Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:42:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rogue Trader Mentor Legion - Back to the Grav Attack!  (Read 13485 times)

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
Re: Rogue Trader Mentor Legion - Grav-Attack Vehicle WIP2
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2022, 03:45:16 PM »
I'm really loving this. I've been itching to get my old Warzone stuff out of storage, and those models share a case with my RT marine collection.
https://www.instagram.com/notify_grout/
Current projects: collecting way too many vintage Warzone models.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2022, 05:25:16 PM »
Ah, you mean these an elliptical oval cross-section, rather than a round-ended flat oval? I see - I couldn't tell that from the images of the products I found, but I'll take your word for it.
Also, nothing wrong with being fastidious!  ;)
Your wording is a lot better than mine, but yes; it's all about the cross section!  :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2022, 11:15:30 AM »
While still waiting for the spoons to arrive, I've taken to slowly prepping the bottle/vehicle for the final placing of the rest of the bits.

This means that I've now finished sanding the surface smooth and ironing out any faceting on the curves. Remaining is the rounding off of the bottom/rear edge, which I will probably do today.

I've placed the rear/bottom gapfillers, and puttied over the gaps in the hull sections, and sanded those flush with the surface as well. Some I had to do twice, since the Apoxy Sculpt did not grip the underlying surface as well as it should. I did the second attempt with ProCreate, heavy on the dark component, and this took much better. And because it was harder  due to me going heavy on the gray, it cut and sanded just as well as the Apoxy.

Then I drilled holes for the pins to hold both hull halves together, so they can now be dryfitted.

A good thing, because I had to go in and file/sand down one part of the recessed area between the two halves because it almost sat flush with the front part of the hull there. But this too worked  out pretty well in the end.

A lot of effort just to reproduce what in essence was just a piece of trash, but here we are...  :D

Then I started on the decals, but for some reason Photoshop crashed just as I was finishing up (of course without saving progress along the way). Three hours of work down the drain, and I've not built up the courage and motivation to start on that chore again...  :?

So the only thing still left to do before I can proceed with assembly was the prepping of the Zoids bits by removing the mould lines from all components and filling several hollow areas, which were probably moulded like that to save some material/weight.

I have not bothered with the parts that get glued flush to the hull, but the two tanks(?) flanking the turret did have those unsightly gaps on the undersides, so those were filled and shaped. Just like a couple of attachment holes (for pegs on other parts on the Zoids constructs) on the other parts.

The magnets for the bottom are also still en-route, so until I receive those, I will have to be patient now. Luckily, the mail man dropped off another couple of Marines just now, so I might perhaps start on the second squad :)

Then again; I start a new job next Monday, so hobby time might end up to be so limited that there won't even be time for that... ::)

And just because I can, here's a shot of the assembled hull. The slanted nose section can now be seen well:

Oh, and then there's this thing I've been pondering on for quite some time: the original has panel lines painted on, but I have the opportunity to actually scribe them. Should I go that route, or should I stay 100% true to the original? I'm leaning towards scribing them, as it will look better, and I've already gone ahead and drilled the main gun's barrel and filled holes and gaps in the Zoids parts. Both things Rick did not do on his original...  :-X

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Rogue Trader Mentor Legion - Grav-Attack Vehicle WIP3
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2022, 11:20:54 AM »
As it’s an updated version, I’d scribe them on (it’ll make it easier to paint as well).
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2022, 12:03:57 PM »
Definitely scribe them on if you have the patience- a homage can be better (thought out and executed) than the original.

BALM
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2022, 06:11:14 PM »
I'm watching this with eager eyes!  Your dedication to the right type of spoon, and gathering up the Zoid parts is inspirational.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2022, 11:49:08 AM »
Cheers :)

The project is a bit on hiatus at the moment because of starting a new job, getting hit with COVID Delta and also because I'm pondering what to do with my (first) grav vehicle after a series of mishaps during scribing the panel lines.

See; I'm used to the relative softness of polystyrene when scribing, and the ABS-like resin I used for the print is rock hard. So there were many, many slips and other accidents during the scribing process, which stalled halfway through, disgusted as I was with the very sub-par results.

Also, because it's harder, I broke one of my finer scriber points, so I took to using a more heavy duty one. This worked (bar the slippage), but I fear the resulting lines are way too broad now.

So I'm contemplating re-doing the entire design, scaled up quite a bit (according to YPU's suggestion), and then adding the panel lines into the design. This way they will be uniform on both vehicles (I'm still planning to do two), and I can control just how deep and wide they get. Also; making them across complex curves may be a bit less difficult this way (this is where I struggled the most).

But I'm still gathering up courage to restart the entire design from scratch (no pun intended lol ).

As an aside; the spoons have finally arrived :D I've already prepped/split one to be used as both the turret and the cockpit.

In the meantime though, I've started painting the second squad of six and having fun with them. Pics to follow shortly.

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2022, 10:20:44 PM »
Not that I'm delighting in your misery, but I saw you were going to scribe and felt envious because I don't have any of the tools to do that.  So secretly glad that reworking the 3D model is the way you're going there.

And get well soon!

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2022, 03:02:04 AM »
Cool project :)

Always liked the Mentors.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2022, 08:43:43 PM »
So I finally got myself together and went on to finish the next Mentor Legion squad that had been on my desk since January.

It's another squad of six, to fit in their Razorback Grav Attack Vehicle, just like the first one. But of course the grav vehicles are up for a redesign, and are not available just yet...

This time I chose a bit more wisely than I did with the first squad, to get some marines together that would work well as a team. And this squad is all about close range firepower and vehicle destruction, where the first squad will adopt a more standoff-ish role.

This is very evident by the Veteran Sergeant toting a Powerfist:

Second is a medic. It just seemed prudent to bring someone along who can dole out some band-aids and battlefield blood transfusions (the blood drops on his leg armour signify 'battlefield transfusions that left him near death, but from which he subsequently recovered', as per the little red book ;) ):

Then we have a veteran marine who is sporting some extra targeting equipment to help out his brethren with their aim:

The next marine is carrying an experimental Needler Rifle, which will count as a standard Bolter for gaming purposes. Exotic weaponry is one of the things the Mentor Legion is known for. After all, they're the test bed chapter for recovered, new and alien technology before the Admech approves it for general use with mainstream Imperial forces:

Then we get to the meat of the squad, when talking about firepower; the two Melta weapons. They have a Meltagun and a Multimelta respectively; enough to slag even the largest of tanks:

And here's a group shot of the new additions to my 888th chapter:

But then I figured that the composition of the squads should change a bit, to better emphasise their roles. So I moved the calculation veteran and the Needler to the long range squad, and moved two of the earlier marines to the new squad. One of which is into taking heads, so obviously he likes to get up close and personal...

With the small caveat that I might eventually move the calculation veteran to a Devastator squad, once I get around to painting one of those. But he's right at home where he is for now I reckon.

And I will conclude with a shot of the force as it stands now, although 'force' might still be a bit of an overstatement at this point:

Next up is something a bit more juicy; either a Dreadnought a Terminator squad or maybe something a lot more exotic, such as a Field Police bike!  :)

Oh; and I have been thinking about adding a squad number to each marine's right greave, to better discern them on the battlefield. But Rogue Trader marines don't sport those at all; that's more of a 1.5th or 2nd edition addition. Do you think it would suit them?

Also; since the Mentor Legion would appear to have been the epitome of discipline and an example to all Imperial forces they were attached to as Tutors, I'm still on the fence about the ubiquitous 'kil kil kil' markings and the like.

Those are classic RT, but might not quite suit the super correct Mentor Legion. What do you reckon?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 07:12:00 AM by Daeothar »

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: Rogue Trader Mentor Legion - Second squad done
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2022, 11:50:03 AM »
Those are so cool. What a great project.

I'd leave off the 'Kil' on Mentor armor.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2022, 11:57:12 AM »
They look tip top  8)

I'd leave off the 'kil' and squad markings to be honest, I think they look better unadorned.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2022, 01:07:00 PM »
How the hell did I miss this thread!??!
 :o :o :o

Top drawer all around, mate.
Absolutely gorgeous and meticulous painting (as I have come to expect, to be honest).
Huge amounts of kudos for doing the Mentors justice, one of the reasons I chose the Space Sharks scheme as it was more forgiving over a large number of figures.
Your Mentors look pristine and so crisp.
 :-* :-*

I'd leave off the 'Kil' on Mentor armor.

I'd leave off the 'kil' and squad markings to be honest, I think they look better unadorned.

I would leave off posting any more pictures as you are putting me to shame!
 ;)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2022, 01:43:21 PM »
Yeah, these are RT perfection.  Great work.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2022, 03:51:40 PM »
Excellent Chapter 888 Sir!
Yes I think also that the Mentors would be above such things as kill markings.

Very, very nicely done  :D
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.