Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:48:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689769
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BSC 2022 Bearwoodman - Where the Voordalak Sleep  (Read 4556 times)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: BSC 2022 Bearwoodman - Where the Voordalak Sleep
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2022, 10:23:20 PM »
Really cool details, adds a lot of character and implied narrative.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2022, 07:42:48 PM »
Vanvlak: thank you! The key will be whether I can paint them nicely - in my head I see the creepy details as not being immediately obvious, but making the viewer shudder when they look closer and spot them.

Dr Mathias: thanks, and it is a good point about the implied narrative. I did consider whether what I was adding was making the build too specific and limited as a gaming surface (i.e. There is always someone in the cupboard and at the window) but I decided that it was better to be specific and interesting rather than bland. And to be honest this is a bit of a novelty game environment that I suspect will not be fought over regularly and repeatedly. If this build provides the setting for at least one fun game I will be satisfied!

I have now applied an undercoat to the build (I have not done the well and the bucket yet as these will be added later once I have painted the ground level background and the interior of the well shaft). So this is the last update photo before the competition closes.

It struck me that my intentions in relation to the design of the levels in this board might not be clear to readers so I have prepared the picture below showing in red the path players must take to gain access to the lair, and in green the route of escape.

I have added a description below corresponding to each number In yellow on the picture:

1. The investigating character and prospective vampire slayer approaches a wooden building, passing a well on their way, enters the building through a door and after investigating the front room discovers a trapdoor In the floor.

2. The trapdoor reveals stone steps leading down to a stone cellar containing a cupboard and another trapdoor, this time made of metal.

3. Beneath the trapdoor In the cellar is a rope ladder that takes the investigating character down into what looks like a mine.

4. Any character proceeding along the dimly-lit passageway must take care not to fall down any holes In the tunnel floor (particularly those with an array of sharpened stakes at the bottom!).

5. The end of the tunnel connects to a well shaft.  If the investigating character looks up they will be able to see a small circle of  the night sky above them (undoubtedly it will be a full moon). The character can reach out and grasp the rope hanging down In front of them and climb down the rope until they reach the bucket below (as mentioned above, the rope and bucket is still to added). At the bottom of the well shaft is an entrance to another passageway.

6. This final passageway leads past the skeletal remains of an unfortunate prisoner chained to the wall and a gruesome a cluster of spikes to a large coffin. As the investigating character approaches, the lid of the coffin starts to move...

7. In the event that the investigating character survives their encounter with the Voordalak, the quickest route back to the surface is to climb all the way up the well shaft. After emerging they can return to base to claim a well-earned cup of tea and Silver Bayonet medal (or equivalent depending on nationality).

Now I need to do some painting.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2022, 08:03:03 PM »
Those stakes look lethal! Love the dungeon.
Looks like you've joined the ranks of the early finishers too. I am nowhere near.
I'm looking forward to seeing this painted - pity we'll have to wait. At least I'll get to see it before the rest of you when the pics are submitted for the competition gallery  >:D  >:D
Which reminds me, I have to sort out an email address for that!

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2022, 08:43:10 PM »
Impressive! I love the narrative and I'm looking forward to seeing it painted up.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2022, 09:26:32 PM »
A bit good this 8)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2022, 09:42:56 AM »
It looks amazing and I think it will make quite the game!

One question, will it be like that you can cover the lower levels if the player(s) have not yet been there? So that you will only reveal a level once they get there? Maybe you have told this before and I've missed it, in that case I'm sorry for asking again :)
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2022, 10:14:09 AM »
That's fantastic 8) 8) 8)
 It all finally make sense to my addled brain  :?  lol

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2022, 12:36:34 PM »
Looks very nice and I'm sure the painting will make it even better.

I have a question though:
5. The end of the tunnel connects to a well shaft.  If the investigating character looks up they will be able to see a small circle of  the night sky above them (undoubtedly it will be a full moon). The character can reach out and grasp the rope hanging down In front of them and climb down the rope until they reach the bucket below (as mentioned above, the rope and bucket is still to added). At the bottom of the well shaft is an entrance to another passageway.

Your well have a roof. Wouldn't that hinder seeing the night sky?

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2022, 01:10:48 PM »
Thanks all! I hope I can give it a decent paint job in the time left as I have not painted anything quite like this before so will be learning on the job!

LordOdo: That is an excellent idea! It was not part of my plan but can be added fairly easily with black cardboard as a screen. I must remember not to show the build to my gaming friends until we are ready to play!

McMordain: Hmm, good point. I think I let myself get carried away and over-embellished my description for narrative effect.  Unless, of course, there is a hole in the well roof? Now where is my craft knife?

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2022, 02:09:02 PM »
Worth taking your time over the paintwork….this is bloody fantastic!   

Really cool idea and beautifully executed.   Cracking piece of work.