Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:10:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi - Zealots (28 Feb)  (Read 29633 times)

Online Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
Re: 15mm Generic Sci Fi - WIP dungeon tile (27 May)
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2022, 04:07:11 PM »
Look here. You might something to inspire you or which you can use. I tried to find the ones that should help but there is so much more.....

these are printed. Look up Bugbait & Tommygun, both have great inspirational stuff.

Thanks for these - some great inspiration there! Saved them down into the quickly-filling USB of Possibilities.

I've struggled to find anything from Bugbait. Is there a blog of some sorts with a different name?

Admittedly only for a few small ruined corridor sections,
crashed ship scenery, but I used the insides of envelopes.
There are some nice patterns available. As I didn't need
a lot I just used letters/envelopes that came in the post,
but if you wanted to do whole corridor sections, then
simply buy a pack or two of new envelopes.

This is an intriguing idea! Do the thin washes mean there's a slightly texture to them?

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2022, 04:53:14 PM »
This is an intriguing idea! Do the thin washes mean there's a slightly texture to them?
No real texture, but when I (accidentally) applied to much 'wash' the paper buckled. Looked
good on the ruined sections. With the foam-board sections pipework was achieved with
bent paperclips. I found the coloured ones especially useful.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Re: 15mm Generic Sci Fi - scratchbuilt corridor tiles (16 May)
« Reply #152 on: May 31, 2022, 02:28:31 AM »
I like my terrain to be quick, cheap and easy. Apart from finding it hard to saw at right angles, these were a doddle to throw together. The main body comes from cable trunking, which cost less than £5 for two meters. Some cable ties over nylon mesh for the floor, and cable tie holders threaded with electrical cable for the walls.

They took one evening's worth of hobbying to construct, and several weeks of procrastinating to paint. Expendable pieces of terrain which should be able to take a bit of knocking about.

What’s a cable tie holder?  Thanks

Dan

Online Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #153 on: May 31, 2022, 06:37:54 AM »
No real texture, but when I (accidentally) applied to much 'wash' the paper buckled. Looked
good on the ruined sections. With the foam-board sections pipework was achieved with
bent paperclips. I found the coloured ones especially useful.

Nice, I'll keep an eye out. Don't think I've bought any envelopes since courting Mrs Doodler, but we certainly a fair number of those threatening TV licence letters through the post. Here's hoping they have some use after all!

What’s a cable tie holder?  Thanks

I think I've seen them referred to as zip tie mounts as well, little rungs to slip the relevant tie through. These are the ones I bought. And, while I'm on the site, here's the trunking as well.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #154 on: May 31, 2022, 06:59:41 AM »
You could at one location, or another is to install some extra pipes vertically. One idea is to use some striped solid copper wiring and use the insulator as pipe connections.

Just my two cents, hope it is useful. 
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #155 on: May 31, 2022, 11:39:21 AM »
Welcome my friend,
re
I've struggled to find anything from Bugbait. Is there a blog of some sorts with a different name?

I honestly do not know, it has been quite some time since I saw anything of his, I do have some of his stuff from way back for 32mm Wh40k/ Infinity.
Those Space hulk corridors are his and they look superb when printed on a laser colour printer.

WM
that is a nice idea, Lazy Forger use different gauges of soldering wire also to good effect , so that is another venue.

Another very good source is busted PC motherboards as they have a ton of lovely stuff on them. The problem is to remove all the soldering.
I found that filing the pointy bits flat with a bastard file then hitting them with my wife's mini gas kitchen torch ( the one used to make creme brulee
https://www.amazon.com/Blow-Torch-Refillable-Professional-Adjustable/dp/B01G3MZWBU     .. ssshhh  ;) ;) )

& then pressing them down quickly with a flat scraper ( usually ) dislodges them. Just don't burn the board as it is nasty smelling & toxic.

Hope this helps
Z
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 11:41:05 AM by zrunelord »
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Online Idle Doodler

• Scientist
Re: 15mm Generic Sci Fi - WIP computer terminals (31 May)
« Reply #156 on: May 31, 2022, 03:04:54 PM »
You could at one location, or another is to install some extra pipes vertically. One idea is to use some striped solid copper wiring and use the insulator as pipe connections.

Hmm, I wonder if something similar could be done with plastic-coated paper clips. I'm sure I've got some of those lying around somewhere.

Another very good source is busted PC motherboards as they have a ton of lovely stuff on them. The problem is to remove all the soldering.
I found that filing the pointy bits flat with a bastard file then hitting them with my wife's mini gas kitchen torch ( the one used to make creme brulee

I've been having fun with the leftover circuitry from pile of keyboards, though I hadn't thought to tackle them with a mini blowtorch! We've certainly got one of those about the place for the essential Baked Alaska baking.

I found that sticking them into the jenga pieces and little wooden cubes worked - the wood is soft enough that the spiky bits push into it, and ends up giving some extra grip.

I cast some with oyumaru, milliput and green stuff. The circuitry detail seems to hold well enough:

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #157 on: May 31, 2022, 05:12:48 PM »
Those are awesome! Why haven't I thought of it, I have a buddy who has a few circuit boards laying around I'll have to see if he is willing to part with them.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #158 on: May 31, 2022, 05:34:51 PM »
 Great idea on using circuit boards for the consoles.They work really well.

I also like War Monkey's pipe post too.Very inspirational all round.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #159 on: May 31, 2022, 07:00:59 PM »
Those push mold terminals turned out well. The pipe tutorial was great too. I truly had never even thought of that before. Duh!

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #160 on: June 01, 2022, 04:59:21 AM »
Welcome, a mini blow torch has lots of uses.

Now those came out nice indeed.
That hadn't come to mind. Thank for sharing.

I was planning to use the best panels ( the board pieces with the most little electronics devices ) for scifi walls.
The main problem with any electronic circuit boards is that they are made of toxic materials & can be sharp also,
so care must be taken when cutting, sanding or heating them.

Z

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 06:54:11 PM by Cacique Caribe »

Online Idle Doodler

• Scientist
Re: 15mm Generic Sci Fi - more dungeon tiles (07 Jun)
« Reply #162 on: June 07, 2022, 01:29:55 PM »
Neat! And much better for a cleaner, uniform concept of space. Were these pilfered from an offspring's toybox? Alas, I'm not sure I can find an inexpensive source for lego products...

More progress on the tiles. Bit of trial and error, but I think I've got a set up which allows them to go together relatively seamlessly. Going to need at least nine altogether, and have got less than a fortnight to construct and paint them before the next holiday. Need to keep a look out for a suitable container too.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #163 on: June 07, 2022, 05:06:07 PM »
Those are looking really good!

They remind me of Tiny Solitary Soldiers Blog which has been down for ages now however, you can find it at Wayback Machine. Here is the link. He had many more great ideas on this blog I suggest giving it a look some great inspirations there.
http://web.archive.org/web/20190721054735/http://tinysolitarysoldiers.blogspot.com/

The tiles were made of 6x6 inch MDF, foam core board and cork. I don't know what tile size you are using however I am sure that you could match those up to yours
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 05:41:28 PM by War Monkey »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #164 on: June 07, 2022, 05:32:46 PM »
Agreed, those look nice. The panel detail is lovely. Something I feel like I almost always fail to pull off well.