Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:20:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689662
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dragon Rampant in 1:72 (Clan of Cyclopes)  (Read 8394 times)

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Re: Dragon Rampant in 1:72 (Clan of Cyclopes)
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2022, 04:46:38 PM »
They look really good. I have some of the Dark Alliance trolls, which are excellent. I have been wondering about the Cyclops, but looking at your pictures I'll probably give in and get some.

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2022, 08:53:51 PM »
Those giants look fantastic  :-* :-* :-*.
My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2022, 01:41:13 PM »
Thanks!

Been busy lately so haven't had a chance to paint lately, but I have started putting the next warband on bases. I hope to start putting paint to them soon. In the meantime, I've been buying what Dark Alliance fantasy models I can. The tragedy in Ukraine will likely make these wonderful boxes hard to come by in the future. I hope the owners and sculptors of these companies are doing ok...

Offline Seal

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2022, 05:36:44 AM »
Your paint work is wonderful. :)

Offline Mardigan

• Student
    • Brush and Battle
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2022, 06:21:00 AM »
Really great! I love the idea of the Cyclopes being a “minimalist” warband. To think you could bring your whole band to battle in a cigar box! That’s right up my alley, I’m always looking for ways to trim down my footprint. As for the rules, how are Dragon Rampant? Is 24 points a “fieldable force”?

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2022, 05:10:53 PM »
24 points seems to be the default warband size in all these Rampant games.
Though I have all the books, and have begun painting up sides... I've yet to play a game! That'll change as I have games scheduled the first weekend in June.
I expect the games to be a fun time. I like the rule as I read them and all the feedback seems great and right up my alley.

Offline MysteryMachine

• Bookworm
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2022, 10:15:40 PM »
Hi Jack. I've been really inspired by your posts, and those of Hobgoblin, re 1:72 fantasy miniature gaming, and have started a collection based on this scale. I've managed to pick up Caesar and Dark Alliance sets, and various metal figures from the likes of Splintered Light, Elhiem and CP Miniatures.

One company which I have not seen mentioned much in relation to fantasy miniatures at this scale is Battle Valor (a US manufacturer, but with a UK distributor, which is where I obtained my figures. The Battle Valor Orcians (orcs) and Scalians (lizardmen) work really well with the proportions of 1:72 goblinoids from Dark Alliance. They are supposed to be 15mm scale, so the legs are a bit short, but otherwise the proportions (e.g. head/weapon size) work much better with 20mm/1:72, and I have tried to fix the height issue by attaching them to (1 penny) bases with a blob of green stuff, rather than super glue.

Battle Valor offer 'warbands' with a good mix of figures (my 'orcians' came with some wolf riders and a couple of ogres) for a very reasonable price, and the sculpts are robust and characterful (if not the most sophisticated I've ever seen) - I think they will paint up very well. I am very happy with the Orcian and Scalian warbands that I picked up for the price.

Anyway, I thought I would mention it as another potential option for figures at this scale, which can be challenging to find. I think this is a great shame, as I love the scale - it is cheaper than 28mm, while often (but not always!) the proportions of the sculpts are better than either 15mm or 28mm. I also think that my 1:72 / 20mm fantasy minis are going to work better with 1 inch square D&D-style battle mats (e.g. the Loke books) than 28 mm figures would.

Thanks again to you (and Hobgoblin) for your inspiring miniatures, and please keep posting them - I'd love to see more.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2022, 12:03:42 AM »
One company which I have not seen mentioned much in relation to fantasy miniatures at this scale is Battle Valor (a US manufacturer, but with a UK distributor, which is where I obtained my figures. The Battle Valor Orcians (orcs) and Scalians (lizardmen) work really well with the proportions of 1:72 goblinoids from Dark Alliance. They are supposed to be 15mm scale, so the legs are a bit short, but otherwise the proportions (e.g. head/weapon size) work much better with 20mm/1:72, and I have tried to fix the height issue by attaching them to (1 penny) bases with a blob of green stuff, rather than super glue.

Great call! Last year, I picked up a whole load of the 'Orcians' to form a 1/72 Isengard army for HOTT. To my eye, they're perfect for Tolkien's Uruks - significantly smaller than Men but squat and broad. And the short legs fit right in in that context. Also, the wolves are a good size - bigger than the 1:72 hyena-things!

Offline 102-year-old-man

• Bookworm
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2022, 04:52:42 PM »
oh, nice information. I didn't know that and will take a deep look  8)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2022, 09:08:57 PM »
Really great! I love the idea of the Cyclopes being a “minimalist” warband. To think you could bring your whole band to battle in a cigar box! That’s right up my alley, I’m always looking for ways to trim down my footprint. As for the rules, how are Dragon Rampant? Is 24 points a “fieldable force”?

I played 4 games of DR in a day last weekend, and the ruleset is everything I've ever wanted in a fantasy battle game. It plays as smooth as it reads. We had little to now rules referencing. Really, only using the rules to generate leader traits and scenario set up. It helped that we had the units and their abilities written on cards. It probably also helped that my opponent and I are old BloodBowl coaches so this sort of 'risk and fail' activation system felt like a comfy pair of jeans.

On the downside, I think it might mean the end of this 1:72 project though. I wanted to do 1:72 because I thought I'd be doing all the armies. However, after playing DR, my opponent wants in and I think we might be going with the LotR models (we know others with those models as well).

I'm willing to sell the two armies seen here if there's any interest.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 06:34:24 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2022, 06:35:06 PM »
Hmmm...I think my DR 1/72 project might be alive and well. i have to knock out a Khorne Blood Bowl team first, then I think I'm back to a couple of factions here.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2022, 09:51:57 PM »
How about you ignore the Blood Bowl, better yet sell it all, and focus on the factions here... lol

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2022, 10:51:02 PM »
How about you ignore the Blood Bowl, better yet sell it all, and focus on the factions here... lol

GREAT idea!  lol

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2022, 05:48:24 PM »

I sold most of blood bowl. So not bad idea. Id never thought of 1:72. This Is quote the inspiration.

Offline MysteryMachine

• Bookworm
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2022, 08:51:51 PM »
Hi Jack - glad to hear you're thinking about changing your mind re 1:72 / 20mm. It felt like such a shame after seeing those beautifully painted DR warbands. I don't know anyone else who paints / wargames with miniatures, so I figure I'm going to have to provide all miniatures for any gaming with friends or family, which is where the size / price point of this scale comes in handy.

I am a very slow painter (so have only finished 45 or 50 'fantasy' minis to date in this scale (though more are on the painting table). I'd like to be able to share them on the forum, because I know how encouraging it is to see other people's efforts, particularly in less popular scales. Do you have any hints / suggestions on photography techniques, especially for those without any skills/background in this particular area?

As for the intended aim/use of the collection, I am looking forward to skirmish wargaming using (Advanced) Song of Blades and Heroes, and Thud and Blunder, and co-op / solo wargaming with Five Leagues from the Borderlands, Sellswords and Spellslingers, Nightwatch, and Rangers of Shadow Deep. Lots more painting and scenery making needs to take place first!