice, what colour did you use for the smocks

Thanks, for the smocks I used 2 parts apocothery white and 1 part militarium green. I find contrast paints mix very well due to their liquid nature and you can come up with loads of variations.

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 05:40:53 PM »
They have come out well - good idea on mixing the contrast paints - will have to give that a go (along with getting a few more colours).

Can I ask about the weapons (which seem late war) and the uniforms (which I think are mainly early war) - I thought that from mid war onwards camouflage smocks were standard - but it may well have been by late war that plain ones were being issued again (or I may be mis-remembering).

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 11:46:47 PM »
They have come out well - good idea on mixing the contrast paints - will have to give that a go (along with getting a few more colours).

Can I ask about the weapons (which seem late war) and the uniforms (which I think are mainly early war) - I thought that from mid war onwards camouflage smocks were standard - but it may well have been by late war that plain ones were being issued again (or I may be mis-remembering).

Good eye! They are black tree and bolt action and come with a mix of both late and early war weapons. I decided to use the early war colors on the smocks as I don't have the skills necessary to paint the camo patterns convincingly. Besides I do think the early war uniforms look smarter.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 12:16:22 AM »
The FJ’s trousers were actually field grey. Not as dramatic a contrast admittedly but that was the colour they were.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 02:41:46 AM »
Yeah I'm not really a sticker for historical accuracy. I'm more interested in something that looks cool. I tried a few with the field grey trousers but decided on the Luftwaffe blue/gray color instead. I think it works better with the green smocks.

Offline ColonelMutumbu

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2022, 09:28:45 PM »
Contrast is brilliant for ww2 I have found. I actually painted my Fallschirmjager recently in a mix of camo and early war uniforms and both have come out looking pretty good. You don't really need a justification for it but if you do; the argument I make is that its probably more realistic. It's documented that units many units suffered supply issues. Lots of people don't consider that supplying an army is really hard, during a war its doubly hard and doubly hard again when you are losing a war. I imagine plenty of spare uniforms sitting in the regimental depot got handed out to replacement soldiers when they were hurried to the front along with whatever weapons they had to hand
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 09:51:27 PM by ColonelMutumbu »
lead count 2022: bought 227 painted :227
score: 0

Offline Rick F

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 08:03:30 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it, there's lots of photos of plain green smocks being used right up to the end of the war.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2022, 01:09:54 PM »
Great looking figures! I love the way you used the contrast paints. I'm not fond of contrast paint in jewel tones like the red, white, blue and green of AWI or Napoleonics, but for WWII they work superbly!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2022, 07:11:23 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it, there's lots of photos of plain green smocks being used right up to the end of the war.

That’s good to know - I’ve got some 10mm I have been putting off, these will make them quicker!

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2022, 05:15:43 AM »
Contrast is brilliant for ww2 I have found. I actually painted my Fallschirmjager recently in a mix of camo and early war uniforms and both have come out looking pretty good. You don't really need a justification for it but if you do; the argument I make is that its probably more realistic. It's documented that units many units suffered supply issues. Lots of people don't consider that supplying an army is really hard, during a war its doubly hard and doubly hard again when you are losing a war. I imagine plenty of spare uniforms sitting in the regimental depot got handed out to replacement soldiers when they were hurried to the front along with whatever weapons they had to hand

I’d love to see your paratroopers anyway you can throw up some pictures? Always get great ideas from watching what other people have done.

Offline Vis Bellica

• Scientist
    • Vis Lardica
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2022, 02:10:22 PM »
Can I ask what the mix was you used on the trousers please.

I use Contrast all the time, and mix them regularly, but haven't tried them for WW2 yet. I have a few Gebirgsjaeger to paint.