Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:05:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

Do you prefer slow zombies, fast zombies or a mix of both in a single setting?

I prefer slow zombies.
I prefer fast zombies.
I prefer a mix of both in a single setting.
Other (please explain in the comments).

Author Topic: Opinions on slow zombies versus fast zombies?  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Opinions on slow zombies versus fast zombies?
« on: January 07, 2022, 10:26:52 AM »
I am a big fan of slow zombies both in my gaming as well as in the various mediums of fiction. Not that fast zombies (ghouls/feral vampires/whatever) do not have a place… I like them too just for different reasons, for a different atmosphere in a game or movie.

What do you think?

Which do you prefer?

Which game or rules best typifies relentless plodding doom rather than manic frenzy?

You can read more of my thoughts on this topic on my blog…

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2022/01/07/walking-dead-world-beyond-really-irked-me-warning-rant-with-spoilers/

… but really here I am curious about your ideas on the gaming specifics of zombie post-apoc and how I might best get the gaming experience I want.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Re: Opinions on slow zombies versus fast zombies?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 10:47:09 AM »
I think slow zombies are popular because we all think we could take one.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 11:12:36 AM »
Slow, but very difficult to stop & fatal if it gets to hand to hand. :o

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 11:24:51 AM »
slow but loads of them :D

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 11:32:14 AM »
I also prefer slow zombies.

For gaming them, I think the Song of Blades/Ganesha rulesets offer the most potential (e.g. Mutants and Death Ray Guns, the excellent post-apoc/sci-fi set). One of the great innovations of the Ganesha rule is the use of short, medium and long movement sticks; two short moves is longer than one medium one.

The risk/reward system in the rules gives you up to three activations, each of which could be a move. Your chance of activating depends on your Quality score, which would be good for heroes (perhaps 3, so 3+ on a D6) and poor for zombies (4 or, more likely, 5). Each move can only be in a straight line (so turning a corner requires two activations), and the risk is that if you fail two or more activations for a single character, your turn ends. So if the "heroes" player rolls 1, 2 and 5 when attempting to activate a character, that character can only take one action (move, shoot, whatever) and it's then the zombies' turn.

This means that there's lots of potential for characters to end up trapped when they roll badly. On average, Quality 3 heroes are going to run rings round the slow-moving, hard-to-activate zombies, but every so often, one character is going to fail an activation roll (stumbling, tripping, whatever), and every so often, the zombie player is going to gamble on three activations, all of which come off. So, while the zombies will usually play it safe with single activation rolls (no risk of ending the turn) and will either each make one move or none, clever play and appropriate risk-taking can lead to situations where heroes find themselves trapped or surrounded. But of course, the heroes can play it safe by rolling only one or two dice for their activations too. All of that makes for a tense, asymmetrical game.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 11:47:34 AM »
Slow, but very difficult to stop & fatal if it gets to hand to hand. :o

Not really we have all had years of indoctrination and training on how to handle them. Simple things like closing doors and windows. Not having sex in your car up at paradise point.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 12:30:06 PM »
Yeah, I like the idea that the zombie isn't much to worry about in combat, except that you literally have to destroy them (or the brain) to stop them attacking you because they will just keep trying to eat you (or the brain) with no regard for anything else.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 04:11:03 PM »
It's long been a maxim of Horror Films. The Dead Shall WALK!!!
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2022, 04:14:58 PM »
Slow zombies any day - its the inevitability, you can outrun them, but sooner or later they'll catch up.
Fast zombies are basically just really angry people...

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2022, 06:51:10 PM »
@hobgoblin - I like your thinking around SoBH - we need to play more SoBH, the problem is too many games too many periods!

We prefer fantasy mass battle, and Zombies are the ultimate tar pit unit. Big, slow moving, very durable, low damage out put. Attackers get stuck in, but just can’t kill enough, the necromancer keeps raising more and more.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2022, 07:03:06 PM »
I prefer slow, but am not averse to some fast ones in the mix from time to time.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2022, 08:14:18 PM »
Like Cat, I prefer (lots of) slow zombies and have also used a few fast and slightly mutated zombies in our Dedburgh games to give variety and add unexpected challenges to the players.

Alan
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2022, 10:48:01 PM »
Fast Zombies have their place - 28 Days Later (strictly speaking they are not zombies) and Black Summer (not sure what they are) work because of the sheer frantic speed.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2022, 12:42:22 AM »
I use my homebrew solo rules which include slow and fast zombies. The slow z's are by far the majority with the fast z's posing a special threat if they appear. They are not super powerful but they attack with double the dice of a regular zombie, which isn't much considering a regular slow zed attacks with one dice. Their strength comes from their ability to swarm a survivor. Having said that, the fast zombies can catch a survivor more easily and potential halt their movement giving the slow ones time to catch up.

Another aspect of my rules is that even if a zombie isn't killed it will be knocked down with a successful, non-lethal, hit. Thus allowing escape. But the fast zed's are immune to this which further enables them to prevent escape.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2022, 12:44:40 AM »
Slow in fantasy settings
fast in post apoc (like this board) or futuristic.