Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:39:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi - Zealots (28 Feb)  (Read 29571 times)

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Generic Sci Fi - Bipedal Crustaceans (29 Jan)
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2022, 04:21:55 PM »
Great idea, though that's a whole load more 15mm ankles at risk from clumy elbows!

You could use putty to make the tentacle a little thicker and add a little more length as well, so they don't look like the dancing on the tips of their tentacles.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Re: 15mm Generic Sci Fi - Bipedal Crustaceans (29 Jan)
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2022, 09:40:36 PM »
I have an idea you can build from "Tentacle Brain Monster" from "Alternative Armies". https://www.alternative-armies.com/collections/15mm-shm-and-star-vikings-ranges/products/shm12-tentacle-brain-monster The legs are poseable, so you will be able to give each one a little different look. With some Procreate or Green Stuff you can add a couple more tentacles Alternative Amies also carries separate weapon spurs so you can arm them if you add the extra tentacles or modify the current ones to look as if they are holding the weapons. 

I’ll have to include those in my next order!  Thanks

Dan

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
Re: 15mm Generic Sci Fi - Toothy Green Hunter (02 Feb)
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2022, 07:16:03 AM »
You could use putty to make the tentacle a little thicker and add a little more length as well, so they don't look like the dancing on the tips of their tentacles.

Certainly looks like I'll need to be adding Green Stuff to my 'to get' list.

Quick job on another member of the job lot (also from Alternative Armies), done in one sitting. Really rather enjoying 15mm as a scale - so much easier for a slow painter to avoid getting bogged down.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2022, 04:40:03 PM »
Nice job!

I can confirm that slow painters can still get bogged down painting 15mm lol

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2022, 04:58:34 PM »
Nice looking Figure.

Certainly looks like I'll need to be adding Green Stuff to my 'to get' list.

If you haven't used Green Stuff before or any other such putties, I recommend watching some of the YouTube channels. I got started watching Tom Mason. He has a great tutorial on sculpting 15mm. Here's a link
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ef-skMFHqg

Putties can be a real pain I would suggest just making little things at first, I Draw little objects (outlines) on a 3x5 card cover it with shiny packing tape (Makes it easier to pop off the card). Then I go for the putty, things will be flat on one side, however if you are doing a weapon let's say you can add a little detail when your sculping it to a figure. But if you're doing a weapons rack then it is not a problem. I started by making little things like boxes or cargo like objects then move on to more challenging things.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2022, 05:41:04 AM »
You definitely should try putty, it will open new venues.
To make a tentacle just roll a thin sausage of putty on a wetted
Old credit card with a fine toothed comb.

I personally prefer brown stuff or GS + milliput. All putties have different properties. Be patient & persevere as it can be frustrating at times. Make your own tools keeping in mind that all tools will make a reverse impression on the putty.

Take your time . Heat will reduce curing time BUT do not use a microwave. A good idea is to get blue mouldable rubber like the one from Green Stuff World or you can make press moulds using plastic sprue.

And most importantly, do not give up, especially when putty doesn"t want to stick to the blasted model  ;) :D.

Z
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 05:43:11 AM by zrunelord »
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
Re: 15mm Generic Sci Fi - Alien Eggheads (15 Feb)
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2022, 05:53:32 AM »
I've got some old green stuff that I've been slowly working through to build up bases so that each figure goes onto a 12mm washer, but it's over a decade old and doesn't work as well as it ought to for finer details. I do have some Oyumaru / Blue Stuff, and have started dissolving old sprues in acetone (I knew it was worth holding onto them for 20 years) - just need to find some good bits and pieces to cast for terrain.

Less time spent painting recently so only this trio of aliens to show for the last couple of weeks. Not entirely convinced I've got this drybrushing thing down pat - I've grabbed some cheap make up brushes to see if they help get a softer touch.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2022, 06:44:45 AM »
They came out good.
If you are using plastic sprue goo in blue stuff moulds just note that the acetone can degrade them as it is a strong chemical.

Z

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2022, 12:18:30 AM »
Those look great, I use make-up brushes for dry brushing, they work really well.

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2022, 10:33:31 AM »
Mrs Doodler was most amused at how pink everything was. Doesn't quite fit with the aesthetics of anything at home. The tin must be good for something, though.

If you are using plastic sprue goo in blue stuff moulds just note that the acetone can degrade them as it is a strong chemical.

Early days, but so far it doesn't seem to have eaten away at any of the Blue Stuff. Having to remain patient, though - storms Dudley and Eunice have made outdoor hobbying or indeed opening windows a less-than-practical choice of activity, and that acetone has quite an odour!

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2022, 05:18:35 PM »
I said can, give it time & it will.
Not to sound like I'm, lecturing but Acetone is a highly flammable, strong degreaser, paint/ nail polish remover, glue remover.

Please do be careful with acetone & do wear safety glasses due to possible splashes etc. a small drop of the stuff can have dire consequences on your eyes. :( :( :(

Apart from that enjoy your trials with plastic goo as they can lead to some quite nice results.

Z

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2022, 05:54:59 AM »
I appreciate it! I'm a belt-and-braces fellow, so am tackling it armed with goggles, gloves, mask and apron. Lots of time in PPE has acclimatised me to caution!

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2022, 06:29:56 AM »
" Belt and Braces " ... I learnt another expression  :D

Coincidentally, I'm into OHS also, so experience does teach one a thing or 2... & what's the use of learning if one doesn't share knowledge gained. ;)

Btw, I have foregone acetone & use paint thinner to dissolve plastic sprue with good results. Still hazardous but perhaps slightly less so....

Z

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2022, 05:14:26 PM »
Quick job on another member of the job lot (also from Alternative Armies), done in one sitting. Really rather enjoying 15mm as a scale - so much easier for a slow painter to avoid getting bogged down.

Which figure is that one, exactly?  Thanks

Dan

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.