Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:20:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 6mm alien invader robots!  (Read 5352 times)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: 6mm alien invader robots!
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2022, 10:45:18 AM »
teal is cyan-green, which is blue-green-green, so a lot of green :D

Red-orange is the complement of blue-green, that may be worth a try. The split complement would be both red and orange.

Yellow's complement is purple (violet), which only really gets involved in a triad colour scheme with blue-green, and even then as yellow-orange. You'd also need some red-violet if you go down the triad route.

Note, this is coming from someone who never gets much more adventurous than brown, but I can dream :D

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2022, 02:36:07 PM »
I've been struck with very little time but a great inspiration to work on some classic anime style alien invader mecha. Think Macross Zentradi/invid + the zeon from gundam with a dollop of Cobra for design sensibility.

I think you've achieved your design goals. Definitely getting those influences, with a dash of War of the Worlds if it was done in anime, too  :D
https://www.instagram.com/notify_grout/
Current projects: collecting way too many vintage Warzone models.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2022, 06:07:39 PM »
Very very cool looking, great to see our buildings in the background too! :)

Offline Macrossmartin

• Scientist
  • Hobbies from Other Dimensions!
    • The Miniature Martin Site
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2022, 11:42:32 AM »
Oh gosh, I do like those!  :-* Splendid work, my friend!
Operating from an abandoned US spy base somewhere in the Australian outback, Miniature Martin produces games and scale miniatures set in parallel worlds, past and future. He is NOT trying to take over the Earth. This time.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2022, 08:20:59 PM »
Very very cool looking, great to see our buildings in the background too! :)

Nothing but the best  ;D

Oh gosh, I do like those!  :-* Splendid work, my friend!

Thanks, Martin, Figured these would be right up your alley!

Small update today, I've quickly bashed together a railgun laser beam ish weapon for the invaders, something a bit more sci-fi and substantial looking.

They go nicely on the chickens, about the max size for them I think, larger will get a bit top-heavy. (I'm planning to do rocket pods as well, could get tricky that)

And they work just as well upside down on the tripods!

3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Robosmith

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2022, 04:29:57 PM »
Hope you don't mind some feedback on the designs. I really like the concept and want to see where you can take them.

The high heels on the chicken walkers look weird and seem like a good point of failure while printing. Maybe fallen them into more of an elephant's foot?

The ankle "vents" are really cool. Maybe add one vertical to the leg piece below the knee so they're not so plain? Just on the outsides would make vents ideal to paint different colours for unit recognition.

The shields are a bit small and immobile for the rest of the body. Maybe increase them for a more defensive walker able to bring them together to form a larger shield (would be cool to have them all form together as a massive shield wall too..). Would go well with another unit which switches them out for 2 guns then you could have the current small shields as scouts, the double shield as defense and triple guns as offense. Would be cool to see them with square missle pods to wear as hats.. Maybe I just want a big shield wall with a bunch of missle spamming chickens behind it though..

The Koopa Troopa shell on the head's style doesn't match the rest of the design. It's all smooth edges and then it has that rim. The head's eye catching and looks good where it is, but maybe other style "Hats" would suit it better? Probably annoying to paint and get a good print off on such a small scale.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2022, 05:16:43 PM »
Hope you don't mind some feedback on the designs. I really like the concept and want to see where you can take them.

The high heels on the chicken walkers look weird and seem like a good point of failure while printing. Maybe fallen them into more of an elephant's foot?

The ankle "vents" are really cool. Maybe add one vertical to the leg piece below the knee so they're not so plain? Just on the outsides would make vents ideal to paint different colours for unit recognition.

The shields are a bit small and immobile for the rest of the body. Maybe increase them for a more defensive walker able to bring them together to form a larger shield (would be cool to have them all form together as a massive shield wall too..). Would go well with another unit which switches them out for 2 guns then you could have the current small shields as scouts, the double shield as defense and triple guns as offense. Would be cool to see them with square missle pods to wear as hats.. Maybe I just want a big shield wall with a bunch of missle spamming chickens behind it though..

The Koopa Troopa shell on the head's style doesn't match the rest of the design. It's all smooth edges and then it has that rim. The head's eye catching and looks good where it is, but maybe other style "Hats" would suit it better? Probably annoying to paint and get a good print off on such a small scale.

loads of things here so I'll go trough them in order.

I'm kind of fond of the strange look of the feet, they lead up with a nice arch making them easy to support as well when printed, just a large support under each toe.

The tiny vents on the sides of the legs really need enlarging, they kind of get lost under print and paint fuzyness. I do try to keep some blank ish spots where I can add decals and the like on models, not many left on the chicken already. I do really like my big number decals for mechs though I'm contemplating something a bit more alien for these, would a Tau decal be too recognizable?

Yeah the shields were almost where I started and they stand out a bit. They have the potential for more mobility with the arms that are behind them but most poses just don't look great, I do enjoy the chicken wing vibe they have. A version with weapon mounting points would be a simple option though indeed. I experimented with interlocking shields but they did not interact nicely with the head.

The head started out without the rim and it looked unfished to me, it needed something to "catch" the flow of the model from sliding off? it paints quite easy with washes and drybrushes. I also tried to make it as a homage to zaku shoulder pads, but as it shape evolved that got kind of lost.

Meanwhile I have added a missile pod to the lineup!

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2022, 05:37:49 PM »
Lovely work ....
I think the head of the 3 legged mech will look good in a horizontal position also.

Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2022, 06:25:40 PM »
Lovely work ....
I think the head of the 3 legged mech will look good in a horizontal position also.

Z

Thanks!

I have a basic skets for the next one that has more of a sturgeon head forwards with the weapon under it as well, mind I have plans for another 4 mechs, some elite humanoid ones and infantry no idea how far I'll actually get XD

Meanwhile, I'm trying out a very opposite colour scheme, hard sci-fi dirty camo warmachines instead of bright toys. Really torn here! I feel the camo actually shows the shapes of the model better due to the washes and weathering?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 10:10:29 PM by YPU »

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2022, 12:52:42 AM »
It is kind of a toss-up - the models look excellent in both colour schemes…

For me, a lot would depend on what army I was using the figures in. If it is a 1980s Robotech inspired force, it has to be the brightly coloured scheme - nothing says Zentraedi or Robotech Masters like complete disregard for camouflage! On the other hand, the figures in the more military colours would fit right into a Machinen Krieger-style ‘weird future’ force.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2022, 11:31:27 AM »

For me, a lot would depend on what army I was using the figures in. If it is a 1980s Robotech inspired force, it has to be the brightly coloured scheme - nothing says Zentraedi or Robotech Masters like complete disregard for camouflage! On the other hand, the figures in the more military colours would fit right into a Machinen Krieger-style ‘weird future’ force.

Yep that is kind of what I'm stuck on as well. The camo is faster to paint so that's a plus on that side. Over on twitter a cry has come out for bright toy colours with extra weathering to combine the 2 which does sound good but would be the slowest painting of all options.

Offline Robosmith

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2022, 12:17:37 PM »

Camos not much use when you're the size of a mountain and giving off enough heat to warm a mansion..

How did you paint the blue? That colour scheme pops more and fits the style better than the off yellow. The off yellow with more highlight would also look pretty great though. No reason you couldn't do a squad of different terrain schemes.

When are you going to release these to the public? I wouldn't mind throwing some paint at them.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2022, 01:04:30 PM »
Camos not much use when you're the size of a mountain and giving off enough heat to warm a mansion..

How did you paint the blue? That colour scheme pops more and fits the style better than the off yellow. The off yellow with more highlight would also look pretty great though. No reason you couldn't do a squad of different terrain schemes.

When are you going to release these to the public? I wouldn't mind throwing some paint at them.

This is true, but then walking warmachines don't make sense either way.

Easiest thing, vallejo game colour turquoise over a zenithal highlight, army painter dark shade wash over that.

Some refining left to do but honestly the big hurdle at the moment is deciding on a shop name and logo, develop a consistent style and the like.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2022, 01:13:13 PM »

Agreed to a point. In general camo on large vehicle is more to break the profile and make it harder to gauge its size and distance (like they did with old battleships). Of course, with modern and futuristic technologies camos are less and less useful.

Even more, if the only ones without tech are the civilians it's good to have your vehicles to stand out as much as possible!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2022, 02:13:44 PM »
yeah, I tried to keep an element of razzle camo in there, breaking up the profile without making the miniature actually hard to understand. I imagine though I'm sure Sangennaru will correct me if I'm wrong, doing something like that with paint materials that have different radar/sensor reading properties would not digitally hide the machine, but make accurate reading and identification harder.