Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:46:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685048
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 766
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 681
Total: 685

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi - Zealots (28 Feb)  (Read 29343 times)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Generic Sci Fi - 5 Parsecs From Home campaign turn 1 (06 Jul)
« Reply #210 on: July 06, 2022, 06:31:38 PM »
Lovely batrep! Very, very enjoyable!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #211 on: July 06, 2022, 07:29:24 PM »
Another good report. How long is it taking you to play out each mission?

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
« Reply #212 on: July 07, 2022, 06:28:11 PM »
Cheers all!

I'm a very nonchalant, inefficient gamer, so each of these campaign turns take about an hour to do (including all the pre-mission stuff). That's taking into account getting distracted by the tennis, making tea, and the like. I'm sure an efficient and... er, chalant... gamer could get it all done in half the time!

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
Re: 15mm Generic Sci Fi - a case for the dungeon tiles (08 Jul)
« Reply #213 on: July 08, 2022, 04:04:06 PM »
Happily, I've found a decent container for the dungeon tiles - an old kitchen surface sample case. Large enough for a 4 x 3 grid of tiles flat, two full layers one on top of the other and, if I can keep everything thin enough, another layer of wall-less tiles on top of that.

That last part may change since I'm minded to magnetise the tile bottoms and wall tops, and a cursory test suggests that there should be enough space for magnetic sheets, but I'm not sure if it will work when the whole case is full.

In any event, the case will need a bit of work done to it. Perhaps some foam core stuck to the sides and EVA foam to the top (space permitting).

It does mean that I've got space for up to another 16 walled tiles and 10 floor tiles. I might make two pairs of panelled tunnel floor and wall tiles for the symmetry, and then it will be a case of working out other applications for jenga blocks in a sci fi setting. Will happily take suggestions and inspiration! I also have some 20x20cm tiles so there's scope for some more open terrain. Perhaps some sandy canyons - just a different coating on the sides of the walls and less work on the floors, though gaps between tiles will be more obvious.

A jungle is a possibility, with lots of plants crowded around jenga blocks, but might feel a bit odd having such flat ground, especially the four tiles that would stack across the top in the case - can't have anything thicker than a 2mm EVA foam layer.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Re: 15mm Generic Sci Fi - a case for the dungeon tiles (08 Jul)
« Reply #214 on: July 09, 2022, 05:54:44 AM »
ID

Excellent find!  I’ve been looking for a similar case for a while.  I have a friend who says he has something that might work for me.  I’ll take pics once I start work on it.

Dan

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
Re: 15mm Generic Sci Fi - a continued case for the dungeon tiles (20 Jul)
« Reply #215 on: July 20, 2022, 03:45:03 PM »
Excellent find!  I’ve been looking for a similar case for a while.  I have a friend who says he has something that might work for me.  I’ll take pics once I start work on it.

I'd love to see how your take on it works out! I've a couple of old empty drill cases for future projects - a Makita and a Black & Decker. The ready-made inserts would be a decent basis for sci fi terrain shapes.

Ended up going for just the one other terrain type for the time being, hoping to get things done in time for the next journey in two weeks' time. There's still scope for some flat, wall-less tiles on top from some grassland planet, but that's a job for future Doodler. Until then, a sheet of EVA foam laid across the cork tiles should stop everything from rattling around in transit.

Had some cork tiles lying around after being inspired ages back by Matakishi's Tea House, so used them to make some tiles from scratch after struggling to find further coasters and mats which would fit neatly. Turns out that seven layers of the cork equalled one jenga wall, so proceeded to make some stack, canyon and alcove tiles. Also did two tiles for to act as objective markers. A sawn-up water pistol became a crashed space craft, and several jenga blocks became the basis for a versatile building of whatever plot-necessary purpose with the help of some keyboard keys and broken not-Transformers toy.

Just got to settle on a texture paste to slap on the flat areas of cork, and then get some drybrushing practice in. Got some old Wickes sampler pots which should make for some hardy coats, and have been slowly chopping up some jute twine to act as alien planet scrub - just about the only hobbying I was able to get done in the very silly British weather this week.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #216 on: July 21, 2022, 01:00:13 PM »
That's a brilliant set-up! Great to have both outdoor and indoor modularity.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #217 on: July 21, 2022, 03:26:50 PM »
Love the battle case. I feel like it needs some handcuffs attached to the handle and a "Top Secret" sticker slapped on the side for good measure lol

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #218 on: July 21, 2022, 06:57:14 PM »
Love the battle case. I feel like it needs some handcuffs attached to the handle and a "Top Secret" sticker slapped on the side for good measure lol

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #219 on: July 22, 2022, 06:57:38 PM »
Nice setup.
What you need is an artist acrylic impasto or paste for the terrain. Use the fine or medium grit. I mix mine with paints to create the various tints.

Z

http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #220 on: July 22, 2022, 09:39:26 PM »
Thanks, folks

Great to have both outdoor and indoor modularity.

The floors for both sets of tiles lining up was a very happy accident. I may have messed it up with the application of textured paste, though hopefully it's a thin enough level that it won't be a tremendous leap up for 15mm figures. I'm quite pleased that the rocky tiles will be able to surround a corridor tile to essentially create a small outpost.

Y'know... did we ever find out what was in the Pulp Fiction briefcase...?

What you need is an artist acrylic impasto or paste for the terrain. Use the fine or medium grit. I mix mine with paints to create the various tints.

In the end I went with filler (spackle), fine sand, pva and a bit of paint so I could see which areas I'd already gone over. Had enough left over to do a spare flat tile too, so now I can set up a 3 x 3 rocky set up without having to use one of the large tiles. Also handy to have a bit of a larger space so that there's occasionally a benefit to having long ranged weapons. My 5 Parsecs crew rolled up some decent weaponry, but the corridors have to some extent negated some of their benefits!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #221 on: July 23, 2022, 05:20:16 AM »
Y'know... did we ever find out what was in the Pulp Fiction briefcase...?

In the move "Ronin", did we ever find out what was in that briefcase?  lol lol lol

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #222 on: July 23, 2022, 11:10:29 PM »
Lol.  Good point!

Dan

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
Re: 15mm Generic Sci Fi - wasteland tiles fit for a case (01 Aug)
« Reply #223 on: August 01, 2022, 08:06:40 AM »
Got the second set of tiles done in time for the next holiday by public transport, so the crew can now dream of using their long range weaponry from an actual distance. Still space for nine tiles to make a flat grassland of some sort, but that can wait. Until then, a sheet of EVA foam stops everything from rattling around too much inside the case.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
Re: 15mm Generic Sci Fi - wasteland tiles fit for a case (01 Aug)
« Reply #224 on: August 01, 2022, 09:38:48 AM »
Quite Nice work ....
Good Job  :D

Z