Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:51:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 10mm Middle-Earth minis (new building paintjob 22.7.)  (Read 4318 times)

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
10mm Middle-Earth minis (new building paintjob 22.7.)
« on: January 12, 2022, 01:29:45 PM »
These have been gathering dust long enough, all I really needed to do now was to base them.

I am using them as Dunlendings or similar light skirmishers, these are Pendraken Gauls and a smattering of Vikings (?) I think. Of course, they would work pretty well as actual Gauls too... lol

GW LoTR mini for scale.

They make suitably chaotic formations in comparison with the regular BoFA and Copplestone minis, which are basically sticks of several miniatures. More to come later, I hope. Will be using BoFA / Warhamster ruleset
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 06:07:14 PM by Verderer »

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
Re: 10mm Middle-Earth minis
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 06:01:09 PM »
Next batch is more humans, let's call them iron shields... maybe some sort of evil/mercanary types? I think these are Old Glory Goths, if memory serves?

I tried brushed on white base coat with a black wash to outline the details, but it didn't really work. The end result is a bit murky anyways. You need bright white priming with such small minis to make the colours pop, even with evil troops. So next I am going for airbrushing a solid white base coat, and then block paint the colors from there.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 06:38:44 PM »
These are cool. I’ve not seen the ‘iron shields’ before they are nice figures.

I quite like black undercoat for armoured 10mm figures.

The Copplestone figures are very nice. The BoFA ones OK, but a bit flat due to being in 40mm strips.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 08:12:19 PM »
They look good. I find a grey primer is a good compromise.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 09:10:41 PM »
Stunnng work there!  Beautiful.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 04:10:43 PM »
I like those very much. Also the dark heavies!

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 07:18:08 AM »
Thanks folks! While this is going on, I have my  3d printer working on some terrain:

This is wall section I got from My Mini Factory (Dark Realms stuff), I think it's fairly Minas Tirithesque, right? Lots of wonderful stuff there, but it will take ages to print on my Ender 3... I am looking maybe hiring some local printing service, would get better quality too.

I scaled the original plans down to 40% which seems to work ok, looks about right and the stands fit on the ramparts. These would work fab for LoTR in the original scale of course, but at the moment I am not into that. The designer has made some elven and dwarven stuff which looks nice, and they even got 'gates of Mordor' type of model! :o

These are detailed inside as well, so they're a bit too fiddly for 10mm to be honest, but they have printed ok, so I dont' mind the extra detail. No doubt they could be simplified by removing the interior details. I am probable going to work on the crenellations a bit, I don't like them as they are, need a bit putty to fill out the centers etc. Also, the walls are perhaps overly detailed, I am not sure what purpose those arches serve on the wall structures? But over all, very happy to have found these.

Oh yes, this wall set is modular of course and includes a gate too, so I will be printing those in time. The vertical modularity is a bit limited, but they print in four levels. So I think you could eliminate a level either from the bottom or the middle, if you didn't need quite so imposing and tall structure.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 07:29:18 AM by Verderer »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 07:09:22 PM »
They look good.

I agree that you could easily loose one level, and still have a good tall wall

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 07:33:41 AM »
That looks excellent! :o
I sold most of my 10mm middle earth stuff after becoming frustrated with the lack of support … maybe I should have waited for 3d printers taking off  ???

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2022, 12:21:53 AM »
Those look awesome do love 10mm and doing big battles and especially a siege makes a great deal of sense in this scale.

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2022, 07:19:17 PM »

GW LoTR mini for scale.

Some pictures tell a story. This is the one that popped into my brain when I saw this picture:

"Hey, you runty little weirdos- get moving! I said NOW! And put some pants on, nobody needs to see that!" (that one guy with the big stride on the left is naked, correct?)

"Hire a summoner, they said. It'll be cheaper than hiring troops, they said. Bah! The imbecile couldn't even get the size right!"
https://www.instagram.com/notify_grout/
Current projects: collecting way too many vintage Warzone models.

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2022, 08:59:54 AM »
 :D

Anyways, I've been extremely busy working overtime, so no chance to paint anything... but each morning I've turned on my D3 printer to churn some more pieces, so it's kinda like I was modelling while working! o_o

So far I've got this far with the wall sections, there's a gateway piece with working doors and portcullis, and two towers with 4 regular wall sections.
I will print some more, and I'd like to do a proper tower, these small ones don't really do it. But that would require some customizing the models, since there's no such thing in the collection.

I've also printed some houses to go with the walls, from the same series. There's some more & statues, plus of course damaged versions of the walls and houses...

This is how the wall can be used as lower versions: you can just remove the bottom story, so it works quite well like that. And the gate section is constructed so that the entrance is raised some, so you need to print a ramp or stairs to access it (bot h are included), or you can build a mote or something. If you remove the ground level, then the gate is useful as is. You could go further and remove even the 1st floor, but then you wouldn't have a gate. Might work like that in some cases, if you needed a low section someplace, or want to do some concentric defence lines or some such megalomaniac project... because why not?

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
Re: 10mm Middle-Earth minis (21.07.22)
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2022, 06:04:47 PM »
Experimenting with painting buildings, here's the first house:

For 10mm, this is perhaps needlessly complex, what with detailed interiors, and opening doors. But I am not skilled enough in 3D design to fill out the houses, and since the printer was capable of printing details and all (barely), so why not. Saves some filament too. With my new resin printer I expect the results will be better in regards to layer lines etc. With the old filament printer, they're visible, but only if you look closer. So playable, I think.

The paint job looks a bit drab in the photos, it's a bit brighter in reality. But I will try to make the paint scheme even lighter to get that Minas Tirith look more. Don't want to make the buildings all white, but considering this scale, it certainly needs to be fairly light overall.  I added some stones in different color too, but looks like the wash pretty much toned them down. But again, considering the scale, don't want to make it too patchy?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 06:06:34 PM by Verderer »

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
Re: 10mm Middle-Earth minis (new building paintjob 22.7.)
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2022, 11:05:15 AM »
Painted a second building, slightly smaller.

Offline Fred Mills

• Bookworm
Re: 10mm Middle-Earth minis (new building paintjob 22.7.)
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2022, 11:13:51 AM »
Super interesting project!