Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:57:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689224
  • Total Topics: 118264
  • Online Today: 500
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2022 - Burgundavia's farm with stables (physical draft layout - Jan 12)  (Read 3559 times)

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
Re: BSC2022 - Burgundavia's farm with stables
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2022, 03:23:30 AM »
So did some more blocking out today. I decided to change from a doing a Normandy-style farm with multiple separate buildings to a single large building blending into the stables and gatehouse, more in keeping with older buildings especially from the south of France, Italy and Spain. May end up not keeping the bent main farm house, but it does have a logical terrain reason for it to be there. I also wanted to capture the tower and the low building from the first two inspiration pictures, so added them in.

FreeCAD-SecondLayout by Corey Burger, on Flickr

What's next? I have to print out the building bases and place them on the mat, put some minis down and see how they might work.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2022, 07:55:46 AM »
That’s looking really good, I like the angled part on the main build running into the tower  8)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2022, 11:50:57 AM »
That’s looking really good, I like the angled part on the main build running into the tower  8)
Exactly that. This is going to look great.

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2022, 06:23:28 AM »
Spent some time blocking out the facade today. I was hoping to get the main farmhouse footprint cut and on the mat, but the mat needs some TLC because I messed the last thing I did, so it is damp with glue.

So what I discovered is that if I want two staircases down, I am going to need to make the farmhouse bigger. Quite a bit bigger - from ~300mm total length to over ~400mm total length. But with that, I was able to get the two features I really wanted - two staircases - one up to the main farm house and one to the tower.

What you end up with is below - the left side with the large doors (for an indoor stable) is 215mm, while the bent side with the tower is 175mm long. Underneath both staircases you get an entrance to either a storehouse or servants quarters. And above the stable door, a large hayloft door.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 06:25:22 AM by Burgundavia »

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2022, 04:26:27 AM »
Finally got something physical today - the building footprints! I exported the DXF from FreeCAD and then cut them on my Silhouette Cameo 4.  I wanted to see  what it would look like live. So I did a test cut:
Test cut of the main farmhouse by Corey Burger, on Flickr

Once I started blocking out doors and the two staircases, I quickly realized that I don't have enough space, so the house needed to be even bigger, sadly. That scrap of paper is me figuring out just how much bigger I would need to make it. I can already see just how many more bricks I will need to cut.

So I got back to designing and redid the house, plus stables and gatehouse. Which leads me to these two pictures:

First layout of farm house footprint on the real mat by Corey Burger, on Flickr

First layout of farm house footprint on the real mat by Corey Burger, on Flickr

This is the same mat (albeit with some medium talc bloom I am dealing with) as I brought into FreeCAD, just in the real version. I added some carts and minis to see what it would look like. Overall, I think I am mostly happy with this cut, but might still take another round at designing.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Re: BSC2022 - Burgundavia's farm with stables (physical draft layout - Jan 12)
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2022, 06:47:12 AM »
nice layout
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2022, 08:19:46 PM »
Oh 3D printers. How I love thee and hate thee. So my printer was offline for a month waiting for a new thermistor because I broke the wire. Then I said to the wife "I should have ordered an extra hotend heater cartridge too, in case it breaks". I don't think you will have a hard time guessing what broke the next day. So lots of mental progress, but no actual physical progress.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2022, 10:23:58 PM »
Interesting 8)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2022, 07:13:26 PM »
Interesting to watch the planning process  :)

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2022, 05:26:46 AM »
Ok, finally got back to blocking out the farmhouse in a printable fashion. All the walls are now in place, including some of the interior walls (at least on the first floor). None of the doors or windows are done, yet. They will be just be holes in the building and all the details added using foam stones.

It doesn't look like much, but this is about 4 hours work to get to this point:
FreeCAD-BlockedOut by Corey Burger, on Flickr

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
So looks like this is the end - my 3D printer decided to bust itself again today, so won't be able to finish the printing of the building. I will finish this post-contest, but just frustrated.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
So looks like this is the end - my 3D printer decided to bust itself again today, so won't be able to finish the printing of the building. I will finish this post-contest, but just frustrated.
That's a shame. No hope of getting it fixed on time? I was really liking the way this was turning out.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
I will finish this post-contest,
Please do, I would like to see it finished &
being used in a game.