Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:33:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My Dark Age collection so far  (Read 1927 times)

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
My Dark Age collection so far
« on: January 04, 2022, 03:52:02 PM »
Over New Years I did a check of where I am with my Dark Ages project. I have used these figs for a few games of ADLG but would like to use them as well for other games. I did do some Normans knights etc but these all really for the 800 to 1100 time period. All basing in in the DBx style.

Here is the result - I have a few more than I had planned:

I have over 2200 figs here and I still have multiple ships in the lead pile to paint plus potentially a load more figs as I extend the collection. I am not the best painter - compared to many here, but try and these are good wargame table level from my experience.

You can see more pic's here: https://mellis1644.wordpress.com/2022/01/02/dark-ages-my-collection-made-in-2021/

My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline zirconi

• Schoolboy
Re: My Dark Age collection so far
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 04:05:33 PM »
Wow, great collection ! Are those Forged in Battle ?

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 04:37:15 PM »
Wow, great collection ! Are those Forged in Battle ?

Thanks - it is a mixture of Forged in Battle, Old glory 15's, Essex and Peter Pig. I find those tend to mix and match quite well in a force (if not on the same base). I have built the collection of unpainted stuff up over the years so this is getting that all painted.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 05:20:23 PM »
WoW! very impressive! Any close-ups?
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 06:19:43 PM »
Yes, I have a load on my blog but here are a couple of shots. I hope they help/are of interest. I always paint the shields myself for the period vs using transfers. That is for good or bad - and shows the limits of my painting skills. :)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 06:27:57 PM by mellis1644 »

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 10:39:27 PM »
That's a great collection. It doesn't matter if your painting is not the best, what really matters is that you painted them. When these guys are on the table it will be the mass effect that will make them stand out.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 07:31:30 PM »
That's a great collection. It doesn't matter if your painting is not the best, what really matters is that you painted them. When these guys are on the table it will be the mass effect that will make them stand out.

I try with my painting but I do it for pleasure and I am not naturally skilled with a brush or have an artist eye. But we all can't be as good as some/many here and as you say they look fine on the tabletop. :)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 06:30:29 AM »
I'm a bit maniacal in some of my collecting but never in my wildest imaginations could I imagine having that many Dark Age figures.  So, a well deserved Wow!

(My greatest mania must be my Old West/Pony Wars collection that all in is over 5,000 figures but that includes wagons, animals, dead, civilians, etc.  Truly massive to an insane degree.  But if I'm having fun that is the whole point.)

As to painting quality, being a 'servicable' painter myself, no need to apologize.  As you say, some here are very talented (and some of them are professional miniatures painters and others are well trained artists and some are just skilled amateurs) and the rest of us paint for our own pleasure and to have figures ready to game. 

And that is the critical rub, your figures are painted and on textured bases ready to play - and designed for playing.  A lot of those wonderfully painted figures spend the majority of their life on display and not on the table top.  Nothing wrong with that, of course, but I prefer figures painted to play with.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2022, 08:04:46 AM »
Thats and impressive force.

Definitely worth adding some objectives / camps / markers to it. And some more foot crossbows, with just 2 bases they are going to feel very lonely!

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2022, 04:13:10 PM »
Is that all? What are you lazy or something.
Just joking that is really something.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2022, 03:59:36 AM »
fabulous !

cheers
Matt

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2022, 05:25:01 AM »
Not my period but that is an impressive array of forces, they must look the business on the table. Well done sir!! :)