Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:39:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Book of Boba Fett  (Read 18457 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: The Book of Boba Fett
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2022, 10:04:55 PM »
If no-one has coined Flash-bacta, then I’m claiming it.

Brilliant! I do hope the next episode starts with the Gamorrean guard in the bacta tank and a few scenes from his past.

Last week's was really good. All that sand people back story. Then they do that to them. Did George RR Martin write this episode?

But if you care about the sand people, doesn't that show that the story's working? Just as the Red Wedding, etc., are signs of Martin's skill as a storyteller? If the scriptwriters hadn't made you care about the Tuskens, it wouldn't be affecting.

It's like the end of Seven Samurai - a test-screening audience would want a happier ending, but the skill of the storytelling is in allowing it to hurt.

I didn't like the bikes much either, and I agree on the look of the cyborg gang.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2022, 08:24:31 AM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 02:52:12 PM by Grumpy Gnome »
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2022, 09:26:05 AM »
The bike chase reminded me of the bit in Austin Powers with the steam roller.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2022, 02:36:39 PM »
The bike chase reminded me of the bit in Austin Powers with the steam roller.

On another site, it's been described as "Instead of a high speed chase, we were treated to a a group on hover round motorized wheel chairs moving through town."  lol

Offline iDreamofMinis

• Bookworm
    • I Dream of Minis Blog
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2022, 03:06:46 PM »
It was so bad.  I felt like I wasted my life.  The space-teens with their space-Vespas... c'mon, man!  Terrible.

And the whole time they're chasing the guy who drives his speeder like he's going through a school zone during dismissal hours, I'm wonder where Boba Fett is with his jet pack.  Guess who shows up after they smash into the obligatory fruit stand?

I hope the next episode is better. 

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2022, 03:46:42 PM »
The only good thing about the chase (for me) was that he crashed into crates of meilooruns (first seen in Rebels).

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2022, 04:16:37 PM »
The only good thing about the chase (for me) was that he crashed into crates of meilooruns (first seen in Rebels).

Yeah, nice touch  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2022, 04:36:40 PM »
After two very good parts the third was a bit slow. The Space-Vespas and these gang of terminators were not neccessary, not StarWars-like. The rest was more an introducing for the next parts of BookOfBoba. It was ok, but not the high standard everyone expects…
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2022, 04:42:19 PM »
For all the complaints about the speed of the chase scene, a lot of shows are suffering from this 'faux speed' effect not working (see also Sons of Anarchy's last couple of seasons, Mayans, virtually any TV cop show where there's close ups in the chase made in the last 10 years), my guess is it's a risk management/h&s issue, not to mention cost, insurance for performing stunts at high speed etc, coupled with filming a lot of scenes in a 100ft long virtual stage.

I also read some theorising somewhere that the mods gang may be a nod in some way to American Grafitti, which is just the kind of homage to Lucas I'd expect from Favreau/Filoni.  Never got round to watching it so can't comment any further, but it sounds plausible.   As for them not being very star wars-y star wars is everything from subsistence farmers growing space-rice in paddy fields to high tech, world covering slick cities doused in neon with flying cars, so I'm not sure where that idea comes from.

The treatment of the Rancor is much more akin to those seen in Rebels, which was much more sympathetic and does make the poor thing's demise in ROTJ a lot more tragic.

I've enjoyed more about it than I've disliked.  You have to forget what you know from EU and 40 odd years of fanon and headcanon imo.  I also think it's a mistake now to see these series as 'good episodes' and 'bad episodes', BOBF, much like The Witcher or The Expanse are much more like a 6-8 hour movie broken into chunks.  This feels like a relatively quiet space in the second act which sets up  the denoument.

Offline iDreamofMinis

• Bookworm
    • I Dream of Minis Blog
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2022, 06:11:09 PM »
I think you hit the nail on the head, Cypher
I've enjoyed more about it than I've disliked.  You have to forget what you know from EU and 40 odd years of fanon and headcanon imo.  I also think it's a mistake now to see these series as 'good episodes' and 'bad episodes', BOBF, much like The Witcher or The Expanse are much more like a 6-8 hour movie broken into chunks.  This feels like a relatively quiet space in the second act which sets up  the denoument.

It is unfortunate that all of the episodes are not available, as I can't watch the "good" part that comes afterward.  All in all, it's still a fun show and I will most likely watch it again next Wednesday.  :)

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2022, 06:12:10 PM »
As for them not being very star wars-y star wars is everything from subsistence farmers growing space-rice in paddy fields to high tech, world covering slick cities doused in neon with flying cars, so I'm not sure where that idea comes from.

I don't necessarily think they don't look Star Wars-y, but they do look out of place. if this was Coruscant or Canto Bight they would fit right in, but in Mos Espa they stick out like a sore thumb. Not only does everyone around them look worn and weary, the backstory of these guys is that they're out of job, yet they look like a bunch of hipsters and are the only ones who have clean and fashionable clothing, spotless vehicles in trendy colours, and fancy cybernetics. These guys can't afford water, but some how they, their clothes and their vehicles all look remarkably clean.

Offline Grah

• Bookworm
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2022, 06:54:41 PM »

But if you care about the sand people, doesn't that show that the story's working? Just as the Red Wedding, etc., are signs of Martin's skill as a storyteller? If the scriptwriters hadn't made you care about the Tuskens, it wouldn't be affecting.

Good point  :D

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2022, 07:15:15 PM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 02:52:55 PM by Grumpy Gnome »

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2022, 09:42:27 PM »
The space mods are just that mods(or futurists lol),and despite their lack of work the strive to look flash,perhaps in this case a reaction to the general environment. Much like their original namesakes mod* was a reaction,young clerical workers et cetera looking fast and slick in a post wwII world (mods came from modernists early 60s jazz fans listening to bebop,soul and rhythm and blues rather than trad jazz).
I think in conclusion someone may have been into The Jam lol

* Never a mod myself,more weird psych stuff…In a time long ,long ago futures past at the gates of dawn lol
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2022, 10:28:43 PM »
Well, I just enjoyed it.

The Vespa scene felt unnecessary, but hey, I just watched Mandalorian 1#1 again, and even there we have several unnecessary fillers (Mando learns to ride…).

So oka. I felt the wookie fight was a bit unexplained. How did this guy get into the room? Why has Boba several guards to protect his palace? And why didn’t that stupid wookie just shoot him?

I also felt the Hutt‘s exiting a bit too rash and unexplained for my taste. But then again, it’s 1.) Star Wars, 2.) Enjoyable Pulpe SF lasting less than an hour, 3.) Star Wars, 4.) really well made and without any boring bits, 5.) Star Wars, 6.) a nice and highly gameable perspective on the underground in the Star Wars universe…and 7.) it’s Star Wars, of course.

So in the end, I liked it despite its flaws!