Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 01:19:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691337
  • Total Topics: 118387
  • Online Today: 628
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Glenning's AWI adventures (Continentals and Militia added - February 26th)  (Read 18120 times)

Offline glenning

• Librarian
Hello again! In this thread I'll showcase my AWI project - focusing on Loyalists, Patriot Militia, Native American warriors and the odd Continentals and British soldiers. Most of the minis featured in this thread are Perry ones with some subtle conversions here and there.

Let's start with some Loyalist guerillas of the so-called Black Brigade. Perry mini's with some head swaps. I'm going to do a small warband of 12 so stay tuned for more.

The so-called Black Brigade was led by one of the British Crown's most competent guerilla commanders - the ex-slave Titus Cornelius, also known as Titus, Tye, and famously as Colonel Tye. Colonel Tye first led a mixed unit of black and white Loyalist guerillas and later went on to lead the "Black Brigade" - a small but effective guerilla force made up of ex-slaves of African descent.

Tye and his fellow guerrilla fighters operated out of a forested base called Refugeetown in Sandy Hook, NJ and often targeted wealthy, slaveholding Patriots during their assaults. Tye led several successful raids during the summer of 1779, seizing food and fuel, taking prisoners - and freeing many slaves.
Tye's group often worked in tandem with another famous and effective white Loyalist unit - the "Queen's Rangers".

The Black Brigade often aimed their raids at former masters and their friends. Because the members of the Black Brigade knew the homes of Patriots from their time as slaves as well as the local terrain, the Patriots in the New Jersey area often feared the Black Brigade more than the regular British army.

Tye was one of the most respected, feared and effective guerrilla leaders opposing the American patriot forces in central New Jersey but he eventually succumbed to a wound sustained while fighting the Patriots, and died in 1780 - aged 27.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 11:48:38 AM by glenning »

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Glenning's AWI adventures
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 06:14:32 PM »
Superb painting giving them a lot of character. Interesting background.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 06:21:22 PM »
Very nice, love the palette  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline glenning

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 07:46:20 PM »
Thanks a lot! Just noticed this thread is in the wrong section though - my bad. Maybe the moderator can move it? Thanks in advance!

In the meantime, here's a pic of some of the the opponents of the Black Brigade, three Patriot militiamen in shirt sleeve order, from Perry Miniatures:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 11:13:21 PM by glenning »

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 07:48:50 PM »
Very nice, and very interesting. Are these Perry AWI figures with head swaps?

Offline glenning

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 07:50:19 PM »
@Paul Richardson - Correct! Some are from their "Ethopian regiment" sets so no headswaps needed there, the others are Perry "Southern Militia" with headswaps from the "Black militia" set as well as some plastic bare heads from Perry's Zulu range - photos will follow.  :)

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 09:07:45 PM »
Fascinating historical treatment, and I'm looking forward to watching your posting progress here!

Offline Ceeteegee

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 10:41:22 PM »
Really nice work and a very interesting piece of history to boot. Queens Rangers are next on my list just as soon as I've completed Butler's men. Looks like I might have to add another unit to my wish list.

Offline Pan Marek

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2022, 10:45:55 PM »
Glenning-  Fantastic minis and your history is spot on.   I live in NJ, and am familiar with Tye. 
Not to nitpick, but it was my impression that the Black Brigade was mounted.  Am I getting it confused with Tye's earlier guerilla band?

Do you have any sources you can recommend?

Offline glenning

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2022, 11:27:35 PM »
Thanks guys!

@Pan Marek, AFAIK and according to my main sources - the book "Black Loyalists and Patriots" by Alan Gilbert as well as the Wiki-page, they seems to have fought primarily on foot.

@Ceeteegee I'm planning to do a unit of Queen's Rangers as well!

I've recently finished a couple of Butler's Rangers for my Mohawk Valley project, a pair of slightly converted Butler's Rangers - based on the figures from Perry Miniatures latest release. I've replaced the caps, and the waving hand on one of the Rangers has been replaced with a reloading one (from one of the plastic AWI kits). I've also added some tattered feathers using green stuff. The exact uniform worn by this infamous unit has been up for debate for a long time as you might know, and I went with green coats faced white with black, round hats.

I wanted them to look pretty rag tag with worn clothing and some Native American and civilian items thrown in the mix - inspired by the great artwork of Don Troiani. 2 done - 8 more to go!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2022, 11:29:59 PM »
Great work!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2022, 12:12:15 AM »
Great stuff!

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2022, 05:50:04 AM »
Very impressive work, some great painting and conversion work. Nice to get a bit of history too, especially on Colonel Tye, very interesting character. :)

Offline glenning

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2022, 10:06:09 AM »
Thanks yet again! Here's my latest WIP: A scout belonging to the British Indian Department during the Revolutionary war 1775-1783. I imagine this guy being a Loyalist fighter of mixed European/Native American origin, acting as a scout and interpreter between British/Loyalist units and Native American warriors.

Perry Miniatures metal and plastic parts and green stuff 'bandana'. I'm going to paint the coat red with yllow facings and give the face some warpaint - stay tuned for the finished result! In-game I imagine this guy being used as some kind of special character or objective marker.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2022, 01:03:17 PM »
Fantastic figures! Lovely conversion work! Gorgeous brushwork! And good idea to make an under represented demographic of the participants! A++++
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper